What's new

Corbin reveals his reasons for leaving Al Jefferson in on the final defensive possession last night

This post makes me think that the Corbin apologists on this board are just trolling the rest of us. There's grasping for straws and then there's this, holy ****.
Someone made a post on the first page saying how he should have taken Foye, Jefferson, Tinsley out ... ... you can't do that

One sub = Favors for Jefferson and then back again.
He subbed out Tinsley if I remember right, too slow for Paul or crawford.

I'm not going to argue whether that is the right move or not.

If you're correct then your criticism at least has a foundation, even though it's wrong. The Jazz are much better in transition and had good success with it toward this point in the game (i.e. the Hayward play). I would have preferred that and Al Jefferson backup than calling a timeout and hoping the guys can score after allowing the Clippers to get 100% set on defense. That's the old Sloan philosophy & I agree with it in some instances. This was one of them as the Jazz just don't have the players to run a short clock offense with any success.

We all knew the Clippers would hold for the final shot and we all knew they would put Big Al in the pick and roll. Are you honestly trying to tell me that the benefits of having Favors guard the pick and roll over Jefferson are outweighed by the benefits of having Al Jefferson (super slow player) on a fast-break with in all likelihood virtually no time left?

If you're correct then your criticism at least has a foundation, even though it's wrong. The Jazz are much better in transition and had good success with it toward this point in the game (i.e. the Hayward play). I would have preferred that and Al Jefferson backup than calling a timeout and hoping the guys can score after allowing the Clippers to get 100% set on defense. That's the old Sloan philosophy & I agree with it in some instances. This was one of them as the Jazz just don't have the players to run a short clock offense with any success.

The 20 second rule is washed out under the 2 minute mark though.

The game was tied and the Clippers were going to take the last shot. Before Jefferson can save the day on the offensive end, two things must happen: 1) Clippers have to miss the shot and 2) Jazz have to get the rebound. Please explain to the world the benifit in having Jefferson in the game over Favors or Kanter given that situation?

The game was tied and the Clippers were going to take the last shot. Before Jefferson can save the day on the offensive end, two things must happen: 1) Clippers have to miss the shot and 2) Jazz have to get the rebound. Please explain to the world the benifit in having Jefferson in the game over Favors or Kanter given that situation?

The Clippers would also have to miss the shot with enough time left for Al Jefferson to get down the court fast enough to be effective in a fast break. When you factor in that Al Jefferson has never been good at getting the ball and scoring quickly with it, franklin's argument just completely collapses.

The game was a pretty close mirror of the one back on Dec 3. I suggest any doubters of Corbin's ineptitude rewatch it. The Clippers ran the pick and roll on Jefferson with near 100% success (score or foul) in that game down the stretch, and you had to expect they would exploit him again. Corbin just does not learn from mistakes.

Only dumbasses rationalize why Jefferson was kept in the game on a defensive possession. Pops and Thibs would never do something like that. Ever. Well, unless it's a teaching moment. Something Corbin knows nothing about. He's done nothing with a talented roster. Lowe brings nothing to the table. And Horny proved he's pretty much worthless to this point.

Well, Jefferson does have a better 3-PT% than Burks, Watson, Favors or Kanter. It's clear Ty, expecting the Clips would guard everyone BUT Jefferson, had a secret play drawn up for the Jazz to quickly pass the ball up court without calling a timeout and for Al to make the game-winning shot. Foye messed it up.

We all knew the Clippers would hold for the final shot and we all knew they would put Big Al in the pick and roll. Are you honestly trying to tell me that the benefits of having Favors guard the pick and roll over Jefferson are outweighed by the benefits of having Al Jefferson (super slow player) on a fast-break with in all likelihood virtually no time left?

That's a good point. On the other hand, Clippers were playing back-to-back, 4 games in six nights, and had just played the late game the night before and then flew all the way from Boston to SLC. The players were obviously tired and not ready for OT. 4 players in foul trouble. Risking all that time for a bad end of regulation shot could have easily meant overtime for tired legs & resulting injury risk.

Of course, it's possible Corbin forgot about having this possible second timeout and completely screwed the pooch.

Then quote him specifically, don't say "You guys". That's so far beyond the point of this topic.

Well yes sir!

That's a good point. On the other hand, Clippers were playing back-to-back, 4 games in six nights, and had just played the late game the night before and then flew all the way from Boston to SLC. The players were obviously tired and not ready for OT. 4 players in foul trouble. Risking all that time for a bad end of regulation shot could have easily meant overtime for tired legs & resulting injury risk.

Of course, it's possible Corbin forgot about having this possible second timeout and completely screwed the pooch.

Well yes sir!

The Celtics game was in L.A., not Boston dumbass.

Hahahaha.

I know you're trolling now, but I have to give you credit for creativity. It's been awhile since I've seen somebody reach that far to keep an argument alive.

I changed my mind. The Norm's detailed responses have convinced me he is 100% correct on this.

Most troubling is this is the third time Corbin has refused to play Favors on defense in crunch time.

Thanks Norm!
cheers-norm.jpg

Corbin has reasons, that's good. Well, this is a competition and bad reasons may result in losses.

So, what was the reason of playing BigAl vs the Warriors? BigAl admitted himself that it was just an off night.

So much LoL.

I'm never for tanking. I fully supported last year's playoff push. But, I'm now hoping things get ugly just so this NEVER-FIRE, LONG CONNING organization realizes that everybody sees the cards they are holding.

Corbin is problem #1
I'm still not for tanking, but my thinking is if we go on a long losing streak with Al and Sap as the starting bigs, and we miss the playoffs, the jazz might finally decide to trade Al or expire, and put Sap on the bench where he belongs. At this point I can no longer endure sap and al in the starting lineup. I'm so ready for the Favors, Kanter era to start, with Hayward back as a starter.

I'm still not for tanking, but my thinking is if we go on a long losing streak with Al and Sap as the starting bigs, and we miss the playoffs, the jazz might finally decide to trade Al or expire, and put Sap on the bench where he belongs. At this point I can no longer endure sap and al in the starting lineup. I'm so ready for the Favors, Kanter era to start, with Hayward back as a starter.

Sap said he didn't want to come off the bench, so that may not be an option.

I do not the Jazz to win another game that Sap and Jefferson start. Until they are off the team or on the bench and Corbin gone, I am 100% anti-Jazz.

That is it for me with Tyrone Corbin. I have questioned him from the start but have tried to keep an open mind. But that strategy, and to divulge that strategy openly, is unacceptably bad decision making. Tie game and you worry more about what you are going to do if you get the ball back instead of trying to counter their obvious ploy to go ahead? WTF?

Job 1: stop them, stop them, stop them, stop them.

Job 2: See Job 1, because for the moment, there is no job 2. You don't know if you get the ball back, what the time left is if you get the ball back, what the situation and score is if you get the ball back. You are already thinking about what shot to get Big Al when you know none of the above? What if they make a 3? Still gonna get it to BA? What if there is 1 second left, gonna get it to BA?

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Corbin is as stubborn as Sloan; he wants his starters who can SCORE on the floor down the stretch, rather than his best defenders. With each passing game, that's becoming more and more clear... Not good. They TALK about defense, but unlike coaches like the Raptors' Dwayne Casey and the Bucks' Scott Skiles, they don't play the guys putting out the best effort on defense. Nor will Corbin mess with a starters' minutes, even when the b/u's are playing much better than the starters. Very disappointing.
A good example of D: With Andrias Bargnani, the Raptors prized scorer who plays little D, in the starting lineup, the Raptors were 4-19; since his injury, they are 7-1... On the Bucks, lazy D in practice or the prior game will get you a seat on the bench from Scott Skiles, regardless of who it is...

That has always seemed to be Jazz problem even with Malone and Stockton playing.
They would never seem to have enough scorers on the floor to win the big games when they needed to.
Corbin may still believe that.
The great teams always seemed to have a clutch scorer who could win a game at end.
Jordan, Olajuwon, Bryant, etc.
Malone and Stockton could be stopped from getting the big basket at times.
Jazz are still like that.