What's new

Corbin admits the Jazz don't have a traditional 3??

cctrackstar

(twitter) Jodie Gennessy: Corbin admitted the Jazz don't a have a traditional 3 man but said size helps natural SGs Gordon Hayward and C.J. Miles play the SF spot. Corbin also said Millsap and Evans will see time at small forward

Not sure I like this at all. Sure, the Jazz have players to fill the spot, but I was sure that it would be Raja and Burks at the 2 and CJ and Miles at the 3. If we have 4 natural 2 guards, and no natural 3's, I can't imagine that the team will be balanced.

Only good news about this: more time for Evans and Millsap.

I don't think Gordon is anymore a natural SG as he is a natural SF. I would rather see him at the 3, myself. The other three, though, all seem like 2's to me.

I think it should be GH getting big minutes at SF with the next most going to Millsap. Then the 2 is held down, hopefully, by Burks (primarily) by mid-season. I'm just not all that hopeful we get a whole hella lot out of Bell/Miles. Pessimist?

I don't think Gordon is anymore a natural SG as he is a natural SF. I would rather see him at the 3, myself. The other three, though, all seem like 2's to me.

I think it should be GH getting big minutes at SF with the next most going to Millsap. Then the 2 is held down, hopefully, by Burks (primarily) by mid-season. I'm just not all that hopeful we get a whole hella lot out of Bell/Miles. Pessimist?
Realist.

So Coach Corbin is saying we have players with Small Forward size but shooting guard skills. If they put in the effort in rebounding and defense this a plus for us.

Keep in mind that Corbin played small forward in the NBA and wasn't much of ball handler. He was a good defender and rebounder.

Does CJ have shooting guard skills?

BTW, I've been lurking for a while but otherwise I'm new. Hi. :)

Welcome!

And yes, CJ has shooting guard skills. Poor skills, but those few that he does have are primarily as a SG.

Does CJ have shooting guard skills?

BTW, I've been lurking for a while but otherwise I'm new. Hi. :)
Welcome Mo Tappin - Hope you enjoy posting on here. Alas CJ has all the skills in the world, but he has always proved to be to inconsistant to be worth a starting position.

I would love to see Evens develop into a good 3 man. He can rebound, he has length and good potental quickness that I dont feel he has developed due to being asked to play the 4/5 throughout his carrer. When he shot (which was rare) it looked pretty good. Pair him with GH and maybe Memo or another guard who can shoot outside and that could open up for slashing or midrange shots. His length and hops could hampter both shooters and drive to the basket guys just like Ak did in the past. Im pretty much hopeing for a breakout year from all the sophmores. I really dont think we are as shallow at 3 as it might look. Milsap can play the 3, evens, hayward and cj. We could go really crazy and go memo, al and favors could play the 3. Thats it, Im changing my mind. Favors should start at 3.

Jazz don't have a traditional 3 - no ****.

What's he going to admit next? One free throw made = one point?

Jazz don't have a traditional 3 - no ****.

What's he going to admit next? One free throw made = one point?

This just in on Twitter!

Corbin has just stated that one free throw made is the equivalent of one point, and is as good a stat as half of an assist.

I lost the link, but it's out there.

The lack of a traditional 3 who can defend is really the only reason I'd consider signing Josh Howard (hopefully to a 1-yr deal at the most).

Offensively the 2 and 3 can be interchangeable in Jazzbasketball, although at this stage I'd prefer to see Hayward at SG because I like his ability to handle the ball, and defensively I'd prefer to have a SF who is a little stronger and more physical than Gordon. To match up with the Melo's, LeBron's, Durants, Pierces and Grangers you almost need a 225-230 pounder w/long arms - not only to defend the pinch-post but to help you out on the boards. Hayward may get there eventually, but at this point I think he brings more to the table as a SG.

One other underrated part of Hayward's game is his ability to change ends of the floor quickly and leak out for fastbreak opportunities - which is very similar to Wes Matthews. In 09-10 Wes would run himself to atleast 1 layup/FT's every game just by changing ends quicker and running harder than his opponent. In Hayward's breakout game against the Clippers last January he did the same thing. It sounds simple, but it takes special instincts and awareness to explode the second a ball is deflected - and IMO you generally get more opportunities to do this when you're guarding 2's instead of 3's.
Examples:
Wes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd6JWErfB24#t=1m00s
Gordon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJPS0Y996J4#t=1m09s

OK, CJ does posses SG skills, he just needs to learn to use them...all the time. I like Hayward at 2 better, but he can also play 3 pretty well, especially with the added muscle he's put on. The kid can score, as he showed at the latter part of last season. Can't wait to see more of what he can do.

Not sure how I feel about adding Josh Howard when we have other guys who CAN play his position.

Getting excited to see the future of this team though. Should be a fun season, playoffs or no playoffs.

Paul Millsap and Jeremy Evans are our small forwards right now. Playing Millsap and Evans primarily at SF opens up minutes for Favors and Kanter to develop at the PF and C positions while Okur and Jefferson hold down the fort. Gordon Hayward (starter) and C.J. Miles (primary reserve) should be getting all of the minutes at shooting guard. Alec Burks should get all of the minutes behind the two primary players at the wing positions. This is why I don't want the Jazz to sign Josh Howard. He would just clog things up further.

Corbin's comment about not having a 3 has an easy solution that I pointed to 10 days ago. Sign the best available out there, AK. His agent is obviously going to have to come down some but both sides need to come together. Another point I tried to make still holds up- right now Hayward is spending the predominate amount of time at the 3. Bringing back AK helps Hayward's progress instead of hindering it by allowing him to move back to the the 2 spot where he has a chance to to excel and Corbin knows that better than anybody. The alternative is sign a guy who played 14 games last year and has had character issues in the past or leave the roster shorthanded.

Paul Millsap and Jeremy Evans are our small forwards right now. Playing Millsap and Evans primarily at SF opens up minutes for Favors and Kanter to develop at the PF and C positions while Okur and Jefferson hold down the fort. Gordon Hayward (starter) and C.J. Miles (primary reserve) should be getting all of the minutes at shooting guard. Alec Burks should get all of the minutes behind the two primary players at the wing positions. This is why I don't want the Jazz to sign Josh Howard. He would just clog things up further.

Do you really want to see Millsap and Evans chasing Durant around? That wouldn't be pretty.

Do you really want to see Millsap and Evans chasing Durant around? That wouldn't be pretty.
Durant is fast for his size, he is not fast for his position. He beats people because of his length and his ability to shoot (which opens up the lane because people have to play him close).

The idea of Evans guarding Durant sounds great to me, offensive problems notwithstanding.