What's new

Beer Recomendations

I prefer brown ales, bocks, porters, stouts .... dark stuff ....Not a fan of IPA's so far

A man after my own heart. Try Mississippi Mud (a black and tan), Guinness Black Lager, Chimay (I like the red label best but the blue is pretty damn good too), Unibrou Terrible or Maudite, Lucifer, Epic 825 State Stout...

The Unibrou and Chimay are Belgium abbey type ales. Somewhat heavy but very flavorful. They go awesome with a steak or big burger. People that like pilsner type brews typically hate the Belgium abbey style ales. Too much flavor.

Guinness is the best. I prefer dark beers. Dont be a light beer wussy.
What's funny is that Guinness has as much alcohol and calories as Bud Light. People equate color to it being a big, filling, high alcohol beer. But it's not. It's a dark colored light beer with some roasted malts that give it the stout flavor and color.

Wish I could really help, but I'm more book smart about beer than I am experienced. Tons of beers listed here I've never tried and many I've never heard of.

I like Epic's Galloway Porter and 825 State Stout. Haven't had too many brown ales, but the few I've tried recently I've liked, but they haven't been from the LQ. Wasatch Evolution Ale is pretty good, although tastes a bit watery.

If you want what I consider a good example of an IPA I'd give Lagunitas IPA a try.

I might offer up some homebrew but I've been out. The cold weather has killed my motivation to get outside and make beer.

What's funny is that Guinness has as much alcohol and calories as Bud Light. People equate color to it being a big, filling, high alcohol beer. But it's not. It's a dark colored light beer with some roasted malts that give it the stout flavor and color.

This.

So, inspired by this thread I purchased Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale and Full Sail Limited Edition Brown Pub Series (avail for 90 days only according to the bottle) from the liquor store. Haven't tried them yet. Tune in tomorrow for my full report.

I also have inside info that another frequent poster has produced his own Brown Ale. Maybe that person should chime in with some advice, eh?

You need to hop on a plane and head to Munich. We will first go to the a local brewery around the corner from the airport where they give you a white
horse if you can drink their strongest beer. From there we will come to my home town. Home to amazing local breweries, perhaps the best in bavaria.
The one a stonesthrow a way from from apartment was established in 1499. We'll start with a Keller Bier. Prepare to have your mind blown. This is what
beer tasted like ages ago. Less filter, and from the Keller, or basement. It's smooth, strong, and delicious. Necktar from the Gods good. After I pick you up
from the floor of the bar you will next try a Knappentrunk. A little darker, slight carmel flavor, smooth, but strong. At this point you may be doing the chicken dance,and be getting stares from the locals. Next will go with a Superator. Their strongest smoothest beer available. If you have any sense to you at this point we can hit up one of the 5 other breweries in the area.....they are all good.
Or you can just pick up a 6er of Miller Lite, and call it day.

You need to hop on a plane and head to Munich. We will first go to the a local brewery around the corner from the airport where they give you a white
horse if you can drink their strongest beer. From there we will come to my home town. Home to amazing local breweries, perhaps the best in bavaria.
The one a stonesthrow a way from from apartment was established in 1499. We'll start with a Keller Bier. Prepare to have your mind blown. This is what
beer tasted like ages ago. Less filter, and from the Keller, or basement. It's smooth, strong, and delicious. Necktar from the Gods good. After I pick you up
from the floor of the bar you will next try a Knappentrunk. A little darker, slight carmel flavor, smooth, but strong. At this point you may be doing the chicken dance,and be getting stares from the locals. Next will go with a Superator. Their strongest smoothest beer available. If you have any sense to you at this point we can hit up one of the 5 other breweries in the area.....they are all good.
Or you can just pick up a 6er of Miller Lite, and call it day.

Where do I sign up?!?

I drank an EPIC beer, Sour Apple Sasoon or something like that tonight.

It was gross.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of sours. It's a whole different thing. Epic makes a lot of them and I avoid them (sours, not Epic).

I bought 8 different EPICs earlier today .. haven't cracked one yet tonight. Way behind.

Tonight's Catch.

8351623707_15d62c62be.jpg

Ya, didn't taste like beer.

Somebody gave it to me, so oh well.

My sister is a big fan of sours so I asked her to get me a few good examples from San Diego for x-mas. She did...I'm still not a fan.

My sister is a big fan of sours so I asked her to get me a few good examples from San Diego for x-mas. She did...I'm still not a fan.

I honestly don't see how anyone could drink what I drank and want to buy it again. Especially at like $8/ bottle.

I don't mind Shock Tops. I can only drink a couple before they taste too citrus e and filling, but not bad.