What's new

Booo Alec Burks as point guard

This offense is built for the point to get a lot of assists, and Tinsley came in and did just that. He just needs to improve his Defense. Alec burks came in and screwed it all up. He looks worse than Harris trying to run the pick and roll.

We should be up in arms that a ROOKIE playing out of position in extremely extenuating circumstances and for the first time wasn't good. We should be god damned furious. We are JAZZ NATION after all.

We should be up in arms that a ROOKIE playing out of position in extremely extenuating circumstances and for the first time wasn't good. We should be god damned furious. We are JAZZ NATION after all.
I agree. I am OUTRAGED. Why, if I had season tickets, I'd surely mail them back to Greg. And if I had LP, I'd for sure turn it off. But since I don't I'm going to burn all the new Jazz merchandise I didn't buy when the strike took away a great deal of my interest and loyalty. Now it's off to curling and lawn bowling (depending on the outdoor conditions).

Amazing how quickly the "Burks can play PG too" bandwagon emptied out.

A 19-year old DeShawn Stevenson filled in at backup PG during the 2001-02 season after John Crotty went on IR and before Utah signed Rusty LaRue. Stevenson wasn't very good in that role, but he could get us into our sets and had some positive moments in that role - and I don't think DeShawn had much more feel or a better handle than Burks does now. The difference is structure. Our halfcourt offense this year has very little structure and rhythm. The majority of the time we run straight post-ups to Al and Millsap on either block. Sometime we run through, sometimes we just stand, but we never look for cutters (baseline or middle). We still run our UCLA sets but we never get the backdoor looks underneath. Putting aside the fact that Burks is a rookie playing out of position for the first time in an abbreviated season with a 2-week training camp and limited practice time, a young PG is not going to have a great chance to succeed in our halfcourt offense because all 5 guys are not executing it well at all.

In halfcourt situations, the offense bogs down - we saw tonight the majority of Tinsley's assists were off fastbreak opportunities and his own post-ups. The same applies with Harris and Watson. The difference is, while Harris loses his aggression and settles for perimeter jumpers when defenses clamp down, Watson brings and energy and more of a disruptive defensive attitude - and creates more transition opportunities with his defense and energy.

Since the draft, I was against the notion that Burks should play PG at all this season - but his performance against G.S. doesn't mean he can't function as a fill-in PG in the future as he gains more experience and we (hopefully) execute our offense better.

Begone with your rational thinking.

Holy hell .. okay, Tinsley had a great game .. are we done now? We've found our PG of the future? I respect if you think so. I don't. Sorry for the confusion.

PKM, He wasn't talking about a future PG but how can you say Tinsley isn't a PG. He has played the position for nine years and dished out 13 assists last night. I think you are wrong in this situation. Yes Tinsley is not the future but he is and always has been a PG.

Yea a rookie who has never played PG is asked to play the position in his rookie year on the road. And you want him to be better than Harris a player who was good enough at one time to be an All-star.

I didn't see the game last night so I don't know how awful he was but to say he can NEVER develop and be a PG really is typical JazzFanz thinking. What's next should we trade the kid? Why not boo him? I still think he can play the PG position as a backup. I don't think he would ever be a start but if the Jazz told Burks we need you to learn the PG position so next year in camp we will have you run the team. I am sure he could become a decent one. Now if this actually happens and then he continues to suck then I will apologize to all you fast food fans thinking he should just step in and be as good as Harris. It amazes me how some Jazz fans have such little patience when it comes to player development.

Either you have it or you dont.

Yeah, cuz no one ever got good at something by practicing, or improving their game.

I mean BOOOOO! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! QUIT POSTING YOU CHUMP! GET BACK TO THE BENCH! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We lost the game because it got out of hand both times Burks came in and wrecked the offense. His frantic style had everyone out of sync.

Maybe you and I watched different games but I thought the Jazz lost this game because the couldn't rebound on the defensive end. How many offensive rebounds did the GSW's have? How many second chance points?

Another contributing factor was that the Warriors knew that the Jazz were coming off a late game on a back to back and they took advantage of it.

Stop putting blame on a rookie player that doesn't see the court a lot playing out of position. Basically what I am saying is that your acting like a idiot and the more threads you build like this the less I want to listen to you because it shows me that you don't know what you are talking about.

PKM, He wasn't talking about a future PG but how can you say Tinsley isn't a PG. He has played the position for nine years and dished out 13 assists last night. I think you are wrong in this situation. Yes Tinsley is not the future but he is and always has been a PG.

Okay, then I completely misunderstood. What I meant to say is we still need our future PG. Obviously Tinsley is a PG, no debating that ..

Those that actually know BB .. we have no PG. Deal with it and look to add one. Everyone else .. carry on.

It was only one game, but i take it you were not impressed at all with Tinsley? PG isn't even our most pressing need, we need outside shooters, and not just one, about three would would put us on a par with most teams. I was anything but surprised by last night. With only Tinsley and some wishes for a guard line and Curry and Ellis going for GS and the fall out from the Clipper game we were in deep do-do before the tip off. If a shooter is struggling, the Jazz is where they go to get well. Our chances are much better against the Lakers than they were last night. All things considered i was happy we stayed with them for as long as we did.

By the by. Anyone remember that a certain senior citizen mentioned about 10 games ago that we had a gem sitting at the end of the bench who would get his chance soon. Actually i am not sure he would of gotten the chance if not for the injuries. Why would you sign a player of Tinsleys' abilities, struggle through our problems at the point and not give a veteran player a shot. I thought the Jazz brain trust was a little slow with this situation.

Looks like there is still a lot of people hoping Burks is going to be our future point guard. Ya you people are reeeeaaalll level headed. Good luck with that!

Looks like there is still a lot of people hoping Burks is going to be our future point guard. Ya you people are reeeeaaalll level headed. Good luck with that!

BluesRocker, WHAT!!! T-i-n-s-l-e-y does not spell Burks. Haven't seen anyone advocate Burks as a serious PG at this point. Most posters seem to be very "upset" with the way Burks handled himself last night.

I would suggest actual attendance at school, and perhaps some remedial reading courses to increase your comprehension.

I don't see him as our future pg, but I do see him (if he got at least some consistent burn at pg nightly) becoming a Westbrook type point. He is a natural 2 with passing ability, fast, athletic as a ****. I see him mirroring Westbrook as a point with tons of points, and tons of to's.

Somehow that's working for okc, I dunno if it will work for us.

But I'm not ready to give up on burks being able to run the point for 10 mins a game

BluesRocker, WHAT!!! T-i-n-s-l-e-y does not spell Burks. Haven't seen anyone advocate Burks as a serious PG at this point. Most posters seem to be very "upset" with the way Burks handled himself last night.

I would suggest actual attendance at school, and perhaps some remedial reading courses to increase your comprehension.

Now is that any way to speak to someone that could be your grandson? Cranky old *******.

Throughout the years, I've learned that it's always a great idea to make a judgment on the ability of a guy to get a job done after he's done that job for an entire 10 minutes in his career.

Now is that any way to speak to someone that could be your grandson? Cranky old *******.

Starting to suspect that PKM means Patrick Kinahan's Mother. How do you spell Kinahan anyway? See BluesRocker can't read, i can't spell and Patrick Kinahan's Mother has no sense of humor.

Starting to suspect that PKM means Patrick Kinahan's Mother. How do you spell Kinahan anyway? See BluesRocker can't read, i can't spell and Patrick Kinahan's Mother has no sense of humor.

That was humor, gramps. Of the sarcasm variety. Here's a belated :p