What's new

Black or Wallace?

Which point guard would rather have with the 9th pick?

• Total voters

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
If the Jazz take a point guard at 9, would you rather they take Anthony Black or Cason Wallace? I like both but I'm leaning towards Wallace at the moment.

The risk that Black might never be comfortable shooting just feels unnecessary to me. That, and Black’s highlights simply do not wow me and I feel like highlights should have wow factor, especially for a top-10 prospect. For this supposed floor general, his passes don’t have great zip on them, and he glides more than he bursts. I don’t know. I wanted to like him more but I’m just always underwhelmed.

And before someone says it, I find Wallace’s defensive highlights some of the most exhilarating that I’ve seen in years. I think he has a sneaky high ceiling on offense. He doesn’t have Chauncey Billups’ game, but I’m making a comp in the sense that Billups was a PG that let others make plays and let the ball come back to him. He was always wildly under-appreciated because his game wasn’t showy but he was always slowly polishing it.

Last edited:
If Black doesn't develop as a shooter and scorer, then teams won't bother to guard him and it's Ricky Rubio all over again. I don't want a lead ball handler who can barely shoot. I want a bonafide shooting threat and three-level scorer that's going to pull defenders out to 30 feet and collapse defenses when he drives. TBH, that's not Cason Wallace either...

Also, notice how the Thunder put the ball in SGA's hands and use Josh Giddey as a secondary creator due to Giddey's limitations as a shooter. I think that's how teams are going to use Black. When Giddey shoots 3s, it's normally off the catch when he's spotting up with his feet set.

As far as the guard debate is concerned, I've moved on to Kobe Bufkin, Keyonte George or Bilal Coulibaly. I'm even mildly intrigued by that Podzmemiskowitz or whatever.

Last edited:
For the record, I think the opportunity at #9 is that one of Jarace Walker, GG Jackson or Taylor Hendricks is available. And if that doesn't work, take Gradey Dick. I think the Jazz should take a guard at #16 or try to package picks to move up to the late lottery for one of several guards who should still be available. I think the Jazz might be serious about Jalen Hood-Schifino, and I think they're at least curious about Bilal Coulibaly.

The risk that Black might never be comfortable shooting just feels unnecessary to me. That, and Black’s highlights simply do not wow me and I feel like highlights should have wow factor, especially for a top-10 prospect. For this supposed floor general, his passes don’t have great zip on them, and he glides more than he bursts. I don’t know. I wanted to like him more but I’m just always underwhelmed.

And before someone says it, I find Wallace’s defensive highlights some of the most exhilarating that I’ve seen in years. I think he has a sneaky high ceiling on offense. He doesn’t have Chauncey Billups’ game, but I’m making a comp in the sense that Billups was a PG that let others make plays and let the ball come back to him. He was always wildly under-appreciated because his game wasn’t showy but he was always slowly polishing it.
Booker’s highlights never impressed me.

For the record, I think the opportunity at #9 is that one of Jarace Walker, GG Jackson or Taylor Hendricks is available. And if that doesn't work, take Gradey Dick. I think the Jazz should take a guard at #16 or try to package picks to move up to the late lottery for one of several guards who should still be available. I think the Jazz might be serious about Jalen Hood-Schifino, and I think they're at least curious about Bilal Coulibaly.

I definitely think GG will be there at 9, I doubt the Jazz take him though. I'm hoping Ausar or Hendricks fall to us, but it seems unlikely.

I definitely think GG will be there at 9, I doubt the Jazz take him though. I'm hoping Ausar or Hendricks fall to us, but it seems unlikely.

I think Hendricks goes to Orlando or Indiana. Too many options for him. Ausar probably goes to Washington, but who knows...

I think the real question should be Black or Dick..... and I hope we take Dick.

I just do not want a taller Rubio (although, I did like Rubio).

I'm hoping for the same thing, but hypothetically if it were between these two, which one would you prefer?

Well, if you put it like that, I'd probably go with Anthony Black, only because he's taller, seem more athletic and plays just as good on the ball defense as Wallace.

If Black doesn't develop as a shooter and scorer, then teams won't bother to guard him and it's Ricky Rubio all over again. I don't want a lead ball handler who can barely shoot. I want a bonafide shooting threat and three-level scorer that's going to pull defenders out to 30 feet and collapse defenses when he drives. TBH, that's not Cason Wallace either...

Also, notice how the Thunder put the ball in SGA's hands and use Josh Giddey as a secondary creator due to Giddey's limitations as a shooter. I think that's how teams are going to use Black. When Giddey shoots 3s, it's normally off the catch when he's spotting up with his feet set.

As far as the guard debate is concerned, I've moved on to Kobe Bufkin, Keyonte George or Bilal Coulibaly. I'm even mildly intrigued by that Podzmemiskowitz or whatever.
Lmao due to Giddeys limitations? You can't be serious.

The ball is in SGAs hands is because SGA is the best player

I think the real question should be Black or Dick..... and I hope we take Dick.

I just do not want a taller Rubio (although, I did like Rubio).
Maybe we can trade up the #16 and take Black Dick. Hearsky's Mom would love that, but then the rest of us may not see her anymore.

I mean, I think the comp to Mike Conley is pretty obvious. They have nearly the exact same proportions, but Cason is 2" taller. They also have similar demeanors, very quiet and lead by example. Both very passive scorers. Neither came into the NBA as shooters, but can obviously shoot it a bit. Both known as defensive prospects.