Best Free International Texting Apps

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Hello all.

We now live in Leipzig Germany. It has been the move from hell, tbh, but we are here anyway.

We are trying to help our kids keep in touch with their friends in the US, but almost every phone plan we looked into cost anywhere from .06 to 1.00 (euros of course) PER TEXT, which is crazy expensive. Someone recommended Whats App for texting, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for apps that my kids can use to text their friends that are free and do not require all of their friends to use the same app (so text to a normal phone number is best).

TIA

I don't have a suggestion, other than to change your location on your profile, since your real location has now changed.

I use Line to contact my gaming mates in the UK and South Carolina. Very little ads n stuff. Only complaint is it takes about 10 seconds to load.

Never tried kik but it is by far the popular choice.

Im using Line as long as you have a data plan, you can send messages and even make phone calls using your data quota only

whats app and viber are the two apps my relatives back in Kosovo always use to keep in touch with their friends outside their country. I'm not sure which is better, and I don't use either.

What's app and viber are the best! I always use those when I travel outside of the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Gonna give some of these a try. We are starting with Whatsapp and will move on from there if it isn't what we needed. The only tough thing is that you have to get the people you want to text with to use it. Texting from Germany is freaking expensive.

I don't know what your cell phone plan is, but T-Mobile was absolute great for me in Europe. Free texting, Free (throttled) data that never got throttled for us so we could skype and google maps all across europe and calls are 20c/min which we never ended up using because of Skype.

My German cousins all have WhatsApp and according to them everyone has it...my 5c

Hello all.

We now live in Leipzig Germany. It has been the move from hell, tbh, but we are here anyway.

We are trying to help our kids keep in touch with their friends in the US, but almost every phone plan we looked into cost anywhere from .06 to 1.00 (euros of course) PER TEXT, which is crazy expensive. Someone recommended WhatsApp for texting, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for apps that my kids can use to text their friends that are free and do not require all of their friends to use the same app (so text to a normal phone number is best).

TIA

Thanks I will check those out. I have all the church related apps too. they are great for making people think you are paying attention in priesthood.

One irritating thing about my new tablet is the Swype keyboard seems to be way less intuitive than the one on my work phone. Much harder to use and get it to pick the correct word.