What's new

Boston Marathon explosions......

Yes, but you'll notice that to create a sculpture(design) you need a sculptor(intelligence). It is so damn obvious even Hellen Keller could see it.

New Hampshire's Man of the Mountain disagrees with you, unless you think rain is an intelligent force.

Can you produce a native speaker of Old English? Koine Greek? Sanskrit? Does that mean no one ever spoke those languages? Is that a good reason to doubt those languages existed?
We don't have living organisms from single-cell to ape, but we have records that the creatures existed, just like we have records for dead languages.

I haven't read your new responses yet but I just realized that I am either being punked or you just unwittingly provided the perfect example of Complex Specified Information with intelligent causes (language) and then demonstrated Dembski's Law of Conservation of Information for him.
You said because the CSI (language) exists there must be an intelligence source (language speaker).
You are an ID Theorist disguised as an METer!

Last edited:
I haven't read your new responses yet but I just realized that I am either being punked or you just unwittingly provided the perfect example of Complex Specified Information with intelligent causes (language) ...

Again, you are showing you don't understand what CSI is supposed to be.

in other news, have you folks heard about the message that was scrawled inside the boat where the surviving brother was hiding?

As I have already explained, Dembski has almost no literature published in mathematical magazines. So, you have given none.

I ain't claiming he is strictly a professional mathmetician. He has had varied professions, and it is simply one of his many professional pursuits
He happens to write in book form (20x), like Chuck Darwin. But let's move on.
Read Dembski more carefully. He fully acknowledges that randomness creates complexity. His claim is that it creates unspecified complexity, and the he can distinguish this from specified complexity.
How well do you think you can defend Dembski when I understand his argument better than you?

Okay. I haven't been particularly motivated to delve more into Dembski's theory until now. We had to start somewhere so I presented what my current understanding was, hoping your challenge would aid in my learning process. It has, and we are making headway.
So, randomness is not the only thing that leads to complexity.

Randomness=unspecified complexity
Design=specified complexity

I understand now that Dembski doesn't rule out natural, undirected contingencies (chance) altogether, but he shows how it is unable to account for the creation of coordinated, and complex systems that make up humans, other animals, and plant life.

Undirected contingencies don't account for much of anything...maybe tumors.

Dembski has no desire to deny that rocks can be eroded to look like a face, but then again if you claim the faces on Mount Mushmore are merely a product of erosion, it is then he will have a problem with your claim. The problem for Darwiniacs is that most, if not all, of our biological systems look like "Mount Rushmore."

This is where the Darwiniac quip, "God of the gaps," comes in. Except in this case the so called "gaps" are grand-canyonesque.

Formula (*) asserts that the information in both A and B jointly is the information in A plus the information in B that is not in A. Its point, therefore, is to spell out how much additional information B contributes to A. As such, this formula places tight constraints on the generation of new information. Does, for instance, a computer program, call it A, by outputting some data, call the data B, generate new information? Computer programs are fully deterministic, and so B is fully determined by A. It follows that P(B|A) = 1, and thus I(B|A) = 0 (the logarithm of 1 is always 0). From Formula (*) it therefore follows that I(A&B) = I(A), and therefore that the amount of information in A and B jointly is no more than the amount of information in A by itself.​

Dembski's formula accounts for A & B when the two are "probablistically independent" so your book could be divided into the 1st half and the second half. There is no more information in the second half than in the first half.

There is no final step, or even a cycle of steps, in evolutionary theory. To simplify explanations for some people, it can be described that way, but it's not part of the theory.

If that is the case then you've got yourself a crazy *** piece of dogma rather than a scientifically testable theory, which has been my point all along.
Natural selection is necessity, not accident.

Okay, I read more thoroughly and found where Dembski addresses chance (random mutation) paired with necessity (natural selection):

Because information presupposes contingency, necessity is by definition incapable of producing information, much less complex specified information. For there to be information there must be a multiplicity of live possibilities, one of which is actualized, and the rest of which are excluded. This is contingency.
Whenever chance and necessity work together, the respective contributions of chance and necessity can be arranged sequentially. But by arranging the respective contributions of chance and necessity sequentially, it becomes clear that at no point in the sequence is CSI generated. Consider the case of trial-and-error (trial corresponds to necessity and error to chance). Once considered a crude method of problem solving, trial-and-error has so risen in the estimation of scientists that it is now regarded as the ultimate source of wisdom and creativity in nature. The probabilistic algorithms of computer science (e.g., genetic algorithms-see Forrest, 1993) all depend on trial-and-error. So too, the Darwinian mechanism of mutation and natural selection is a trial-and-error combination in which mutation supplies the error and selection the trial. An error is committed after which a trial is made. But at no point is CSI generated.
Natural causes are therefore incapable of generating CSI. This broad conclusion I call the Law of Conservation of Information, or LCI for short. LCI has profound implications for science. Among its corollaries are the following: (1) The CSI in a closed system of natural causes remains constant or decreases. (2) CSI cannot be generated spontaneously, originate endogenously, or organize itself (as these terms are used in origins-of-life research). (3) The CSI in a closed system of natural causes either has been in the system eternally or was at some point added exogenously (implying that the system though now closed was not always closed). (4) In particular, any closed system of natural causes that is also of finite duration received whatever CSI it contains before it became a closed system.
This last corollary is especially pertinent to the nature of science for it shows that scientific explanation is not coextensive with reductive explanation. Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, and many scientists are convinced that proper scientific explanations must be reductive, moving from the complex to the simple. Thus Dawkins (1987, p. 316) will write, "The one thing that makes evolution such a neat theory is that it explains how organized complexity can arise out of primeval simplicity." Thus Dennett (1995, p. 153) will view any scientific explanation that moves from simple to complex as "question-begging." Thus Dawkins (1987, p. 13) will explicitly equate proper scientific explanation with what he calls "hierarchical reductionism," according to which "a complex entity at any particular level in the hierarchy of organization" must properly be explained "in terms of entities only one level down the hierarchy." While no one will deny that reductive explanation is extremely effective within science, it is hardly the only type of explanation available to science. The divide-and-conquer mode of analysis behind reductive explanation has strictly limited applicability within science. In particular, this mode of analysis is utterly incapable of making headway with CSI. CSI demands an intelligent cause. Natural causes will not do.​
There if more information in two copies of Hamlet than there is in on, when the copies are laid out linearly, therefore Dembski's claim was wrong.
As I mentioned above the book could be divided into 2 halves as they would be "probablistically independent" in that way.
New Hampshire's Man of the Mountain disagrees with you, unless you think rain is an intelligent force.
If that useless pile of rocks that collapsed 10 years ago was capable of disagreeing with me I could see it's significance.
You do bring up an interesting and symbolic slant.
Water is an essential element to all life on Earth.
Here is where I bring up Bible symbolism just for fun:
Revelation 21:6 - And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
PearlWatson: I haven't read your new responses yet but I just realized that I am either being punked or you just unwittingly provided the perfect example of Complex Specified Information with intelligent causes (language) ...
Again, you are showing you don't understand what CSI is supposed to be.
Dembski uses language as an example himself so I understand it perfectly.
Intelligent causes act by making a choice. How then do we recognize that an intelligent cause has made a choice? A bottle of ink spills accidentally onto a sheet of paper; someone takes a fountain pen and writes a message on a sheet of paper. In both instances ink is applied to paper. In both instances one among an almost infinite set of possibilities is realized. In both instances a contingency is actualized and others are ruled out. Yet in one instance we infer design, in the other chance. What is the relevant difference? Not only do we need to observe that a contingency was actualized, but we ourselves need also to be able to specify that contingency. The contingency must conform to an independently given pattern, and we must be able independently to formulate that pattern. A random ink blot is unspecifiable; a message written with ink on paper is specifiable. Wittgenstein (1980, p. 1e) made the same point as follows: "We tend to take the speech of a Chinese for inarticulate gurgling. Someone who understands Chinese will recognize language in what he hears. Similarly I often cannot discern the humanity in man."
In hearing a Chinese utterance, someone who understands Chinese not only recognizes that one from a range of all possible utterances was actualized, but is also able to specify the utterance as coherent Chinese speech. Contrast this with someone who does not understand Chinese. In hearing a Chinese utterance, someone who does not understand Chinese also recognizes that one from a range of possible utterances was actualized, but this time, because lacking the ability to understand Chinese, is unable to specify the utterance as coherent speech. To someone who does not understand Chinese, the utterance will appear gibberish. Gibberish-the utterance of nonsense syllables uninterpretable within any natural language-always actualizes one utterance from the range of possible utterances. Nevertheless, gibberish, by corresponding to nothing we can understand in any language, also cannot be specified. As a result, gibberish is never taken for intelligent communication, but always for what Wittgenstein calls "inarticulate gurgling."
The actualization of one among several competing possibilities, the exclusion of the rest, and the specification of the possibility that was actualized encapsulates how we recognize intelligent causes, or equivalently, how we detect design. Actualization-Exclusion-Specification, this triad constitutes a general criterion for detecting intelligence, be it animal, human, or extra-terrestrial. Actualization establishes that the possibility in question is the one that actually occurred. Exclusion establishes that there was genuine contingency (i.e., that there were other live possibilities, and that these were ruled out). Specification establishes that the actualized possibility conforms to a pattern given independently of its actualization.​

Last edited:
Teeth do. As our diets have changed, so has the wear patterns on our teeth changed. The appendix would have changed with changes in diet over millions of years.
Currently, we all ape-like features. Any feature of all apes, humans have.

Human teeth have different wear patterns based on human adaption. The appendix "would have" changed if development occurred over millions of years, but the changes can already be accounted for over the span of hundreds or thousands of years, so there is no need to make huge million year leaps.

If humans are "ape-like" now then the Darwiniac "ape-like ancestor" is an even more meaningless concept.

PearlWatson,

I'm taking a brief break for work-related reasons. I appreciate your willingness to dialogue, and will be back.