What's new

Back Issues

I have another back/hip surgery scheduled for next Thursday, April 28th. Tbh, I'm not sure if it's considered back, hip or something else surgery.

I'm having my SI Joint fused. :/

At this point, I'm not surprised. I'm just tired of all these surgeries.

This is the one that scares me the most though. I fear it's gonna mess me up the most and permanently disable me.

I gotta figure and plan things out for next week cause I'm flying solo. I got this.

I hope it solves my problem/problems. Pretty miserable but bearable to live with. Either they're gonna fix it or make it worse.

Should be interesting.
That really sucks, sorry to hear that. I hope you recover fast.

I have another back/hip surgery scheduled for next Thursday, April 28th. Tbh, I'm not sure if it's considered back, hip or something else surgery.

I'm having my SI Joint fused. :/

At this point, I'm not surprised. I'm just tired of all these surgeries.

This is the one that scares me the most though. I fear it's gonna mess me up the most and permanently disable me.

I gotta figure and plan things out for next week cause I'm flying solo. I got this.

I hope it solves my problem/problems. Pretty miserable but bearable to live with. Either they're gonna fix it or make it worse.

Should be interesting.
Good luck. Hope it goes well. Back stuff sucks.

I started wearing shoes in the house. Bought brand new ones and they’ll be for inside only. Slippers offer no ****ing support. It seems to have helped quite a bit. We only have hardwoods and tile too so walking barefoot or with slippers is no bueno.

Also having good pillows makes a massive difference. I always sleep on my back. We went on vacation. At the Marriott they had those really small. Ultra down pillows. I actually used one under my head Nd between my knee as I slept on my side and I was fine. Neck issues got a little better tbh.

Also having good pillows makes a massive difference. I always sleep on my back. We went on vacation. At the Marriott they had those really small. Ultra down pillows. I actually used one under my head Nd between my knee as I slept on my side and I was fine. Neck issues got a little better tbh.
Do you have an adjustable base for your mattress? They can be pricey but might be worth looking at.

Is mattress helping
What kind

I guess it helps?

Honestly, I forget why kind. My wife is saying Beauty Rest.

I think what helps the most is doing my stretching/core routine every morning or almost every morning. And staying active in other ways on top of that. Walking, lifting (lighter weights), yard work, etcetera. On top of that, wearing the new shoes in the house has really helped a lot.

Last edited:
My back not any where as bad as all yours
Don't like adjustable beds either
Got a wedge pillow
That seems to help
Have a reclining chair will sometimes sleep in for an hour or two
That seems to help

I have an ergonomic chair at work which helps a ton. Any other chair in my building kills my back. I can sit in my ergonomic one for hours straight and it’s basically fine.

I guess it helps?

Honestly, I forget why kind. My wife is saying Beauty Rest.

I think what helps the most is doing my stretching/core routine every morning or almost every morning. And staying active in other ways on top of that. Walking, lifting (lighter weights), yard work, etcetera.
Yeah I have a stretching routine I do in the shower under hot water so everything is loose to keep my shoulder and back and neck flexible. If I miss it for a few days my pain gets markedly worse.

We got a new mattress maybe a year ago and I'm already wanting to look for a new one again. I can only sleep on my left side, literally barely moving all night, so if the balance is firmness and softness isn't nearly perfect my neck ends up at a bad angle during the night, putting stress on the metal rods holding everything together, and sometimes it's bad enough I can't function. So after a while with a new mattress even mild swaying or a mild divot developing where I sleep can **** everything up. Funny thing is we had a Simmons for about 10 years that held it's form better than any mattresses we've had before or since, but it was before the trend to put memory foam in everything and add layers and layers of different kinds of foam. I'm convinced the trendy new way of building these "hybrid" mattresses make them hold up worse. That one was all natural materials, with the whole pocketed coil thing, and cotton batting and high-density latex foam. I wish we had never gotten rid of it. But since we did we've gone through 3 mattresses, I'm afraid soon to be 4, and basically given them away with only 2-4 years on the mattress. Mostly to my kids so that's good. I'm tempted to go fully custom on my next mattress, but those are $10k+. Maybe I can get insurance to pay for it.

LOLOL as if insurance in America does jack-**** for anything.

Yeah I have a stretching routine I do in the shower under hot water so everything is loose to keep my shoulder and back and neck flexible. If I miss it for a few days my pain gets markedly worse.

We got a new mattress maybe a year ago and I'm already wanting to look for a new one again. I can only sleep on my left side, literally barely moving all night, so if the balance is firmness and softness isn't nearly perfect my neck ends up at a bad angle during the night, putting stress on the metal rods holding everything together, and sometimes it's bad enough I can't function. So after a while with a new mattress even mild swaying or a mild divot developing where I sleep can **** everything up. Funny thing is we had a Simmons for about 10 years that held it's form better than any mattresses we've had before or since, but it was before the trend to put memory foam in everything and add layers and layers of different kinds of foam. I'm convinced the trendy new way of building these "hybrid" mattresses make them hold up worse. That one was all natural materials, with the whole pocketed coil thing, and cotton batting and high-density latex foam. I wish we had never gotten rid of it. But since we did we've gone through 3 mattresses, I'm afraid soon to be 4, and basically given them away with only 2-4 years on the mattress. Mostly to my kids so that's good. I'm tempted to go fully custom on my next mattress, but those are $10k+. Maybe I can get insurance to pay for it.

LOLOL as if insurance in America does jack-**** for anything.

That sucks bro. I completely agree on the divots comment. Ours is only nine months old and I can already feel it sinking in certain parts where I always lie. It’s fine for the most part but my head feels like it feels a coil or something a bit and there’s really no where else for me to move my head enough so I don’t feel it or I am essentially shifting my whole body over six inches to the left or right which doesn’t work because six inches to the right and I’m falling off the bed and six to the left and I’m in a spot that is half in the bodily divot half not.

That sucks bro. I completely agree on the divots comment. Ours is only nine months old and I can already feel it sinking in certain parts where I always lie. It’s fine for the most part but my head feels like it feels a coil or something a bit and there’s really no where else for me to move my head enough so I don’t feel it or I am essentially shifting my whole body over six inches to the left or right which doesn’t work because six inches to the right and I’m falling off the bed and six to the left and I’m in a spot that is half in the bodily divot half not.
Yep. Do you rotate the mattress? Mattresses nowadays can't really be flipped over, back when I first got married most every mattress was made like basic twin mattresses are now, the same construction all the way through, and we flipped it over and rotated it to extend it's useful life. They don't make them that way anymore, but I do rotate mine 180 degrees every couple of months to try to minimize the swaying. I think it helps.

This is another reason I'm thinking of going custom and getting a Wyoming king size mattress. Those are 7 ft X 7 ft, so it's square. Then I could rotate it 90 degrees at a time and hopefully even out the swaying to extend the life of the mattress.

I have a one inch foam pad I use for my stretching and core routine. If they sold a 1.5-2 inch one, I would legit consider sleeping on it in the living room. It’s only about what, two feet wide, so wider would also be better but yeah, that foam pad would be sweet. Cheap. And I could just get a new one every 3 months and it would be way cheaper than a mattress.

Yep. Do you rotate the mattress? Mattresses nowadays can't really be flipped over, back when I first got married most every mattress was made like basic twin mattresses are now, the same construction all the way through, and we flipped it over and rotated it to extend it's useful life. They don't make them that way anymore, but I do rotate mine 180 degrees every couple of months to try to minimize the swaying. I think it helps.

This is another reason I'm thinking of going custom and getting a Wyoming king size mattress. Those are 7 ft X 7 ft, so it's square. Then I could rotate it 90 degrees at a time and hopefully even out the swaying to extend the life of the mattress.

No. We should now but my wife’s a bigger woman and I’m terrified at how her side of the mattress will feel. Though truth be told, my upper half will be where her legs are.

No. We should now but my wife’s a bigger woman and I’m terrified at how her side of the mattress will feel. Though truth be told, my upper half will be where her legs are.
Yeah over time it does get weird a bit since we are shaped differently and different heights. The benefit for me is my wife is a wandering sleeper, she's all over the place. So it minimizes her divot, or spreads it out. I essentially sleep on the same 2 foot section all the time basically without moving. So it works pretty well for us.

Yeah over time it does get weird a bit since we are shaped differently and different heights. The benefit for me is my wife is a wandering sleeper, she's all over the place. So it minimizes her divot, or spreads it out. I essentially sleep on the same 2 foot section all the time basically without moving. So it works pretty well for us.

Yeah my wife moves a lot too so I think I could be okay.