What's new

Comparison to the 96-97 Jazz Finals Team

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
I had this as a post in another thread and thought it would be interesting to track our performance relative to the greatest Jazz team of all time, the 64-18 Stockton and Malone team that took us to the finals for the first time in 1997. So I copied out my content from that post and pasted it here and will update it now and then as we finish out this historic Jazz season!

I will update various parts this post and add the changes in color to be easy to find.

So, a comparison.

The 96-97 Jazz team had the best record we have recorded as a team for a season, at 64-18, which is a 78.0% win percentage. For our current team that would translate into 56 wins. That is the target. The 96-97 team had a record of 55-17 through 72 games.

So, some milestones.

Here are the records for the 96-97 team through each set of 10 games for the season, compared to our run this year:

Through 10 games
Then = 8-2
Now = 6-4

20 games
Then = 17-3
Now = 15-5

30 games
Then = 22-8
Now = 24-6

40 games
Then = 27-13
Now = 29-11

So we have a better record than our first finals team through 40 games no matter what happens in the next game. But we are on a lower overall winning percentage as a season through 40 games, at 76.% vs 78% on the season for the 96-97 team.

Here is how the 96-97 team stacked up through the next sets.

50 = 36-14 (38-12)
60 = 44-16 (44-16)
70 = 53-17
72 = 55-17

We are currently winning at a 73.33% rate, and at that rate here is where we would end up.

50 = 38-12
60 = 44-16
70 = 51-19

72 = 53-19

82 = 60-22 (hypothetically)

So at our current win rate we are on track to be even with the 96-97 team on the season, through 72 games of course. This would translate to 62 wins in an 82 game season, still 2 games behind the 96-97 team, as they went 9-1 over their last 10 games that year.

Fun fact, the 96-97 team recorded TWO 15-game winning streaks on that season, one at the beginning and one near the end, winning 19 of their last 20 games. Just flat out dominant. Of course for the 20 games after game 20 they lost 11 of 20 in a really rough stretch. So dips happen to the best of them.

It is still hypothetically in reach to hit 60 wins this season, and be far and away the best Jazz team ever (regular season that is) by far!! That would be 68 wins in a normal 82 game season. I really think they can do it if they can find their mojo. (Welp they didn't find their mojo. 60 wins is out of reach. Best we could do now is win out and end at 56-16, which would equate to 64 wins, essentially matching the 96-97 team.)

It might take another move at the trade deadline (or now, buy-out market) to get us much beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs, but the regular season Jazz crown is in sight!

Last edited:
Our current team has a younger dynamic duo, a 6th man of the year favorite, and no Jordan to get through. Who knows? Maybe Utah will be celebrating this July.
I really think this is our best chance, better than any of our 2 finals runs, because we are not facing an established juggernaut in a team like the Bull, who matched or exceeded us each of those 2 years in the regular season. Yeah the Nets or the Sixers will be supremely tough outs but we have shown we can hang with just about anybody this year. I really really like our chances.

Our current team has a younger dynamic duo, a 6th man of the year favorite, and no Jordan to get through. Who knows? Maybe Utah will be celebrating this July.
Having a younger duo isn’t always better. That teams biggest problem was depth. That’s basically the only thing this team had over th 96-97 team
I really think this is our best chance, better than any of our 2 finals runs, because we are not facing an established juggernaut in a team like the Bull, who matched or exceeded us each of those 2 years in the regular season. Yeah the Nets or the Sixers will be supremely tough outs but we have shown we can hang with just about anybody this year. I really really like our chances.
But this team has a tougher road to the finals IMO.

When I try to imagine how serious of a contender we are this year, one thought keeps occurring to me: we’re going to need to be in optimum health.

I supremely hope we’ve got a good load management system ready to rollout.

All the centers on our current roster are way better than ostertag, especially an injured Udoka

The way the Jazz play is much more like the 2017/18 Rockets. That Rockets team won 65 games, had the #1 offensive rating, had the #6 defensive rating, and led the league with 42 3pt attempts per game.

They had the Warriors on the ropes before Chris Paul pulled his hamstring.

When I try to imagine how serious of a contender we are this year, one thought keeps occurring to me: we’re going to need to be in optimum health.

Devil's advocate: we are undefeated when donovan doesn't play (I think it's 5-0 or something) and 8-1 when Conley doesn't play.

I think we are deeper than most teams and can withstand injury better than most teams.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

From my memory, that Jazz team was more dominant. This team seems to coast to wins, letting teams get back in games, which is not a good sign. But this team has more depth. At least from what I recall.

Devil's advocate: we are undefeated when donovan doesn't play (I think it's 5-0 or something) and 8-1 when Conley doesn't play.

I think we are deeper than most teams and can withstand injury better than most teams.

I think we lack a sufficient amount of length and athleticism when it comes to playoff basketball. In order to overcome this, we need the sex machine running at full tilt. Full health. Joe needs to be flame-throwing. Clarkson needs his full maniac. Etc.

In my opinion.

I think we lack a sufficient amount of length and athleticism when it comes to playoff basketball. In order to overcome this, we need the sex machine running at full tilt. Full health. Joe needs to be flame-throwing. Clarkson needs his full maniac. Etc.

In my opinion.
I agree.
My biggest worry is our lack of size, especially at the 4. I wish royce and bojan were both a couple inches taller.
Teams will try to get Rudy out of the paint and when successful we can't rebound or defend the rim.

I am a bit concerned at the obvious absence here. crossing my fingers with you.

From my memory, that Jazz team was more dominant. This team seems to coast to wins, letting teams get back in games, which is not a good sign. But this team has more depth. At least from what I recall.
That is my recollection but maybe not true. Jazz have the 16th highest point differential (9.3) in NBA history. Old jazz were 26th (8.6)

Source

It was a different game then. 1990s Jazz were consistent and fundamentally sound.

The current team has depth and flexibility.

The 4-5 positions are so different between the two teams. Malone could stretch the floor and defended well inside.

Rudy changes the entire defense - something cardboard cut-out Ostertag could only ever dream of doing.

A Malone-Rudy combo would have been so amazing. Having that we'd win the Championship both then and now.

The front office has actually done a great job giving us a competitive team, especially after Haywood sold us out. Heck, from last season to this season the improvement is there.

It was a different game then. 1990s Jazz were consistent and fundamentally sound.

The current team has depth and flexibility.

The 4-5 positions are so different between the two teams. Malone could stretch the floor and defended well inside.

Rudy changes the entire defense - something cardboard cut-out Ostertag could only ever dream of doing.

A Malone-Rudy combo would have been so amazing. Having that we'd win the Championship both then and now.

The front office has actually done a great job giving us a competitive team, especially after Haywood sold us out. Heck, from last season to this season the improvement is there.
We can only dream right? But imagine a starting 5 of:

Stockton
Mitchell
Ingles
Malone
Gobert

Good hell. Win all the rings.