What's new

CNNSI.com Northwest Division Preview

I should have meant the whole article. I don't think the Jazz will finish 3rd, I don't think that the Blazers are going to be that much better than the Jazz. But, who the hell knows; anything can happen.

No way do the Blazers have the best shot at unseating the Lakers. And Oden playing in the 'offs is all that matters? What if he gets injured for most of the season and then comes back in the playoffs? What if he sucks for the entire season? I don't see how him simply being there in the 'offs makes them any stronger when the dude has done absolutely nothing to prove his merit in this league. With our without Bynum/Oden, the Blazers will not make it to the WCF let alone the Finals. What a laughable prediction. I guess that's why it's BOLD.

Blazers will be third in the division. For some reason the page won't load for me, so I can't comment on anything else.

Well, the Blazers have owned the Lakers at the Rose Garden so I'm guessing that has something to do with it. Camby is the real key to the Blazers. If he stays healthy, they'll be very good. But I'd bet the house he misses 25 games this year. He's old and he's been very fortunate the last few years.

Ridiculous. The Jazz are without a question better than the Blazers. OKC is overrated, but can be a credible threat. I'd be surprised if the Jazz don't win the division title.

Here's a syllogism.

If Oden is healthy the Blazers will be good.
Oden won't be healthy.
The Blazers won't be good.

What is kind of funny is I remember reading an article in "SLAM" about Oden right after he was drafted talking about how unhumanly flexible Oden was. They were saying that his unique flexiblity was going to allow to to run the floor and handle the ball like a small forward. Not to mention that flexibility would help keep him off the injury report.

Good call "SLAM" good call.

Even when Oden is healthy he sucks. They could have everyone 100% on that team and they are average at best. Its laughable the love the Blazers get.

Denying the antecedent

Here's a syllogism.

Oden won't be healthy.

That is a logical fallicy called "Denying the antecedent"

which is drawing a conclusion from premises that do not support that conclusion by assuming Not P implies Not Q on the basis that P implies Q.

Example:
Argument: If I eat too much pizza, I will get fat. I did not eat too much pizza, therefore I did not get fat.
Problem: Eating pizza is not the only way to get fat. I could 100 eat pork rinds each day or stop working out.

The reason your post is a fallacy and not a syllogism is that your premises do not preclude the possibility of something else making the Blazers suck: Roy gets hit by a truck, Andre Miller forgets how to distribute the ball, the starting lineup gets food poisoning, the team does not develop good chemistry, poor coaching, etc, etc.

Fes already pwns the Blazers - and the Nuggets.
Jazz just need to get in Durrant's head and the NW division title will be theirs.

Here's a syllogism.

Oden won't be healthy.

See, I think this is totally wrong even though the media perpetuates it. Oden has lost critical development time every year of his career. He's going to lose it this year, too. I see him as being a guy who is like Bynum, though not nearly as good. Healthy, he'll have good games and bad game, but be inconsistent. He needs a whole year to get his game up closer to his potential. He won't have that. Camby is the real linchpin of the Blazers.

I think the media just likes picking Portland as the division champs EVERY ****ING YEAR because they think, hell, you keep doin' it and one time you're bound to be right...then you can spend the next five months of the offseason patting yourself on the back.

I agree. It is bold. ;)

Seriously, Oden does help the Blazers match up better to the Lakers. However, I think a full-strength Roy is much more important than anything else. He's the guy that gives the Lakers the most trouble. Also, Matthews should help them spread the floor a little better.

I also think if the Blazers were smart, they'd give more time to Battum. Although, just like Outlaw and Miles before him, the Blazers don't use their athletic small forwards very well. Maybe Paul Allen has really been the coach all this time? :D