What's new

Can the Fess experiment please end!

carolinajazz

Saw the entire first half last night in HD using "Western Sports T.V." on the internet. How in the world Fess can be classified or considered a Professional basketball player is beyond me! He has no offensive moves whatsoever, he's uncoordinated to the 10th degree......he can't hit a free throw to save his neck.....has no concept as to where he's suppose to be on defense....and couldn't help a little old lady cross the street to boot! One of the funniest and stupidest plays I've seen in quite some time came in the second quarter when the ball got knocked out of bounds and the Jazz had 3 seconds left on the shot clock. The in bounds play went to Fess who was standing 15 feet away from the basket. Now, I ask you a simple question: Who, in there right mind, would in bounds the ball to Fess (your worse offensive player on the roster) who is 15-17 feet away from the basket with only 3 seconds to shoot the ball??? I don't know who it was (probably Price?) but he should have been benched the rest of the game for galactic stupidity, don't ya think? Fess grabbed the ball and made one of the most feeble attempts at a basketball move....which of course, resulted in one of our 18 turnovers. In a side note, Elson got no playing time whatsoever. I guess Sloan was experimenting with Fess to see if his offensive and defensive game had improved with 24 hours of rest and sleep?

Saw the entire first half last night in HD using "Western Sports T.V." on the internet. How in the world Fess can be classified or considered a Professional basketball player is beyond me! He has no offensive moves whatsoever, he's uncoordinated to the 10th degree......he can't hit a free throw to save his neck.....has no concept as to where he's suppose to be on defense....and couldn't help a little old lady cross the street to boot! One of the funniest and stupidest plays I've seen in quite some time came in the second quarter when the ball got knocked out of bounds and the Jazz had 3 seconds left on the shot clock. The in bounds play went to Fess who was standing 15 feet away from the basket. Now, I ask you a simple question: Who, in there right mind, would in bounds the ball to Fess (your worse offensive player on the roster) who is 15-17 feet away from the basket with only 3 seconds to shoot the ball??? I don't know who it was (probably Price?) but he should have been benched the rest of the game for galactic stupidity, don't ya think? Fess grabbed the ball and made one of the most feeble attempts at a basketball move....which of course, resulted in one of our 18 turnovers. In a side note, Elson got no playing time whatsoever. I guess Sloan was experimenting with Fess to see if his offensive and defensive game had improved with 24 hours of rest and sleep?

I must honestly say this is one of the worst posts I have seen on this board. If you cannot see the value in Fes, then you cannot see. Is he great? No. But he clogs the lane and takes away most of the easy shots in the lane from the other team, much unlike our starting bigs (who are too small combined). He blocks shots, he gets a decent number of boards. Maybe you did not notice that at the beginning of the second quarter, with Fes patrolling the lane, the Blazers scored about zero points in 6 minutes.

As to his offense, it is not as bad as advertised. He has some decent moves and can make the short shots reasonably well. If or when he can shoot free throws (someone please send him a Rick Barry video), he could do some damage from the low post.

He should be getting 15 to 20 minutes per night. He will be needed in the playoffs big time against teams like the Lakers and the Mavs. Or is Milsap going to grow 6 inches in the next couple of months?

You expect a 7 footer who only makes 1M to have other skills other than being big? How long have you followed the NBA?

And even better, he has skills: good man defense, lane clogging, shot blocking, good movement for a big, occassional scoring, decent passing from high post (looks better than Big Al there). Compare with one of ole Jer's longtime favs who always got minutes: Useless (aka Jarron) Collins.

I must honestly say this is one of the worst posts I have seen on this board. If you cannot see the value in Fes, then you cannot see. Maybe you did not notice that at the beginning of the second quarter, with Fes patrolling the lane, the Blazers scored about zero points in 6 minutes.

....yeah, and we scored zero points in those 6 minutes....because of his offensive ineptitude! Look, I'm sure your correct in pointing out the good things he does clogging the lane and taking up space. But it's just such a shame and travesty that someone that big with even half a brain couldn't contribute something more on offense....and at least look like he knows who he's covering on defense!

....yeah, and we scored zero points in those 6 minutes....because of his offensive ineptitude! Look, I'm sure your correct in pointing out the good things he does clogging the lane and taking up space. But it's just such a shame and travesty that someone that big with even half a brain couldn't contribute something more on offense....and at least look like he knows who he's covering on defense!

Fes had 7 points in 18 minutes. Had 8 FT attempts. More than Big Al & Millsap. If he actually could hit FTs he would have had a very solid night. Isn't that "something"?

And if Ostertag could have caught some passes.......

And if Bryon Russell hadn't had a penchant for missing layups.....

And as someone said a few posts ago: if only we had McGee instead.

Saw the entire first half last night in HD using "Western Sports T.V." on the internet.

Hmmmmm.

~scratches chin~

Please show me the link you used...because the Western Sports link that we were using a few weeks ago was shut down.

Thank you.

Fes played well, and his defense on Aldrige and challenging Fernandez's drives in the 2nd qtr really stopped Portland's momentum. The only bad plays were a missed 5-footer in the lane and then that drive down the lane he attempted in the 2nd half. Not sure what your issue is with his hands - I agree he usually fumbles rebounds but last night I didn't see him fumble anything. It wasn't his fault he was put in a bad situation - 20 feet from the basket w/the shotclock winding down. FT shooting is limiting his PT. If he improves his FT shooting he could be a extremely valuable to play late in games but when he goes to the line it's basically like a turnover.

I have been thinking about Araújo when I watch Fes. I am sure Fes probably has better basketball skills but he is less athletic, slower (eh, maybe about the same here), and has a much worse work-ethic than Araújo did. And I was never an Araújo homer, the comparison just hit me this season watching Fes more.

Which would still be a massive improvement over our regular bigs who average -15 on/off against the Blazers.

It wasn't his fault he was put in a bad situation - 20 feet from the basket w/the shotclock winding down. FT shooting is limiting his PT. If he improves his FT shooting he could be a extremely valuable to play late in games but when he goes to the line it's basically like a turnover.

.....not blaming Fess at all for the botched play with 3 seconds on the 24 clock....certainly he did what he could. The guard that threw him the ball should have been shot....once in the foot, twice in the head! And your observation is dead on.....putting Fess on the line is like creating a turnover!

Hmmmmm.

~scratches chin~

Please show me the link you used...because the Western Sports link that we were using a few weeks ago was shut down.

Thank you.

....next time they play get on the chat and I'll try and hook you up! Sometimes they don't carry the Jazz game...but when they do, I get it crystal clear....and for free!!!