What's new

Best BBQ in SLC?

Brisket is far and away the most difficult thing to cook properly, especially on a smoker. I expect better from the commercial places since they generally have easily controllable smokers, but the tough thing for them is making enough for the demand yet finishing it as demands ramps up so the meat doesn't have to sit very long, which dries it out fast. But for a backyard smoker like me it is the pinnacle of the craft. I have actually built a home made insulation sleeve for my smoker specifically for brisket. Brisket is very sensitive to temperature fluctuations. Too high of heat for too long (as little as an hour at 30 degrees over target) can ruin the final product. You need to hold it to a pretty damn tight 15 degree range if you have a hope of getting something good in the end. For me the brisket is the measure of a good bbq joint. Now if they can do great brisket but their other stuff is just ok then it is probably a matter of not really understanding the meat that well overall. Brisket and pork butt and ribs all require different applications to get the best product, all the way down to brines and spice rubs. It is really as much as art as a science in the end.
What smoker do you have? I've been hit and miss with brisket, so I tend to do more pork butts and ribs. I'll be doing a brisket next weekend however.

What smoker do you have? I've been hit and miss with brisket, so I tend to do more pork butts and ribs. I'll be doing a brisket next weekend however.

My friend has cinder blocks.

No, really. It's a stack of cinder blocks. One or two at the bottom are sideways to let a bit of air in, the top has a big tinfoiled rack to keep the smoke in. He has enough blocks to smoke a whole pig, but we usually still with pork butt/shoulder/Godsfavoritebbqmeat. They're pretty cheap, I think we got the first bunch for free.

My friend has cinder blocks.

No, really. It's a stack of cinder blocks. One or two at the bottom are sideways to let a bit of air in, the top has a big tinfoiled rack to keep the smoke in. He has enough blocks to smoke a whole pig, but we usually still with pork butt/shoulder/Godsfavoritebbqmeat. They're pretty cheap, I think we got the first bunch for free.
Never heard of that, but actually sounds kinda cool.

You are hit and miss most likely due to temperature control. It sounds nit picky but minor temp fluctuations can wreak havoc on brisket. They are finicky.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain. This one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_i=B001I8ZTJ0

Can build a fire that holds temp (within 20 degrees without fiddling, 10 if I fiddle with it off and on) for upwards of 10 hours without adding fuel. Built an insulating "house" to put around it when I need to maintain tighter temps without needing to babysit it much, like for brisket, so I can start it off the night before and sleep without worrying about temp spikes.

The cinder blocks would work fine for pork, pork is generally very forgiving. I would imagine it would be hard to hit the right temps for brisket, but it is a cool idea.

My next upgrade to my smoking rig will be this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/IQ120-Temper...TF8&qid=1436907907&sr=8-7&keywords=smoker+fan

Temp is controlled by controlling air flow to the fuel. This is a set it and forget it kind of thing.

I use a Maverick to watch the temps.

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick--73...0&sr=8-2&keywords=maverick+smoker+thermometer

It has a remote so you can be watching TV and the smoker at the same time.

Anyway, that is my general rig. You can get some very good quality barrell smokers for pretty cheap, or make your own. You can even easily turn a Weber or any kettle style grill into a top notch smoker. Smoking meats is to me what brewing is to GF.

Dickeys is excellent. I look at bbq like I do Mexican food. It's hard to do it wrong. Make the sauce good for either and you got it set. The rest is all about price.

We go to Dickeys on Sundays, order one 3 meat plate, get a free kid's plate and free ice cream. It feeds all four of us for $13 and no tip, and we've never had a bad experience.

Cheaper and better than fast food by far. There smoking jobs on the meats isn't bad at all either. But people will knock it because it's not a mom and pops.

Dickeys is excellent. I look at bbq like I do Mexican food. It's hard to do it wrong. Make the sauce good for either and you got it set. The rest is all about price.

We go to Dickeys on Sundays, order one 3 meat plate, get a free kid's plate and free ice cream. It feeds all four of us for $13 and no tip, and we've never had a bad experience.

Cheaper and better than fast food by far. There smoking jobs on the meats isn't bad at all either. But people will knock it because it's not a mom and pops.

I really do like Dickeys. I eat there for lunch all the time.

I get that it's a chain, and I normally don't like fast food chain restaurants. But Dickeys truly is good. The jalapeno beans are really good. Better than any baked beans I've had at any barbecue place.

I usually just get the 3 meat plate as well.

I like a lot of different barbecue places. I try a different one as much as I can, or as much as I see a new one. One of my favorites is Big Al's in Provo. That's really good barbecue.

R&R is my favorite and I'm not a big BBQ fan... place is ridiculously busy especially on Tuesday (brisket tacos) and Friday it seems. Get there at 11 when the doors open.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I really do like Dickeys. I eat there for lunch all the time.

I get that it's a chain, and I normally don't like fast food chain restaurants. But Dickeys truly is good. The jalapeno beans are really good. Better than any baked beans I've had at any barbecue place.

I usually just get the 3 meat plate as well.

I like a lot of different barbecue places. I try a different one as much as I can, or as much as I see a new one. One of my favorites is Big Al's in Provo. That's really good barbecue.
I like dickeys too. Like Frank said, they have really good bbq sauce and I love their jalapeno sausage