What's new

Blake Griffin

If you care about maximizing Gobert's prime, then that deal would be a no-brainer IMO. I just don't think Clippers would do it.

It's hardly a ransom giving up Hood, Exum, and two picks....

And a guy landed on his knee in a way that is always going to hurt anyone's MCL. He isnt that damaged.

That is his latest injury... I seem to remember he had like 6-7 others to the same leg. One last year that ended his season and was a non contact play if I remember.

I mean do you expect him to be more durable over the next five years... I sure as hell don’t. He’s a salvaged title all star... buyer beware.

It's hardly a ransom giving up Hood, Exum, and two picks....

And a guy landed on his knee in a way that is always going to hurt anyone's MCL. He isnt that damaged.

That is his latest injury... I seem to remember he had like 6-7 others to the same leg. One last year that ended his season and was a non contact play if I remember.

I mean do you expect him to be more durable over the next five years... I sure as hell don’t. He’s a salvaged title all star... buyer beware.

I feel like there are huge chunk of people here that have no clue why investing and taking risks are important, and that its not always about today. Tanking is the equivalent of investing, and making risky trades is the equivalent to acting on a risky business idea.. Sacrificing the fun today equals a better tomorrow. Taking risks sometimes pays out big rewards. Sometimes it dont. One thing is for sure though, you wont get better playing scared and not taking risks.

Scared money dont make money.

Jazz nation is the most scared base of fans in the league. They hang their hats on being the 8th seed in the playoffs and getting bounced. Its embarrassing.

I feel like there are huge chunk of people here that have no clue why investing and taking risks are important, and that its not always about today. Tanking is the equivalent of investing, and making risky trades is the equivalent to acting on a risky business idea.. Sacrificing the fun today equals a better tomorrow. Taking risks sometimes pays out big rewards. Sometimes it dont. One thing is for sure though, you wont get better playing scared and not taking risks.

Scared money dont make money.

Jazz nation is the most scared base of fans in the league. They hang their hats on being the 8th seed in the playoffs and getting bounced. Its embarrassing.

I agree with some risk for sure but there is a difference between being scared and responsible. Pushing a ton of chips in on a guy with that much risk is a suckers bet. If it was expirings... then sure. Dude makes too much and misses too many games to give up multiple assets for... the risk reward isn’t there in the proposed deal imo.

Jerebko makes every three so we should just use him instead of Blake anyway.

This is definitely not the discussion I was expecting when I saw this thread. I agree with Cy, Blake would be an amazing get and I'd trade anybody outside of Mitch and Gobert for him.

I agree with some risk for sure but there is a difference between being scared and responsible. Pushing a ton of chips in on a guy with that much risk is a suckers bet. If it was expirings... then sure. Dude makes too much and misses too many games to give up multiple assets for... the risk reward isn’t there in the proposed deal imo.

The thing is that damn near every single opportunity comes by the Jazz do nothing. Its one after the other. Its stupid. And its always the the same thing on Jazzfanz. A bunch of people are against it. And also the Jazz are against it. It gets old.

I dont see how people dont get it. We are in pretty much the same position year after year and talking about the same things. Its like ground hogs day around here. I bet its a big reason why Hayward left too. He could see it. Any reasonable person can.

The thing is that damn near every single opportunity comes by the Jazz do nothing. Its one after the other. Its stupid. And its always the the same thing on Jazzfanz. A bunch of people are against it. And also the Jazz are against it. It gets old.

I dont see how people dont get it. We are in pretty much the same position year after year and talking about the same things. Its like ground hogs day around here. I bet its a big reason why Hayward left too. He could see it. Any reasonable person can.

I agree we’ve missed opportunities and we are so slow to make personnel moves sometimes. I just don’t see this as the person to push all in on.

It’s funny that the offense is humming right now and it’s because we are playing average stretch fours with our pick and roll center. Fairly obvious that is what we have needed to do for a while and we could have had Jerebko or a guy like him years ago. The stretch four is not new but we finally have the personnel to implement it.

We need to get more firsts and try and get lucky in the draft imo. A super risky trade for anperpetually injured player that would hamstring our cap situation is not the way to do it 5/173M is what we are talking about. If they wanted to move him in a straight salary dump I’d say the risk is appropriate. But a couple firsts and Hood (who we could get a first for in another deal) plus taking on that salary is rough. Also consider we could take on salary for next year and acquire other firsts.

If Blake is healthy and doesn’t have a steep decline then he’s obviously an all star and borderline mvp candidate when he is rolling. I think the chance that he does that is much less than the chance that we can turn one of these picks or other assets into a reliable building block.

We need to get more firsts and try and get lucky in the draft imo. A super risky trade for anperpetually injured player that would hamstring our cap situation is not the way to do it 5/173M is what we are talking about. If they wanted to move him in a straight salary dump I’d say the risk is appropriate. But a couple firsts and Hood (who we could get a first for in another deal) plus taking on that salary is rough. Also consider we could take on salary for next year and acquire other firsts.

You do this to "get lucky" and obtain a superstar level player. Plan A should be to obtain a player like Griffin. Plan B should be to get lucky in the draft.

If Blake is healthy and doesn’t have a steep decline then he’s obviously an all star and borderline mvp candidate when he is rolling. I think the chance that he does that is much less than the chance that we can turn one of these picks or other assets into a reliable building block.

I don't know how you come to this conclusion. The draft is a strategic gamble, such as acquiring a player like Griffin would be.

You do this to "get lucky" and obtain a superstar level player. Plan A should be to obtain a player like Griffin. Plan B should be to get lucky in the draft.

I don't know how you come to this conclusion. The draft is a strategic gamble, such as acquiring a player like Griffin would be.

If we gave up multiple firsts and Hood... that is essentially 3 firsts. If we give up that cap space that is something that could net us another pick.

So let’s say 4 firsts essentially... that’s four chances to get a good player on a cost controlled deal. Wrapping all those chances in one dude who has a terrible health track record (and is dating someone related to the Kardashian’s... there’s a curse there) is just too risky. That’s a desperation Hail Mary.

Again if it was just cap relief and one minor asset then I’d consider it. That contract has a real chance of being a millstone around our neck. You can’t Ignore the fact that Blake is never healthy and has a strong chance of slowing down and is basically guaranteed not to live up to year 4 and 5 of that deal.

If we gave up multiple firsts and Hood... that is essentially 3 firsts. If we give up that cap space that is something that could net us another pick.

So let’s say 4 firsts essentially... that’s four chances to get a good player on a cost controlled deal. Wrapping all those chances in one dude who has a terrible health track record (and is dating someone related to the Kardashian’s... there’s a curse there) is just too risky. That’s a desperation Hail Mary.

Again if it was just cap relief and one minor asset then I’d consider it. That contract has a real chance of being a millstone around our neck. You can’t Ignore the fact that Blake is never healthy and has a strong chance of slowing down and is basically guaranteed not to live up to year 4 and 5 of that deal.

I mean I'll bite on the stretching it to "basically four firsts" because that's still four chances (what late-lottery? 20s picks?) to get a player that is even nearly anywhere close to Blake Griffin's level. That's a bigger gamble. Never healthy is a cop out. Blake has transformed his game to improve his durability and longevity. I'm all about reducing risk and savvy cap planning, but what I'm getting at is that the GOAL is to get a player like Griffin.

I mean I'll bite on the stretching it to "basically four firsts" because that's still four chances (what late-lottery? 20s picks?) to get a player that is even nearly anywhere close to Blake Griffin's level. That's a bigger gamble. Never healthy is a cop out. Blake has transformed his game to improve his durability and longevity. I'm all about reducing risk and savvy cap planning, but what I'm getting at is that the GOAL is to get a player like Griffin.

He changed his game, but yet he is still in a suit... he ended last season in a suit on another "fluke" play. He is not likely to get more durable as he ages past 30. Dude can't even help not getting injuries when he is already out with other injuries.

3 of his 9 years he has played 80+ games. He has averaged 54 games the last 3 years... will be in the 50s again this year if he is lucky.

So yeah... he's "never" healthy is an exaggeration, but he will miss 35%ish of his NBA games. Is that worth 35M a year... for the next 4 years. He turns 29 in march and I don't see him aging all that gracefully.

I would say the GOAL is to get a player as talented as BG that could actually play and be relied on... I'm happy to gamble that BG could stay and get healthy, but I'm not willing to give up multiple 1sts to do so... I'm not betting the farm even if the firsts gives us a lower ceiling.

I don't like Griffin but he would be a great for here. He would fit perfect at the 4 here. He would be a great fit next to Gobert. He is already used to playing next to a guy similar to Gobert.

I would do this trade if it didn't include Gobert, Mitchell, Exum, Hood or Ingles. Send them Favor's, Burks and this year's pick top 10 protected. If they want a lot more then say good luck. I guess I would consider sending Exum instead of the pick if the Jazz think Mitchell is more of a PG. Or maybe even Hood instead of the pick but definitely not both and they have to take Burks.

He changed his game, but yet he is still in a suit... he ended last season in a suit on another "fluke" play. He is not likely to get more durable as he ages past 30. Dude can't even help not getting injuries when he is already out with other injuries.

3 of his 9 years he has played 80+ games. He has averaged 54 games the last 3 years... will be in the 50s again this year if he is lucky.

So yeah... he's "never" healthy is an exaggeration, but he will miss 35%ish of his NBA games. Is that worth 35M a year... for the next 4 years. He turns 29 in march and I don't see him aging all that gracefully.

I would say the GOAL is to get a player as talented as BG that could actually play and be relied on... I'm happy to gamble that BG could stay and get healthy, but I'm not willing to give up multiple 1sts to do so... I'm not betting the farm even if the firsts gives us a lower ceiling.

You don't get an player like BG unless there's a reason for his team to trade. Of course there's risk, this wouldn't be a discussion if there wasn't risk. I don't see any reason to think he won't age well with how he had transformed his game so successfully. You're implying there's less risk with taking shots in the mid-late 1st round to get a superstar. I don't think that's the case at all. While you go and use cap space to sign bench players or take back terrible player's deals to collect 1st rounders during Gobert's prime, I'll take pairing two All-NBA caliber front court players together and building around that. Sure he could get rolled up on again (as could anybody...) and your cap space is sunk but the risk v reward is much greater

Over the last 3 seasons he has averaged 54 games per season. This season looks like it will be less than that. He missed the playoffs due to an injury. He missed part of last year's playoffs as well. He is a bit injury prone.