What's new

Chat with Chad Ford (some interesting answers)

dd11

Which teams would potentially be looking to trade up into the top three? Would the Cavs, Bucks, or Sixers have any interest?

Chad Ford:
Of the three, I think the Cavs are the most interested in trading the pick. The Bucks and Sixers are in a rebuild and highly value those picks they have. The Cavs are going to want a youngish veteran All-Star in return. Kevin Love is the obvious choice here. Joakim Noah. LaMarcus Aldridge. Al Horford. That's what it is going to take.

What are the chances someone before Orlando takes Exum and if so who would be dropping down to them? As A Magic fan I'm excited about Exum but in odd twist also would be excited if any of the other top 3 drop to them.

Chad Ford:
I think there's a chance the Bucks could take Exum at 2. If they do, then I think it would be either Embiid or Parker that would fall to them there. They'd snap up both players in a heart beat. Also don't count out Marcus Smart in Orlando. They loved him last year, he's already gone into a workout there and there are some in the organization who believe he's better than Exum.

What in your opinion separates Exum from Smart if you are Orlando picking at 4?

Chad Ford:
Both have elite size and length for their position. Exum is quicker and better at getting to the basket. Smart is much stronger and physically ready. Smart is a better defender, but both are tough. Exum is probably more of a natural point guard than Smart -- but both are really combo guards at heart. Smart's proven leadership is a plus. Exum is younger and many feel has a higher upside. Neither is a great shooter yet. I think there's a legit argument for both. And by the way, Pelton's WARP has them ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the draft.

Do the Jazz and any chance at moving up to grab Parker?! Please say yes!

Chad Ford:
They have a lot of assets and I think they could tempt Cleveland if they threw together several of them into a package that rounded out this team. For instance ... what about a sign-and-trade that delivered Gordan Hayward and Enes Kanter -- fixes holes at both the three and the five long-term for the Cavs. Both are ready to go now. The question will be ... Hayward is a restricted free agent. Free agency doesn't start until after the draft. So the Cavs would have to take Jabari at 1 and then hope they could get Hayward to play along. Derrick Favors could also tempt them I'm told. But the Cavs would need another piece -- perhaps the 5th pick?

Who has the most long-term potential out of Smart, Vonleh, Randal and Gordon? The Jazz have a great collection of "pretty good" prospects and could use a "great" one...

Chad Ford:
That's a tough one. I don't think they are particularly high on Smart. At least they haven't been the past two years. But he's much more of a need than Vonleh, Randle or Gordon. If somehow Exum slides -- then that's a no-brainer for them. Between those three -- Vonleh probably has the best chance of being special. Unique combination of physical tools and skills. I'm a fan of all three however. Gordon has some Andrei Kirilenko and Shawn Marion in him which could be a nice fit.

There are a lot more questions, here you can read it all: https://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50661

Good stuff, thanks bro

I see Chad makes the A. Gordon to Shawn Marion/ Andrei Kirilenko comp again, that I referenced, and had people accusing me of pulling out of my *** in the Gordon v Vonleh thread. ... Didn't know Chad Ford lived in my ***.

Gordan...LOL.

So is Ford implying that the Cavs and Jazz could make a backroom/wink-wink deal where the Cavs draft Parker #1, then hold onto him for a couple of weeks while the Jazz match an offer on Hayward...Then make the trade? If I'm the Jazz I'd be nervous about doing this. What if Cleveland changes their mind and chooses to keep Jabari and now we're holding the bag on a huge/undeserving contract with Hayward we didn't want in the first place?

I see Chad makes the A. Gordon to Shawn Marion/ Andrei Kirilenko comp again, that I referenced, and had people accusing me of pulling out of my *** in the Gordon v Vonleh thread. ... Didn't know Chad Ford lived in my ***.

Better check what esle is up there!!!

Who else is in there?

Edit: Damnit, Zulu got to the joke first.

Gordan...LOL.

So is Ford implying that the Cavs and Jazz could make a backroom/wink-wink deal where the Cavs draft Parker #1, then hold onto him for a couple of weeks while the Jazz match an offer on Hayward...Then make the trade? If I'm the Jazz I'd be nervous about doing this. What if Cleveland changes their mind and chooses to keep Jabari and now we're holding the bag on a huge/undeserving contract with Hayward we didn't want in the first place?

Of course they want to do this, to get back at us for the whole Boozer fiasco.

Gordan...LOL.

SO we're not offering Gordan a contract even IF the Jazz don't find a sign and trade? How do we get stuck holding the bag?
There is absolutely ZERO backroom deal. No one can talk to Hayward until July 1. It's not going to happen, though.

Favors plus the #5 could work. I don't know, though. Is Embiid with a questionable back more valuable than Favors + Vonleh? It's the kind of trade that usually results in one of the GM's getting fired within 2 years.

I think if we trade up to #1, Parker is the target.

Not saying he should be the target - I just think he would be the target.

In a CLE trade, I think Kanter is the most likely piece to be moved. I know CLE really liked him before the 2011 draft (couldn't pass on Kyrie, duh). At least publicly, the Jazz seem to really value Hayward and Favors, so it would surprise me to see them as part of a trade to move up to #1. I would likely support, it though - don't view anyone on the roster as untouchable.

I think if we trade up to #1, Parker is the target.

Not saying he should be the target - I just think he would be the target.

This is what scares me about any potential trade for the overall #1. I think you're right.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Ford will throw enough crap at the wall that something will end up sticking through sheer quantity of crap. As you would imagine, he's then proclaimed a genius.

Ford will throw enough crap at the wall that something will end up sticking through sheer quantity of crap. As you would imagine, he's then proclaimed a genius.

It would be funny to read a book of Chad Ford quotes back when Darko was a draft prospect. Ford nearly singlehandedly got Darko drafted #2 overall and, iirc, was even touting him above LeBron at one point.

quick question... he says gordon would have to agree blah blah blah and have to wait til after the draft etc....can the jazz not trade the restricted free agent rights to cleveland??? Then he has no choice ....i dont get it...

If we get the #1 pick, we would almost have to trade Favors. If that's the case, we would be targeting Embiid.

A starting lineup of Parker, Burke, Kanter and Burks would be ridiculously bad. Like astronomically bad. They would surrender 130 every night. On the other hand, Embiid might be good enough defensively to actually make Kanter useful.

It would be funny to read a book of Chad Ford quotes back when Darko was a draft prospect. Ford nearly singlehandedly got Darko drafted #2 overall and, iirc, was even touting him above LeBron at one point.

Well Darko wasn't a bust until he started playing... This just shows that any one of this guys can bust. yay.

quick question... he says gordon would have to agree blah blah blah and have to wait til after the draft etc....can the jazz not trade the restricted free agent rights to cleveland??? Then he has no choice ....i dont get it...
No you can not trade restricted FA rights. He is a Free Agent. the only control the Jazz have over his contract is the right to match. Nothing else can be done with him unless he agrees to a sign and trade after July 1st.

No you can not trade restricted FA rights. He is a Free Agent. the only control the Jazz have over his contract is the right to match. Nothing else can be done with him unless he agrees to a sign and trade after July 1st.

Which is really, really, really dumb. Especially since he's not a free agent until July 1st and it puts the Jazz (and any other teams interested in Hayward) in an absolutely pointless bind.