What's new

Big Al, da Banger or Candyass Booza, da Looza?

I would much rather have Jefferson than Boozer. A power forward is supposed to have some sort of inside presence, and Boozer only had that with rebounds. Jefferson has a inside presence with rebounding, but more importantly, he has a power game to get to the basket. I could never understand why we had a PF that took only jump shots. Boozer on many nights was the strongest player on the court, but he played like a rookie Andrei Kirilenko.

Jefferson was putting up 20 and 10 at age 22 without a point guard, it took Boozer until age 25 with the help of an elite PG. I think Jefferson can surpass Boozer here.

Jefferson of course - but as posted elsewhere it is largely becuase we've "been there done that" with Boozer. We know him. We've seen him. It is very easy to prefer Jefferson at this point.

They play differently. Let's see it show up positively for Jazz.

Also, I posted once in the Hayward frenzie that Hayward appears to fit in socially here. And it was questioned abit as a racist remark. I think after hearing Jefferson's press conf, he appears to fit in socially here as well. Just like Sap. Just like Raja. Fitting in is vital. And in this case it is not remotely racial, it is "Jazz culture" where the fit needs to be. This is true of all organizations. Some cultures are stronger (more evident) than others. Boozer was odd-man out. He did not fit in. He was not "lunch pail" "do whatever the team needs me to do" "just work hard..." etc etc. That is why so many of his comments are so hard for us to take.

The start of last year was a bit rocky becuase of Boozer's summer tour (and whatever else happened off the court and sitting etc.)

This year with AJ saying he's excited for training camp for the first time in his life, i think the Jazz will open the season quite well in spite of having new guys (only 1 really.)

Love teh AJ signing. Love the Raja signing (fingers crossed the formalities are worked out.) This is good. I'm drinking lots o kool-aid.

Jefferson was putting up 20 and 10 at age 22 without a point guard, it took Boozer until age 25 with the help of an elite PG. I think Jefferson can surpass Boozer here.

Highly agree. No doubting Boozer is great on offense but he's more of a finesse player compared to Jefferson. I can't wait to watch AJ put the Power back into the Forward position.

This might sound dumb, but my biggest issue with Booz is that I just didn't believe in the guy.

I think he's a mercenary. A very talented player, but a mercenary. He's all about getting his. At Duke, Coach K had to sit him down twice in the 2001 season (when they won the championship) to get him to focus on what the team was working on rather than improving his draft stock for his professional career. Then, we all know what happened in Cleveland. In Utah, he certainly had his boneheaded moments...saying dumb things in the media, flirting with other potential suitors for him via trade or free agency, etc.

I guess what all these things mean to me is that Boozer has never really demonstrated any genuine sort of attachment to the places that he's played in. By all accounts he's a good teammate, a very engaging guy with the media and organization, etc...but with his antics and demeanor, he really seems to wear out his welcome everywhere he goes. The SLTrib said it best, he's a very "polarizing" figure (or was it the D-News?)

There are lot of guys around the league whose commitment and dedication you simply don't question, and some you do. Kobe? I don't question that he's a little *****, and probably not a great teammate, but he's a killer on the court, the likes of which I've never seen before. I 100% believe in that guy. Durant? 100% believe in him, I think he's the best thing to happen in the NBA in longer than I can remember. Uber-talented, and an incredibly great kid. Nash? Check. DWill? Check. A little surly, whatever, but a stone-cold competitor.

I think the thing that irked me most about Booz was I got the impression that losing really didn't faze him all that much. I don't doubt that he wants to win a championship, and would work hard for it...who wouldn't? But to hear his comments about free agency and what not that he's made SO SOON after the Jazz losing in the playoffs, I really go the sense that losing didn't eat away at him, like it would most true competitors.

So just on that alone, I'm glad Boozer isn't a Jazzman anymore. I never really liked him. As far as a talent/fit standpoint, I think Jefferson when healthy is AT LEAST an equal talent, if not superior. Plus, his true power presence/ability to play the 5 is a much better complement to what our other big men bring. Given the choice straight up between Al and Boozer, I'll take Al any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

This might sound dumb, but my biggest issue with Booz is that I just didn't believe in the guy.

I think he's a mercenary. A very talented player, but a mercenary. He's all about getting his. At Duke, Coach K had to sit him down twice in the 2001 season (when they won the championship) to get him to focus on what the team was working on rather than improving his draft stock for his professional career. Then, we all know what happened in Cleveland. In Utah, he certainly had his boneheaded moments...saying dumb things in the media, flirting with other potential suitors for him via trade or free agency, etc.

I guess what all these things mean to me is that Boozer has never really demonstrated any genuine sort of attachment to the places that he's played in. By all accounts he's a good teammate, a very engaging guy with the media and organization, etc...but with his antics and demeanor, he really seems to wear out his welcome everywhere he goes. The SLTrib said it best, he's a very "polarizing" figure (or was it the D-News?)

There are lot of guys around the league whose commitment and dedication you simply don't question, and some you do. Kobe? I don't question that he's a little *****, and probably not a great teammate, but he's a killer on the court, the likes of which I've never seen before. I 100% believe in that guy. Durant? 100% believe in him, I think he's the best thing to happen in the NBA in longer than I can remember. Uber-talented, and an incredibly great kid. Nash? Check. DWill? Check. A little surly, whatever, but a stone-cold competitor.

I think the thing that irked me most about Booz was I got the impression that losing really didn't faze him all that much. I don't doubt that he wants to win a championship, and would work hard for it...who wouldn't? But to hear his comments about free agency and what not that he's made SO SOON after the Jazz losing in the playoffs, I really go the sense that losing didn't eat away at him, like it would most true competitors.

So just on that alone, I'm glad Boozer isn't a Jazzman anymore. I never really liked him. As far as a talent/fit standpoint, I think Jefferson when healthy is AT LEAST an equal talent, if not superior. Plus, his true power presence/ability to play the 5 is a much better complement to what our other big men bring. Given the choice straight up between Al and Boozer, I'll take Al any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Very good summary. I've had people ask me why i don't care much for boozer. Well bigmike just explained it perfectly.

Great post, that sums up the way I feel about Boozer as well. I also think Jefferson's game fits in with the Jazz better. We need that tough inside presence and team first attitude that he provides. There's no doubt he will keep the Jazz at least as talented as they were with Boozer, and his game should provide help for the rest of the team in a way that makes them better as a unit. That's really what it's all about.

think how many easy baskets booz had. i dont know if we can be the 21ppg player he was here. i still think he will average in 17-19ppg range in chicago tho. i like jefferson as a player better because he is younger,cheaper,tougher, more versatile, and taller. i do however, like boozer slightly better in short term because he knows how to get those easy baskets in our system. give jefferson TC, preseason, and first 10 games of the season, he will be averaging 21 and 11 booz averaged in no time

Well said bigmike. I think of Al Jefferson as the anti-Boozer in almost every way.

I honestly think Boozer's numbers are going to take a hit in Chicago. Rose is a stud to be sure, but he seems like more of a scoring guard than a distributor. Boozer flourished in a system that made him the number 1 option on the offense every night. I don't see that happening with the Bulls. He'll still get his rebounds, but i expect his PPG to drop to the 15-16 range.

Great post bigmike. We all felt the same things.

Boozer was fool's gold -- he looks like a bruiser inside with his muscles and tats, but he's a tease. So many times I'd find myself furrowing my brow and looking cockeyed at the screen when he'd yet again force a fallaway jumper. Actually, it didn't take long to see how soft this Broozer was. I've been a hater for so long and I am so glad he's gone.

And talk about refreshing hearing Big Al today! This is my team so I really want to like the players - Boozer and Fisher made that very difficult. Jefferson's offensive game isn't considered as "polished" as Boozer's because he only goes inside. HE'S A POWER FORWARD!! Not a fallaway forward.

Not only do we get a guy who speaks without filters and is genuine and concerned about pleasing others, but he also will finally put the POWER in power forward and get NASTY!!

I hate Boozer so the Bulls actually take a hit.

I love Noah. Love Brewer. Korver meh. ... but my hate for Boozer overwhelms my love. Poor me.