What's new

Backup PG thoughts

NotDeadYet

Earl Watson is one of the stupidest basketball players I have ever had to honor of watching.

Wow - that Jeremy Lin looks awesome. I'd love to have him back up DW.

LA,Dallas, and an eastern conference team are all in talks about getting him a contract, doubt he comes to Utah.

He probably has a lunch scheduled with Kobe already.

Lin certainly looks good, but he's gonna want to play behind DWill. Not gonna happen here...

No, I have never seen Watson play. In what area of the game is he "stupid"? A 9 year vet must be doin' somethin' right to have stuck around. His numbers indicate he gets the ball to shooters and not turn it over, which neither Ronnie nor Sundiata excel at; both are drivers/scorers.
A little background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Watson

Lin certainly looks good, but he's gonna want to play behind DWill. Not gonna happen here...

I assume you meant he's NOT gonna want to play behind DWill.

My rebuttal:
Lin went undrafted. He's considering the following options: Europe or D-league hoping to get called up. He's smart, right? He knows beggars can't be choosers - and given his choices I think he'd be elated to play behind DWill.

Well if the kid is any good why would he want to go to the Lakers or Mavs where he will just sit on th bench. Lakers have Fisher and Blake, Mavs have Kidd, the French guy and Bareas (?). He will sit on the bench in Dallas. If he is as good as people are saying he should be able to beat out Price and Gaines for the backup. If I were Lin I would rather play then sit because if Lin plays well he can get a bigger contract earlier (Just like Wes).

Too the words right out of my mouth! Any agent worth his salt should be telling their younger clients the story of Wes Matthews... And Paul Millsap... and a few others.
We may not win championships,but we have to be the best teachers among the 32 NBA staffs!

Too the words right out of my mouth! Any agent worth his salt should be telling their younger clients the story of Wes Matthews... And Paul Millsap... and a few others.
We may not win championships,but we have to be the best teachers among the 32 NBA staffs!
I wouldn't go that far. Look how many players the Warriors have pulled out of the D-League who have signed good deals afterwards. It's all about opportunity. Had CJ and Korver not gone down, Wesley may have not even made the team out of training camp. And had the Jazz brass really thought about long-term implications, they probably should have kept Brewer around or started Korver instead of giving Matthews the starting role and all that attention. Of course, that's hindsight. No one in their right mind would EVER give a guy who had only started 1/2 year a contract for the full MLE.