What's new

Best stuff on Netflix

ONE LOVE

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
I thought it would be good to have a thread with people's suggestions of what's good hiding away in the Netflix database... Fallenchicken and Sirkicky made some suggestions in the Best movies thread and I've reposted them here...

Give us your best suggestions please!!!

Black Mirror White Christmas was actually the best movie I saw this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDFcTmdQqIc

If you haven't seen Black Mirror, kill yourself, then rise from the grave and watch it (the first two seasons are on netflix). It's the best TV show in a long time. Only 3 episodes each season so easy to catch up on. It's an anthology series--basically the easiest way to pitch it is Twilight Zone for the tech era.

Obviously I haven't seen them all (no one has) but this is my short list of the movies I liked best that came out in 2014. The prime examples of things that are going to get omitted because I haven't seen them are Inherent Vice (I don't live in New York or LA so I haven't had a shot) and Boyhood (just missed the boat, it happens). I'm interested in what other people have to say as well, mostly so I can argue with you and tell you that you're wrong. ;)

#1. The One I Love
oneiloveffff.jpg

Incredibly minimalist with essentially only three actors, a semi-improvised script, and an intriguing premise. The movie is wonderful. There's even a stealth dig on Kobe and Vanessa Bryant if you're looking closely.

OK - Marco Polo.. if you haven't seen it I think it's worthwhile seeing. Lots of production value, costed them $90m to make 10 episodes.

The final episode was badass with one of the best fight scene ever seen on made for TV series. They really could have stretched this out to 14-15 episodes series if they wanted to but they've kept it short and sweet. A bit too much nudity for my liking so if your kids are 17 or under I would probably not recommend watching it with them.

marco_polo.jpg

Marco Polo = The dump you take after visiting an Indian buffet.

Black Mirror is indeed pretty great. I've watched four of the six episodes and liked them all.

An oldie but a goodie is The West Wing. At this point it's pretty solidly my favorite TV show ever. It's what I watch when I don't know what else to watch. And since I'm one of those people who almost always has something on in the background, I've probably gone through all seven seasons about four times now. I can't recommend a show more highly.

Black Mirror is indeed pretty great. I've watched four of the six episodes and liked them all.

An oldie but a goodie is The West Wing. At this point it's pretty solidly my favorite TV show ever. It's what I watch when I don't know what else to watch. And since I'm one of those people who almost always has something on in the background, I've probably gone through all seven seasons about four times now. I can't recommend a show more highly.

I have good news for you, there is a 7th episode (Christmas special), and it's also really good.

Yah, I'm surprised all 13 seasons of Frasier's also on Netflix... one of my favourite sitcoms.

Also the Honorable Woman, an eight episode miniseries. If you like sophisticated spy dramas (think John Le Carre) then you'll love this. One of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3Yzfu5kYI

I actually prefer Orange over Cards. Both good, though. Just personal preference.

I binge watch cards, but I don't think I'd keep up with it if all the episodes weren't released at once. After both seasons I remember feeling like: this looks like a good show, it talks like a good show, but it's just... not very good.

Love Orange is the New Black though. Heard mixed things about Marco Polo. I'll check it out if for no other reason than the interesting setting and expensive production.

I binge watch cards, but I don't think I'd keep up with it if all the episodes weren't released at once. After both seasons I remember feeling like: this looks like a good show, it talks like a good show, but it's just... not very good.

Love Orange is the New Black though. Heard mixed things about Marco Polo. I'll check it out if for no other reason than the interesting setting and expensive production.
I have pretty much the same feeling about Cards. It's missing something that's hard to define. It feels very distant and antiseptic. But not bad for all that.

Also the Honorable Woman, an eight episode miniseries. If you like sophisticated spy dramas (think John Le Carre) then you'll love this. One of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3Yzfu5kYI

**** you're throwing out some great recs. Gonna check this out.

Rep this man.

**** you're throwing out some great recs. Gonna check this out.

Rep this man.

BBC has been killing it for me lately (I know Black Mirror is like "Channel 4" or something--but let's just lump all of British tv into BBC). Their limited series approach to TV is very refreshing compared to American TV. The Honorable Woman especially is super novelistic--tv with a beginning, middle, end and no filler--brilliant! Eight episodes is what it needs to tell its story, and so it's eight episodes long (I think--around that). Just great stuff. But maybe it's just because only the best British shows pick up hype here--maybe the Brits, if they only watch Mad Men and Breaking Bad, think American TV is all great.