What's new

Casual Jazz fans

Dwill4mvp

So let me start off by saying that I was born in Utah, and have been a Jazz fan forever. I love the Jazz but, even though I was born in Utah, I was raised in Iowa. There are really hardly any Jazz fans in Iowa(hardly any NBA fans), except when Kyle was with Utah. Which was amazingly fun because it was actually fun to have my friends root for the Jazz for once. Anyways, I moved back to Utah this past summer and it's pretty neat to go to Jazz games and watch them on TV every night. I love it!

Now I work the night shift, at a call center and I must say that this had to have been the most annoying game to watch ever with my co-workers.

I walk in and ask my supervisor "Can you turn on the Jazz game? No one is watching animal planet." For some reason this guy always throws a fit to find root sports but, than after 20 min finds it.

Then chatter begins around my coworkers and let me just quote some things I heard tonight.

"Jazz vs Miami? Oh **** they are going to get killed. No D-will or Boozer anymore."(at this point the jazz were up like 12!)

"OMG this earl watkins guy is so out of control!"

"Ever since the Jazz traded their back court for the whole front court thing, they have had no bench. Since they have no bench they have no one to close out the games"

Al jefferson misses FT's

"Dude our best shooter is missing free throws he gets paid thousands of dollars"

Devin Harris playing well

"For some reason I thought Williams was traded"

I respond "haha Man that is Devin Harris, who has struggled most of the year but, is playing better now. I think they might try to trade him."

Him-"That is why I dont watch the Jazz they trade their best players for all euro players."

Devin Harris scoring at end.

"WE WON!!! HELL YA"

ME "no bro they still got 4 secs and they have 2 of the most elite players in the league and there is plenty of time"

"Well they can't just run down and score within 4 secs I don't think that is possible."

"I loved Boozer, now I just like chicago"

Al Jefferson push shot

"Why is paul millsap shooting hook shots now?"

"thats big Al"

"Oh idk who that is"

"NBA players are such *******"

-"Maybe some are dude but, they are playing a 66 game season, they get tired and banged up. I would like to see you go out there and play."
He responds "Basketball isn't physical or anything, and all you do is run and shoot."

There were some that were worse I'm trying to remember them. But, seriously this was like a group of 15 people. I was shocked at the basketball knowledge by these fans. It's like they are stuck in Boozer, D-will mode. They have no idea who any of the young players are. Idk if I should even call them fans. I was embarrassed by them. They all were cheering in stuff, which is cool I guess. But, this just cracked me up lol. I had to share. There were more I just can't think of them. It's funny because they would say something and I would correct them and they would disregard me. Anybody else have hilarious moments with "fans"? Maybe this was a pointless thread but, I had to share.

That's why I hang out here...even the dumb people here are generally pretty smart. Obviously not as smart as me, but fairly smart.

That's about what it was like watching the game with my GF last night. Although it's a little more innocent than ignorant/arrogant. My favorite part is when Harris got the and1 at the end and after I yell "AND ONE" and Bowler says "And one Devin Harris": She says "His name is andjuan?"

Ha that's funny DWill4mvp, although sorry you had to put up with that. I can tolerate ignorant fans - but not ignorant fans who constantly run their mouth throughout the game.

In 2010 I attended an east coast Jazz game and sat next to some Jazz fans who were really into the game - but they had no idea who Sundiata Gaines was even though he had hit the game-winner against Cleveland only a few weeks prior. (Sundiata had a big cheering section there so they were all like, 'who is that guy and why is everyone cheering for him?') Wasn't sure how you miss seeing anything about the biggest moment of Utah's season, but some fans just don't follow the team that closely.

Going back to the 90's - Jazz fans for the most part had a high understanding of the game. I'm pretty sure they were the only fanbase where over half of the arena could recognize an illegal defense or 3-seconds before the officials did.

I feel your pain, Dwill4mvp.

One of my friends recently said something like, "I just feel so disconnected from the Jazz now. I don't see how they're ever going to be good again."

Me: "We didn't just trade D-Will cause we were afraid of him leaving, we DID like what we were getting in return. And as a Jazz fan, I've never been more excited about the future."

"So...what did we get in the trade that was so good?"

"We got two #3 picks in Favors and Kanter. Williams was a #3 pick too, back in the day."

"But neither of them are doing that much, from what I've seen."

"We didn't want them because of the players they are NOW, we wanted them because of the players we think they can become."

"...."

Some fans just don't understand that players take time to develop. It blows my mind. They see guys like Griffin who come into the league and immediately dominate and think that if a player is good, he is good, there's no such thing as "development." This is even stranger coming from Jazz fans, cause it's not like Williams was an All-Star the second he came into the league...people just don't GET IT.

Another example of how stupid some casual fans are...

I watched the game against the Heat with a friend, and when Howard blocked Lebron, she said, "Who's that guy?"

"Josh Howard" (I've watched several games with her this season, btw. Not sure how she JUST noticed Howard on the team, lol).

"Did we bring him from the D-League or something?"

"No, he was a free agent signing."

(late in the fourth when Lebron went nuts...)

"Why is that Howard guy guarding Lebron?? Shouldn't Millsap or Big Al be guarding him?"

".........No.....they're post players........"

"Well, Lebron is so big!"

"....."

Whatever you guys have heard casual fans say, I bet nothing tops the suggestion of Al Jefferson guarding Lebron James on the perimeter. Holy ****!

Oh yeah, and on the last play game, when we won, she screamed, "Lebron missed! He missed!!!!"

"That was Haslem."

"What's a haslem?"

Let's just say, I'm very grateful for JazzFanzz ;)

The moral to most of the post here, don't watch sports with women unless you want to spend half the game explaining everything to them.

Ya haha like i can tolerate it! The funny thing is that i watch just about every game at work, and this time as soon as i said "The jazz are beating one of the best teams in the league!" It's like everybody suddenly cared haha.

Thank god I have a wife who knows basketball..

We were watching the kings at a party with co-workers. The 1st game we played against them this season when we were at home.

A guy says "Holy **** the jazz are actually winning"

My wife "Don't get to excited it's only the kings"

"But we are the jazz and we suck"

my wife "Ya your right the kings have been much more successful then the jazz (rolls her eyes)"

The moral to most of the post here, don't watch sports with women unless you want to spend half the game explaining everything to them.

Just to clarify my work story.. None of them were women. But, ya me and my brother watched a jazz game with some girls last year. One girl asked us when the game ends!! I said when the 4th quarters time runs out. She thought that they played to a certain score or something.

Exactly my point. I'm still waiting for all of you to get on my level, although since most of you aren't Duke fans I doubt you'll ever get there.

We can't all be experts on all things Dungeons and Dragons, oh enlightened Dukie.

Exactly my point. I'm still waiting for all of you to get on my level, although since most of you aren't Duke fans I doubt you'll ever get there.

A friend from my HS goes to Duke. He is a junior now, he went there not being a fan of ball, but has become an avid Blue Devils fan. He still knows nothing about basketball.

We can't all be experts on all things Dungeons and Dragons, oh enlightened Dukie.

I wish more people had a sense of humor like you.

A friend from my HS goes to Duke. He is a junior now, he went there not being a fan of ball, but has become an avid Blue Devils fan. He still knows nothing about basketball.

Like anybody who goes to Duke knows anything about basketball. They're the reason I don't read the Duke scout board. "I graduated from Duke so obviously I know more about sports than you, you inbred mongoloid." What a bunch of mouth breathers, they're luck Coach K is a genius. I just appreciate good basketball, which Duke plays.