What's new

Bill Simmons take on the Deron Williams trade

BabyPeterzz

Contributor
Sorry if it's been posted already. I can't believe it, I like his take.

https://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110225/part2&sportCat=nba

THE DERON WILLIAMS TRADE: A-minus

After seven excruciating months of Carmelo Anthony stories, I thought it was funny that the Williams trade went down in about three seconds. And why not? It was the most logical NBA deal in years. Jersey had to make the deal for the same 15-for-15 reasons spelled out in the Carmelo section in Part 1 -- if you can land a superstar, you do it and worry later about things like "Wait, will he be happy on a 17-40 team?" and "Wait, what if he doesn't want to sign an extension with us?" You just say yes and call the deal into the league before the other team changes its mind.

Really, you're giving us a top-three point guard for a lottery pick that hasn't done anything, a point guard who peaked two years ago and a couple of other picks? Done! Can we call it in right now? Let's call it in. No, we'll call it in! We got this! We're dialing right now. …

Meanwhile, Utah revived a trade strategy that hasn't been seen in years: the old "if we're gonna do this, let's do it right away for the best possible haul instead of dangling him around, then inadvertently killing his trade value once word gets out" tactic. Well played. The Jazz were facing a much more sordid version of the Carmelo saga (if it were a movie, you'd call it "Carmelo II: Sulkier and Angrier") in the next 16 months with Williams, who couldn't stop battling with local hero Jerry Sloan, then ended up splattered in Sloan's blood when Sloan resigned. (For some reason, it reminded me of Vincent and Jules in "Pulp Fiction" after Marvin gets shot. Only this time, The Wolf was Mikhail Prokhorov.) The thing you have to remember: Unlike the laid-back Denver fans, if Utah fans felt as though Williams had one foot out the door -- on the heels of the Sloan coup d'état -- they would have turned on him and made him miserable. Jazz fans are like Sicilians: You don't mess with them. So Utah rebuilt its team on the fly and avoided a potential clusteryouknowwhat. Even better …

Plus this.... haha.

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS/PEARL JAM JOKES: A-plus

Hey, Utah, did I officially win our ongoing Chris Paul versus Deron Williams argument? We didn't see Paul get traded this week, did we? Are you conceding yet? Where's my congratulatory phone call? Am I allowed to attend a Jazz home game now? Either way, what a season for me! I officially won my Durant over Oden and Paul over Williams arguments. I'll throw in Carmelo over Darko from 2003. If Emeka Okafor can suddenly/inexplicably/belatedly start playing better than Dwight Howard, the Mount Rushmore of Simmons Was Always Right will be complete! Come on, Emeka! YOU CAN DO THIS! THERE'S STILL TIME!

I like the comparison as Pearl Jam is one of the most overrated juggernauts of all time and STP is underrated by comparison while being better.

His entire take was good. Especially this part:

The thing you have to remember: Unlike the laid-back Denver fans, if Utah fans felt as though Williams had one foot out the door -- on the heels of the Sloan coup d'état -- they would have turned on him and made him miserable. Jazz fans are like Sicilians: You don't mess with them. So Utah rebuilt its team on the fly and avoided a potential clusteryouknowwhat. Even better …

Hollinger gave a B- for us, and incomplete for the Nets (either A if he re-signs, or F if he doesn't).

But seriously, who cares about what he thinks?

If Williams was the Stone Temple Pilots, does that make Devin Harris Candlebox or Creed?

Cute, but I'm not entirely sure how Deron being on a different team suddenly makes Paul the "winner" of that argument.

It does as far as most Jazz fans are concerned.

I'll still be a D-Will fan, and wish him well. Still a little bitter about this whole mess... but, GO JAZZ! as it were

My opinion of Deron as a basketball player doesn't change just because he's wearing a new uniform.

Cute, but I'm not entirely sure how Deron being on a different team suddenly makes Paul the "winner" of that argument.

Yeah, I was just thinking that. The argument was about who is the better player, not who would switch teams first. I would still rather have DWill I think.

If CP3 goes to NY with Melo and Amare as expected, and the soon-to-be NY Nets get Deron to stick around and they somehow lure Dwight Howard to Brooklyn, damn, that would be a terrific NY-based rivalry. I'd like to see it happen.

If CP3 goes to NY with Melo and Amare as expected, and the soon-to-be NY Nets get Deron to stick around and they somehow lure Dwight Howard to Brooklyn, damn, that would be a terrific NY-based rivalry. I'd like to see it happen.

This will be a good luck with the new CBA unless Paul takes a big pay cut.

What do you think Chris Paul is saying to himself right now? "Dog-gone-it, why couldn't that be me?" or not.