What's new

Bye Bye Burke

I hope Trey turns it around and builds a decent career for himself there. he was nothing but a total professional in a situation where I wouldn't have blamed him a bit for not being one. The anti Kanter.

I'm not sure he will because I don't think his skill set is that great, but I hope he does. I hope he doesn't get booed here either, but sadly I think there might be a smattering of them.

The expectation that every asset must be turned into something causes people to make arguments like this, but the NBA just doesn't work that way. If it did teams would eventually build up massive value. Instead all of them burn assets. JJ walked from Miami this year for nothing. We picked up JJ without giving up an asset. We spent second round picks that probably (hopefully) won't make our team. So did a lot of teams. This is because there are a limited number of slots. Sometimes an asset (especially a second round pick) turns out not to have value. It happens to every team.

The way I see it the Jazz have compiled a roster that I'm very excited about for next year. Nice work, management.

I completely agree that some assets just don't work out. I just see a difference between trying to make an asset work, example- drafting Joel Bolomboy who has a chance to make the team... and completely washing your hands of assets by drafting players you know won't make it because of the current roster situation, example- Marcus Paige and Tyrone Wallace. See the difference? If Bolomboy doesn't work out it's fine. I have no problems. Second round picks miss more than they hit. But at least an attempt was made to maximize your asset instead of just giving the asset up.

I completely agree that some assets just don't work out. I just see a difference between trying to make an asset work, example- drafting Joel Bolomboy who has a chance to make the team... and completely washing your hands of assets by drafting players you know won't make it because of the current roster situation, example- Marcus Paige and Tyrone Wallace. See the difference? If Bolomboy doesn't work out it's fine. I have no problems. Second round picks miss more than they hit. But at least an attempt was made to maximize your asset instead of just giving the asset up.
Maybe the Jazz did not see a roster spot availalable but they are hoping to bring them in for the d-league. Maybe they had a relationship with the coach or the agent and were doing them a favor of some sort. Maybe they needed some bodies to practice against Exum and these guys had some particular traits that they liked for that. There are all sorts of possibilities that might explain why they did what they did. I think it's much more likely that they know what they are trying to accomplish than it is that you know what's going on here. DL has a lot at stake . There's no way he's not attempting to maximize his assets. Unfortunately the maximum value of multiple seconds in a weak draft for a team in win-now mode without extra roster spots just isn't very high.