What's new

can jazz finally beat the lakers if chris paul trade goes through?

kris_hump

Banned
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_...ki_chris_paul_trade_hornets_lakers_nba_120911

I think jazz can finally beat the lakers with front line of jefferson, favors, okur, millsap and kanter.
Assume the trade will go down this weekend that will send away Gasol&Odom, lakers front line is depleted.
I think Big Al& Favor will dominate over Luke Walton and his backup, Millsap will at least cancel out Artest, Okur&Kanter combo will have slight advantage over Bynum and his backup.

Kobe&Paul backcourt doesnt scare me since Lakers offese does NOT rely on pg play making.
By having Chris paul does most of ball handling, it actually makes Kobe less effective.

Bottom line is we will NOT see Gasol does layup drills against Jazz and block half of the layups attempts by the jazz.
Odom also played well everytime against Jazz for some reason.

I am not sure how CP3 would work in the triangle. Maybe they would move away from it more and run more standard sets that put more emphasis on the PG.

you are right in case of bigs, we defenetly come closer, but please do NOT forget who Kobe and Paul are. WE have probably as difficult as always, see Magic ShaQ teams

If this is the only deal that goes through, I think we will finally have the advantage against the Lakers with our bigs. But until D12 is off the market, I'm still a little nervous about what the Lakers still may pull. I can't see them just not doing anything else to help out there front line after giving up Gasol/Odom... Just seems to good to be true to see the Lakers be weak in that spot. Bynum just seems to have to many issues with injuries to be the only good big on the Lakers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_...ki_chris_paul_trade_hornets_lakers_nba_120911

I think jazz can finally beat the lakers with front line of jefferson, favors, okur, millsap and kanter.
Assume the trade will go down this weekend that will send away Gasol&Odom, lakers front line is depleted.
I think Big Al& Favor will dominate over Luke Walton and his backup, Millsap will at least cancel out Artest, Okur&Kanter combo will have slight advantage over Bynum and his backup.

Kobe&Paul backcourt doesnt scare me since Lakers offese does NOT rely on pg play making.
By having Chris paul does most of ball handling, it actually makes Kobe less effective.

Bottom line is we will NOT see Gasol does layup drills against Jazz and block half of the layups attempts by the jazz.
Odom also played well everytime against Jazz for some reason.

No you won't have Gasol doing layup drills - but if the Paul deal goes through - I think that guarantees that Howard will be doing dunking drills instead this time NEXT year.

I mean - what's to stop Howard from opting out next year - become FA like Nene, Chandler, etc, and sign a max deal ala LeBron/Wade/Bosh did, but in LA?

I agree, trading Gasol and Odom for Chris Paul would make the Lakers worse (at least against the Jazz the Lakers would be worse).

I hope that trade goes through.

Also, didn't Phil Jackson retire? Are they still going to run the triangle?

Paul and Kobe fighting over the ball sounds great to me.

If they get Paul it pretty much means they get Howard as well. I'd be willing to give up some skittles for that bet.

If they get paul, it pretty much means they get Howard as well. I'd be willing to give up some skittles for that bet.
Who will they trade for Howard? I'm sure they won't just get him for nothing. If they end up with Paul, Kobe, and Howard, the rest of the team will probably be a bunch of worthless scrubs.
I still take the Jazz over that team.

Wait wait wait, why are you saying that the Jazz will biggest players will dominate over luke walton? So the lakers are going to trade their bigs, and then move their 3rd string sf to the pf and center spot?

And okur and kanter cancel out Bynum? um ok

Who will they trade for Howard? I'm sure they won't just get him for nothing. If they end up with Paul, Kobe, and Howard, the rest of the team will probably be a bunch of worthless scrubs.
I still take the Jazz over that team.

Bynum,Gasol, Odem that 13th player on their bench. They'd get it to work some how. They are they lakers, they get people to give them talent.

Bynum,Gasol, Odem that 13th player on their bench. They'd get it to work some how. They are they lakers, they get people to give them talent.
So then who are they trading for Paul?

Bottom line, they aren't getting either one of these guys for nothing. The rumored Paul trade that was killed by the league had them losing both Gasol and Odom and getting Paul. If they want Howard after that, all they have left to offer is Bynum, Artest, and scrubs.

So if they do get both of them, it's a safe bet they will basically be Kobe, Paul, Howard, and a bunch of scrubs.

The new CBA restricts the tax paying teams use of the full midlevel too (I think) so they will have a hard time getting good players to fill out the roster.

I'll take the deep, talented, young, athletic, and full of potential Jazz team over that.

Ironically, I think the old Deron-Boozer-AK-Memo teams would blow the doors off a CP3-Kobe-Peace-Bynum Laker team minus Odom and Gasol.
Hard to say with this year's team until we know how Favors, Hayward and Burks develop and how all our pieces fit together under Ty.

And I agree, I can't rest easy until Howard is on another team.
If they end up with Paul, Kobe, and Howard, the rest of the team will probably be a bunch of worthless scrubs.
I think this is what people said about the 2010-11 Miami Heat. And they were good enough to make it to June.

CP3-Kobe-Howard may not be as dynamic, but it's a more natural and balanced Big-3 because all 3 players don't need 20+ shots and don't rely on the same entry-point of attack to score.

The killer part of a Howard-to-LA deal is historically the NBA works in cycles, and even though the Lakers often make these types of superstar deals, there should still be a brief period where their team falls off as Kobe ages (like 92-96 after Magic) where they no longer contends for championships. They get Dwight and they won't miss a beat.

I think this is what people said about the 2010-11 Miami Heat. And they were good enough to make it to June.

CP3-Kobe-Howard may not be as dynamic, but it's a more natural and balanced Big-3 because all 3 players don't need 20 shots and don't rely on the same entry-point of attack to score.
The Heat had the full midlevel and a full offseason to work with. No way the Lakers put that much talent around their alleged big 3.

Plus Kobe and Paul both need the ball. Kobe may start at sg, but he ends up acting as the pg on most plays.

I just can't see this as a bad thing for the Jazz, even if they get Dwight.

Heat will be signing Shane Battier. That's a helluva pickup if ya ask me. Good players will take pay cuts to play with a possible Kobe,Howard,Paul combo.

The Heat had the full midlevel and a full offseason to work with. No way the Lakers put that much talent around their alleged big 3.
Plus Kobe and Paul both need the ball. Kobe may start at sg, but he ends up acting as the pg on most plays.
I just can't see this as a bad thing for the Jazz, even if they get Dwight.
The Heat spent their remaining cap room on Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem - both of whom missed most of the season to injury and relied heavily on Mike Bibby, Zydrunas Illgauskas, Juwan Howard, Eric Dampier and Jamaal Magloire as role players. If the Heat can make the Finals w/LeBron&Wade (who both attack from the perimeter) and Bosh (likes to attack from the wing/high-post and is not a true difference-maker) and 5 corpses, I think CP3 (POA: perimeter), Kobe (can operate from the perimeter, pinch-post, or low-post), and Dwight Howard (lowpost) will be more than a tough out.

I think CP3's knee could eventually be an issue, as well as Kobe's age, but if they get Dwight they get a superstar who can cover up alot of those concerns - which is why I say Dwight Howard is the make-or-break piece for LA and the rest of the West.

Heat will be signing Shane Battier. That's a helluva pickup if ya ask me. Good players will take pay cuts to play with a possible Kobe,Howard,Paul combo.
We'll see how many of these players take "paycuts" when the Heat and Lakers no longer have a full midlevel to offer.

I don't think Kobe and Paul will be that great together anyway. They'll be good, sure, but not as good as Kobe with Gasol and Odom.

And Dwight is probably only a slight upgrade at best over Bynum and Artest.

Add in the loss of depth (they already lost Shannon Brown so not everyone will take less) and they will probably be a worse team than they've been the last few years.

If you want to worry about a potential "super team" you should be looking at Dallas. If they get D-Will and Dwight, watch out.

I really doubt they will get Howard. If he is going anywhere, it is going to be New Jersey/Brooklyn. As there roster appears to be Paul, Kobe, Artest, scrub and Bynum(when healthy).

Paul would beat Harris. Kobe gets beat by Hayward. Artest is a matchup Millsap can guard. Favors kills the scrub. Jefferson and Bynum is a wash. Our bench is better. We should win the majority of these games.