What's new

Bill Simmons/chad ford podcast

I can understand that the elation of jazz nation is at an all time high, so I figured I would post this podcast to allow this elation to reach psychological obsession. Listen in at 33 minutes to hear a supposed experts description of Dante Exum. It may blow your minds or enhance nocturnal emission. Either way enjoy. My deepest condolences if this has already been posted.

If this link doesn't work Google Chad Ford Bill Simmons podcast 2014 draft

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/b-s-report-chad-ford-on-the-2014-nba-draft/

Interesting because I thought Bill Simmons was down on Exum during the draft. He sounds pretty positive here, at least bouncing off Ford.

One specific complaint he had was that Exum "went into hiding" basketball-wise for the last year. Hello, Bill, it's called Australia...it's in the southern hemisphere and the school year is different. He wasn't "in hiding," he was "attending the prom" and "graduating high school" in December 2013.

Interesting because I thought Bill Simmons was down on Exum during the draft. He sounds pretty positive here, at least bouncing off Ford.

One specific complaint he had was that Exum "went into hiding" basketball-wise for the last year. Hello, Bill, it's called Australia...it's in the southern hemisphere and the school year is different. He wasn't "in hiding," he was "attending the prom" and "graduating high school" in December 2013.

Yeah he had a little glimmer of hope that Exum would fall to the Celtics, then the Jazz snatched it away.

Agree here, during the draft he seemed to be bagging Exum, in this podcast it seems like he was in Fords pocket

I'm sure he was pretty mad that the magic took AG or something. It's kind of true that he was in hiding. We got to pick apart all the other top players games while over looking him. I guess his weaknesses are that we haven't seen him/ lack of compitition.

I'm sure he was pretty mad that the magic took AG or something. It's kind of true that he was in hiding. We got to pick apart all the other top players games while over looking him. I guess his weaknesses are that we haven't seen him/ lack of compitition.

Yea but it isn't going to be too hard to predict his weaknesses right now. Inconsistent jumper, gets lost on defense, dies on screens, gets overpowered, etc. Normal undeveloped guard stuff.

I had heard the Koby Bryant comparison tossed around out there and found it quite amusing. It was surprising to hear it confirmed in this podcast.

What is the fascination with Giannis? I didn't see bucks games so I'm going off of his 6 pts 4 reb and 10 PER.

That's why it's stupid to use Stats/PER to tell the whole story. Giannis is insanely physically gifted, and has some really nice ability for such a young/raw player. He has a chance to be a game-changer on both ends of the court for sure.

I had heard the Koby Bryant comparison tossed around out there and found it quite amusing. It was surprising to hear it confirmed in this podcast.

Guys like Kobe and MJ have a mental toughness, competitiveness and confidence that just puts them at a higher level than everyone else. Teams think Exum has that edge.

Yeah, now we wish we took Giannis. Actually, I didn't like giving up two picks to move up. I wanted Shroeder and Giannis. And I'm not alone. But Trey is clutch.

It's kind of true that he was in hiding.
I don't see it that way. To me "in hiding" implies that he was intentionally sitting out competitive basketball so that he didn't damage his draft stock. I don't think he was doing that. He graduated in December because that's when the school year ends down under. He didn't have much option to play basketball between December and the draft.

It's fair to see we haven't seen him against real competition for a year because it's true. I just wouldn't term that being "in hiding."

he spent the last 5 or so months in the US with a trainer working on his game every day, as per locke's most recent interview.

What is the fascination with Giannis? I didn't see bucks games so I'm going off of his 6 pts 4 reb and 10 PER.

Quite possibly the most overrated player in the NBA right now. I think I could put up 6 and 4 in the Eastern Conference. He gets a highlight on SportsCenter every once in a while, but he plays for the Bucks. Nobody watches the Bucks. He probably had less visibility last year than Exum.

Yeah, now we wish we took Giannis. Actually, I didn't like giving up two picks to move up. I wanted Shroeder and Giannis. And I'm not alone. But Trey is clutch.

Well, we gave up 2 picks, but we ended up getting our second pick back, which we would have likely used for Gobert anyway. Jazz turned #14 and #21 into Burke and Gobert. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Quite possibly the most overrated player in the NBA right now. I think I could put up 6 and 4 in the Eastern Conference. He gets a highlight on SportsCenter every once in a while, but he plays for the Bucks. Nobody watches the Bucks. He probably had less visibility last year than Exum.

I dunno, he's a very raw player, but you can really see how talented he is. I would have been real happy if we had drafted him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BOkyq_H3E

Reactions: 8