What's new

Beef Brisket

The Thriller

I need some more coin so I don’t have a smoker yet. But this summer I’ve really got a craving for some good beef brisket. I thought I’d use a slow cooker and cook it on low for 8-10 hours and give it a taste sometime this week with some corn and mashed potatoes.

However, I have a question with rubs. Do any of you have any favorite rubs? I was thinking about this one:

https://www.recipetineats.com/slow-cooker-beef-brisket-with-bbq-sauce/

What do you think?

Someday I’ll have a smoker but until then this’ll have to do. Feel free to turn this thread to your favorite bbq recipes. I’ll post one of my favorite chicken marinades later.

I need some more coin so I don’t have a smoker yet. But this summer I’ve really got a craving for some good beef brisket. I thought I’d use a slow cooker and cook it on low for 8-10 hours and give it a taste sometime this week with some corn and mashed potatoes.

However, I have a question with rubs. Do any of you have any favorite rubs? I was thinking about this one:

https://www.recipetineats.com/slow-cooker-beef-brisket-with-bbq-sauce/

What do you think?

Someday I’ll have a smoker but until then this’ll have to do. Feel free to turn this thread to your favorite bbq recipes. I’ll post one of my favorite chicken marinades later.
That rub looks pretty good. I use those same ingredients, sometimes I add cayenne and my ratio of brown sugar to paprika is higher on the paprika side. I also usually add dry parsley. I don't do a lot of careful measurement. easy enough to taste and adjust as you see fit.

Not to hijack this thread but I made some killer ribeyes the other day. I’m getting really good with them and these weren’t even dry-aged which are sooooo much better.

Pre-cast iron. Breathing. One slathered in mayo. Yep. Trust me.

upload_2019-7-20_20-35-25.jpeg

Afterward. I’d give them an 8/10. I’m a tough judge. Dry-aged would’ve probably brought them to a 9/10.

upload_2019-7-20_20-36-14.jpeg

Medium rare.

upload_2019-7-20_20-38-5.jpeg

Total dinner. Corn salad is the best damn summer dish. Made a mayo-less slaw too. And roasted baby potatoes.

upload_2019-7-20_20-36-59.jpeg

That rub looks pretty good. I use those same ingredients, sometimes I add cayenne and my ratio of brown sugar to paprika is higher on the paprika side. I also usually add dry parsley. I don't do a lot of careful measurement. easy enough to taste and adjust as you see fit.

Cool! Good info. Thanks!

I was thinking about adding a few sliced onions onions and some liquid smoke for flavor. Do you add any of that or do you use a smoker so the smoker already gives it a smokey flavor?

Thriller has me blocked, but can somebody let him know a Pit Barrel Cooker is cheap, easy, and your food tastes better than it would with a traeger. I've used both many times. Traeger is more versatile, PBC is better for smoking.

Somebody let him know! Smoking is important business.

Let your ribeyes sit for 10-15 after cooking is the key. Even like an hour is good and then just throw them on the oven super low for 5-7 to heat them a bit. That time allows the juices and flavors to mix together better.

Dude, those ribeyes look amazing.

How do you dry age your meat? Do you do this:

https://www.finecooking.com/article/how-to-dry-age-beef-at-home

And what did you put on your ribeye? Mayo, pepper, and salt?

How long did you cook/sear them on each side on your cast iron?

Not to hijack this thread but I made some killer ribeyes the other day. I’m getting really good with them and these weren’t even dry-aged which are sooooo much better.

Pre-cast iron. Breathing. One slathered in mayo. Yep. Trust me.

View attachment 7769

Afterward. I’d give them an 8/10. I’m a tough judge. Dry-aged would’ve probably brought them to a 9/10.

View attachment 7770

Medium rare.

View attachment 7772

Total dinner. Corn salad is the best damn summer dish. Made a mayo-less slaw too. And roasted baby potatoes.

View attachment 7771
I'll have to give mayo on steak a try sometime. It works great on grilled cheese sandwiches too.

Last edited:
I'll have to give mayo on steak a try sometime. It works great on grill cheese sandwiches too.

Mayonnaise is to tenderize the meat and helps keep it from drying out during grilling. I'm not sure that's a concern with grilled cheese, but maybe it would tenderize the bread if you're using a tougher bread?
:)

Mayonnaise is to tenderize the meat and helps keep it from drying out during grilling. I'm not sure that's a concern with grilled cheese, but maybe it would tenderize the bread if you're using a tougher bread?
:)
Haha definitely not meant to serve the same purpose on a grilled cheese sandwich, I just brought it up because it tastes good.

Dude, those ribeyes look amazing.

How do you dry age your meat? Do you do this:

https://www.finecooking.com/article/how-to-dry-age-beef-at-home

And what did you put on your ribeye? Mayo, pepper, and salt?

How long did you cook/sear them on each side on your cast iron?

Yep. I generously salt and pepper each side with just a tinge of garlic powder (like 1-2% of salt and pepper) and let them breathe an hour. About 40 minutes into that, I put my cast iron on my grill outside which gets up to about 550, and slathered the one in mayo...Most stud steakhouses’ ovens get well above 1,000 degrees. Anyway, after that hour of sitting and the grill/cast heating up, I threw them on the cast iron and closed the grill top and let them sit for 3 minutes and 45 seconds. At that point, I opened the cover and flipped them to the other side for another 3:45. I immediately took them off, brought them inside, and put butter on top—I try to have it touch all the meat...then flipped over and buttered other side too. You really don’t need that much butter to do that. Now, these ribeyes were a legit 1.5 inches, hence my 3:45 per side. If they were 1.25, I probably would’ve done just 3:00-3:15 per side.

You basically have to get a feel for your grill or cooking instrument and the depth of the steak.

So far as dry aging, I do not do it myself. I just buy them from a market either like these or the dry aged kind which cost twice as much.