What's new

Come in this thread and flame on! (Bad trade idea)

jrclone

Okay, so now that I have the disclaimer out of the way, I would like the Jazz to make this trade:

https://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7rmfkpe

Before everyone gets up in arms, this is not a trade to bring Jimmer to the Jazz. I mean, it is, but that's not the motivation behind it.

The Jazz need to clear playing time for our bigs. That much is absolutely obvious.

The Kings could really use a player like Millsap to bring some stability to their bench and maybe starting lineup. They also just extended Keith Smart's contract, meaning Jimmer is stuck on the bench.

I don't know that Jimmer will amount to anything, but I know he will sell tickets. This is the main reason its a win win for the Jazz. They commit to the youth movement, but still are guaranteed to sell tickets through all the BYU fans. These BYU fans may become regular Jazz fans, or maybe they won't, but it would be enough to get through the first two seasons of the youth movement, without worrying about how losses will affect ticket sales. Then when the team is hopefully better, wins will bring back the fair weather fans. I think it would be a brilliant business move, and it might work as a basketball move. The only downside would be the circus surrounding Jimmer for a while, specifically zoobies calling for Corbin's head if Jimmer doesn't start, but that would at least create buzz and more interest in the Jazz.

Hayes would be a decent backup to have coming off the bench, but wouldn't take nearly the amount of minutes required by a player of Millsaps caliber.

So, I know it looks dumb and sounds dumb, but if this trade were possible, I would jump on it.

Now proceed with the flaming...

I dont think the Jazz really have a problem selling tickets when your the only major sport in town...

Jimmer sucks, I'd do Millsap for Evans

Wow, just wow! And I mean that in the most horrible way. You would trade a big for a small and a borderline all-star for a borderline bust. I'm a BYU fan, but there's not a snowball's chance in Utah I'd ever consider trading for Jimmer. Not unless the Kings were willing to accept CJ Miles and a second-rounder. Jimmer will NEVER be a quality starter. He's a tweener who can't play defense. Millsap is a near 20-10 player who could be a candidate for best sixth man if he came off the bench.

If/when Millsap gets traded, it better net Utah a QUALITY starter at one of the wings. That isn't Fredette...not even close.

I knew this would be an unpopular post, but don't mistake me for a Jimmer fan.

Jimmer will not amount to anything in this league. The trade was proposed as a way for us to get playing time for our young bigs. Earlier today on KFAN I heard a couple of the hosts talking about it being irrelevant who they bring in for Millsap, they would even be happy with a trade exception. I proposed this trade merely as a way of making that transition a little easier to the front office who seems so convinced that Jazz fans will stop coming to games if we start playing our youth and losing.

Despite all of the replies in this thread, no one has addressed the actual substance of the topic, rather just immediately dismissed the trade offhand thinking this was another BYU fan's wetdream about bringing Jimmer to the Jazz. The real concern I have is that we will trade Millsap for nothing, or a trade exception. I realize Jimmer amounts to about the same or less than nothing to most posters here on the board, but in the state at large, it would create some incredible media buzz, and intense interest. Those two things combine to create $$$, which gives the ownership some breathing room should we start to really come apart at the seams.

TLDR: I don't care for Jimmer as a player, I care about developing our young talent, which will not happen with Millsap here. Rather than trading Millsap for nothing, I believe if we traded him for Jimmer, it would generate revenue for the team, which would allow the ownership to stop trying to make the playoffs this year with a mediocre team, also potentially costing us a lottery pick.

Who said anything about trading Millsap for nothing? That is what it amounts to in this proposal. Millsap can get us a much better asset. He has value, especially if you look at production vs. price. Millsap + filler (perhaps even one of our 1st round picks) may even get a near all-star STARTER at one of the wings.

I'm not really in favor of trading Millsap at all. I think if/when Favors shows he is ready to start...remember he was given that chance and failed...Millsap can be moved to the bench. He'd still get about the same amount of PT. Can you imagine how good the bench would be with Millsap and Hayward?

Let Paul ask for a trade before making any unnecessary moves. As much as we'd like to see player development, Favors and Kanter are NOT ready right now to play 30 mins each. Of all the youngsters, I think Burks is showing the most right now. Well, along with Hayward, but Gordon is already getting a ton of playing time. If anything, KOC needs to focus on moving Miles or Bell to free up wing minutes for Alec.

Chuck hayes for that much for that long? I would not trade CJ for that. I'd rather trade Millsap for a late 2nd round pick than get stuck with Hayes for that.

Here's a better one.

https://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7qsb9kt

Now that's better. Those who want Jimmer, get Jimmer.....and we don't ever have to watch CJ in a Jazz uni again. The catch, Sactown doesn't need another chucker (not to mention his expiring contract), even for the out-of-place Fredette.

They might do this though,

https://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6p8bsaa

Anyway, I got my Jimmer talk out of me. Ignoring thread.
I would make the 2nd trade only if KOC can guarantee not to play him over Burks or Hayward until he is better than them. Which he is unlikely to ever be.

The OP is Hayes and Jimmer for Millsap and Carroll.

Thanks. Should have known that, obviously.

I love Hayes .. but no more than Sap (less). I would HATE Jimmer on this team .. fans would scream for 48 minutes .. with no regard for winning, at all.

Thanks. Should have known that, obviously.

I love Hayes .. but no more than Sap (less). I would HATE Jimmer on this team .. fans would scream for 48 minutes .. with no regard for winning, at all.
NO problem. And I agree on Jimmer. I was so relieved he was gone before our 12th pick. Now I would no way in hell trade Burks for Jimmer.