What's new

CJ to the Cavs

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54624285-62/cleveland-cavaliers-source-free.html.csp

Thought the Lakers had the inside... Oh well, puts a few more miles between us and Miles.

Nice find. I thought he'd go to the Lakers as well. Cleveland could probably give him more money and the chance for more minutes than the Lakers. Alonzo Gee should take his qualifying offer and come into camp with a chip on his shoulder and get ready to earn some minutes and a nice contract next year.

Dang. This renders my brand-new sig obsolete already.

Kyrie Irving looks like fun to play with, fo sho.

Also, Cleveland food is very photogenic, I hear.

images

Flashback time:

https://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_6269364

After the Jazz drafted Miles out of high school in the second round of the 2005 draft, Miller had a conversation with Stern, one he recounted Friday with Miles set to hit the free-agent market late tonight.

"I said 'David, there's a kid you've never heard of,' '' Miller said. " 'He's out of Dallas and we drafted him this year. But keep your eye on him because in five to seven years he's going to be an All-Star.' He looked at me like I was nuts."
so will this happen in Cleveland, or was Larry delusional?

By CJ, I had high hopes.

"After the Jazz drafted Miles out of high school in the second round of the 2005 draft, Miller had a conversation with Stern, one he recounted Friday with Miles set to hit the free-agent market late tonight. "I said 'David, there's a drug you've never heard of,' '' Miller said. " 'It's on the streets and I just took it before the draft. But keep your eye on Miles because in five to seven years he's going to be an All-Star.' He looked at me like I was nuts."

"And, I told him I wasn't nuts, just high on bath salts."

^^^
Fixed

Before people knock on management for picking p CJ, remember he was an early second round pick. The fact that he played for as long as he has means he is beating the odds, so the Jazz picking him up was fine, and his second contract was reasonable for how he preformed on the court. It just became evident that he wasn't going to improve, at least not in an organized system, so he went elsewhere.

I don't hold any bad feelings toward C.J., but I'm glad he's someone else's problem now. The guy had a lot of talent, but just could never find any consistency. I wish him luck in Cleveland.

Before people knock on management for picking p CJ, remember he was an early second round pick. The fact that he played for as long as he has means he is beating the odds, so the Jazz picking him up was fine, and his second contract was reasonable for how he preformed on the court. It just became evident that he wasn't going to improve, at least not in an organized system, so he went elsewhere.
Agree. And Larry H. did right by CJ. One of the reasons he skipped college is that he had a first-round guarantee by a team (the Jazz). And teh Jazz, of course, traded their 2nd first-round pick to move up and get Deron. So when CJ slipped to the Jazz in Rd 2, Larry H. gave him a guarantted multi-year deal, just like Cj would have received hda the Jazz not traded that pick. Cj had/has a ton of talent. It's too bad that for whatever reason, he was not able to put it together on a consistent basis for the Jazz.

tom nissalke still swears that, given the right opportunity, CJ could be a 20 ppg scorer.

can't say i agree, but nissalke is hardly a basketball idiot, so it's just interesting to see an opinion that's very different from the widespread one.