What's new

Championship Teams and the Jazz

m3at

I was looking at the new NBA Stats site and saw some interesting graphs. I'm not a stats person and not great at numbers/math (UX/Interaction Designer), so there won't be an amazing break down on the number or what they mean or anything like that. I just found it interesting that the 3 teams that have consistently won championships since I started watching the NBA have some very high points and low points throughout their duration whereas the Jazz seem to have more of a consistent graph.

First up: Lakers
KffZ3nT.png

Second: Celtics
6rQPfCC.png

Third: Bulls
y2nBASk.png

Fourth: Spurs
0Kgyza2.png

And of course, our Jazz
8LdPOeM.png

It seems like the teams that have won consecutive championships have also hit rock bottom a few times in their history. Does that mean that having seasons that are absolutely horrible is a recipe for a championship? I don't know, but I thought it was at least interesting to see.

I've obviously cherry picked the data due to lack of time/interest but I question if what Utah does is the right or correct plan/recipe for success. I think it certainly brings monetary success to their organization because of the loyalty of the fans, but would they experience the same loyalty and success outside of Utah?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.51.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.51.11 PM.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.51.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.51.41 PM.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.52.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.52.09 PM.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.52.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.52.38 PM.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 3
If we have too many low points there simply won't be a team in Utah to root for.

Just ask Sonics & Kings fans.

I have done a little research as well..

It turns out that the reason we have such a loyal fan base is because of the high number of church goers we have here. It is a scientific fact that religion provides the fertile soil for gullibility and blind faith to thrive. The suckerism is off the charts in Utah. When looking at satellite images you can see it concentrated around the ESA pretty heavily. The Jazz can promise they are championship chasing every year, and every year people believe it.

Oh calm down. I'm Joking. Dont get your panties in a knot.

Suckers!!

They got you again, didn't they?

I have done a little research as well..

It turns out that the reason we have such a loyal fan base is because of the high number of church goers we have here. It is a scientific fact that religion provides the fertile soil for gullibility and blind faith to thrive. The suckerism is off the charts in Utah. When looking at satellite images you can see it concentrated around the ESA pretty heavily. The Jazz can promise they are championship chasing every year, and every year people believe it.

Oh calm down. I'm Joking. Dont get your panties in a knot.

Suckers!!

They got you again, didn't they?

Lame joke/half-hearted troll attemp/whatever that was.

Its no surprise that the teams who hit the lottery and draft well win the championships. And the teams who stand pat on mediocrity dont. At least we got all that playoff experience in our back pockets we have been building up for decades.

I'm not wearing panties.

Seriously though, championship teams usually have a Top-3 pick leading them. The Jazz have been clever to use other teams' lottery picks--Hayward, Favors, Kanter--by acquiring those picks through trades.

We have two top-3 picks back-to-back. Those players are going to determine our fate.

I'm not wearing panties.

Seriously though, championship teams usually have a Top-3 pick leading them. The Jazz have been clever to use other teams' lottery picks--Hayward, Favors, Kanter--by acquiring those picks through trades.

We have two top-3 picks back-to-back. Those players are going to determine our fate.

Ewww. You aren't wearing any panties? Please tell me you aren't wearing a skirt. Is that why you smell like fish?

Good work m3at. The thing to remember is that even though those teams aside from the Jazz have had their bad seasons, they mainly got over the peak and became championship-level teams either through trades or free agency (Lakers trading for Kobe, signing Shaq as a FA, Lakers trading for Gasol, Celtics getting Allen and KG via trade) or by improving over time (Bulls). The Spurs got there by getting extremely lucky after their terrible season. There's no way in hell they should have won the lottery to get Duncan. Without him, they may still never have won a championship.

The point is that having a couple of terrible seasons could get the Jazz closer to a title, but imo it would be more due to younger guys getting heavier minutes (causing the rough seasons) and improving than drafting the guy who immediately makes you a contender.

I was looking at the new NBA Stats site and saw some interesting graphs. I'm not a stats person and not great at numbers/math (UX/Interaction Designer), so there won't be an amazing break down on the number or what they mean or anything like that. I just found it interesting that the 3 teams that have consistently won championships since I started watching the NBA have some very high points and low points throughout their duration whereas the Jazz seem to have more of a consistent graph.

First up: Lakers
KffZ3nT.png

Second: Celtics
6rQPfCC.png

Third: Bulls
y2nBASk.png

Fourth: Spurs
0Kgyza2.png

And of course, our Jazz
8LdPOeM.png

It seems like the teams that have won consecutive championships have also hit rock bottom a few times in their history. Does that mean that having seasons that are absolutely horrible is a recipe for a championship? I don't know, but I thought it was at least interesting to see.

I've obviously cherry picked the data due to lack of time/interest but I question if what Utah does is the right or correct plan/recipe for success. I think it certainly brings monetary success to their organization because of the loyalty of the fans, but would they experience the same loyalty and success outside of Utah?
I would just like to point out that we could've had two championships with no lotto picks if not for going against Jordans Bulls.

I fail to see the relevance of those stats. I'm not even sure those numbers show the Jazz having fewer ups and downs. The time ranges are arbitrarily different for each graph, and yet, they still barely show any meaningful difference between the teams other than what you'd expect from different entities with different histories. And that's without getting into the correlation vs causation argument.

If we have too many low points there simply won't be a team in Utah to root for.

And yet there are still teams in Indiana, Toronto and Minnesota despite going through some of bad years.

I'm getting tired of this thought. The Jazz have some of the most loyal fans in the NBA. I think it would take closer to 10 years of suckage before the team gets moved.

If I remember correctly, it was Locke that started the talk about the team barely bring able to survive. That is the same guy that continues to say that the core four doesn't deserve the playing time that Foye/Tinsley/Jefferson etc get. Conspiracy theory? Absolutely.

The reason the Sonics lost their team had nothing to do with the fans not supporting them. Like the Kings it has to do with getting a new arena. I highly doubt the Jazz fans would jump ship if the team lost a few years in a row.

The reason the Sonics lost their team had nothing to do with the fans not supporting them. Like the Kings it has to do with getting a new arena. I highly doubt the Jazz fans would jump ship if the team lost a few years in a row.

Thank you.

And yet there are still teams in Indiana, Toronto and Minnesota despite going through some of bad years.

I'm getting tired of this thought. The Jazz have some of the most loyal fans in the NBA. I think it would take closer to 10 years of suckage before the team gets moved.

If I remember correctly, it was Locke that started the talk about the team barely bring able to survive. That is the same guy that continues to say that the core four doesn't deserve the playing time that Foye/Tinsley/Jefferson etc get. Conspiracy theory? Absolutely.

Excellent post.

You all read this right now. You might learn something.