What's new

Cotton Making Life Difficult for Trey Burke

Red

Lindsey has already gone on record as saying the Jazz could "absolutely" carry 4 PG's on the roster to start the year.....

https://m.axs.com/news/utah-jazz-guard-bryce-cotton-making-life-difficult-for-trey-burke-goin-60716

Trey Burke has every reason to worry now. The Utah Jazz guard thought he met his match when the team finally signed Brazilian guard Raul Neto to a multi-year contract recently after two years of courting the dude.

Neto has been a thorn in Burke's side for two consecutive summers, throwing no-look bounce passes into teammates while looking like the second coming of John Stockton. Meanwhile, Burke has been sitting the bench those same summers, watching the Brazilian rip in passes that look effortless.

Neither look is something Burke likes, because let's face it--he hasn't played at anywhere near the player he was as the college player of the year at Michigan. Burke's past two summers have been average at best, his first two seasons in league play decidedly so. And so now he has even more company at the point guard position: Bryce Cotton.

Arguably the hardest working player on the Jazz, Cotton has literally sweated and willed himself into a spot on the team. Granted, the Providence product doesn't have a guaranteed contract, but if Cotton keeps putting up numbers like the ones he produced at NBA Summer League, Neto won't be the only new problem Burke has on the team.

“I think we definitely ended on a good note, and this game definitely showed a testament to our character," said Cotton after the Jazz finished 3-0 in their first summer league of the summer season. "We're definitely a team with nobody who's selfish, so I think the chemistry is what's helping.”

Cotton dropped 20 on Philadelphia to close out an unbeaten run in Salt Lake City and strike up the conversation, and orate the whispers about Burke going somewhere even louder than before. Cotton shot 6-for-14 from the field against the 76ers, scoring 12 of his 20 in the final quarter and overtime--both pivotal moments during which he shined for the home team.

For the Jazz Summer League week, Cotton averaged a shade over 14 points per game. Looking back on what Burke did in his two summers for the Jazz, yeah. No comparison here. Cotton clearly has the edge in potential--in particular when comparing the two points wise and also in their vertical jump.

Which brings us to our next potential dilemma. If the Jazz sign Cotton, they will have four point guards on the roster. At the moment they have three with Burke, Neto and of course, Dante Exum. But with Cotton potentially on the roster, you have to think Burke becomes a liability, an asset.

It's a piece with which the Jazz could deal with pride and prejudice--especially considering what Burke did--to another team and let them handle the kid who can't keep his D in his pants and off of Twitter and who can't make proper decisions on or off the court.

All of the afore-mentioned issues clearly spell out the need to get rid of Burke and bring on someone like Cotton who can provide things that are just as valuable coming off the bench as anything the higher priced Burke has ever provided.

Would be stupid to not keep cotton around while we sort out the Burke issue. Burke is just not needed anymore. Thanks for this gem DL.

As a Cotton homer, and NOT a Utah Jazz fan, I would really like to see Cotton move to another team. Clearly, Exum is your guy and I believe/know Cotton can be a starter/ significant minutes back-up. With 5 PG's in contention there are plenty of other teams out there that don't have a starting PG none the less a back-up PG.

As a Cotton homer, and NOT a Utah Jazz fan, I would really like to see Cotton move to another team. Clearly, Exum is your guy and I believe/know Cotton can be a starter/ significant minutes back-up. With 5 PG's in contention there are plenty of other teams out there that don't have a starting PG none the less a back-up PG.

Well, you know I'm a Cotton homer as well. Un guaranteed contracts. Those guys are all auditioning in Vegas. If he doesn't make the final Jazz roster, and continues to play as well as he has, no problem, he has proven he can play at this level, and he will play in this League. Although I'll follow his career start to wherever the finish line is, I think he can emerge as a fan favorite in Utah, and get significant minutes for certain. And I would really like to see him grow as a player under the guidance of Quin Snyder. Just my opinion, but I don't think he could ask for a better coach to help him develop and utilize his strengths. Also, just my opinion, but I suspect the Jazz FO are thinking along the lines of Cotton can do as well or better then TB for somewhat better $$. If they can't get value for Burke as yet, they may carry. 4 PG's until they can get such value.

All that said, I do understand your sentiment. I've been to Utah a few times in my life, really like that neck of the woods, easier for me to adopt the Jazz as a team I can root for. And I really like the youthful togetherness of the guys on this team. So, all in all, I hope he makes the Jazz roster. But, at this point, he'll be signed by someone. Holding onto him through to training camp might hurt him if he isn't going to make it with the Jazz. But, my gut feeling is he will be on this roster to start next season.

Cotton's been making a point to facilitate the offense and has still managed to put up solid #'s. The Jazz would be foolish to cut a player of his quality. Regardless of position, He's a bargain. At this point it'd be crazy to say Shane Larkin is discernibly better than Based Cotton.

He can push the pace, he can shoot, he's shifty and is at-least serviceable running point. That's more than enough to retain him considering his age(younger than rookie Delon Wright) and deal.

Cotton's probably clutch too, anyone who saw him shut down the big east tournament knows he's not afraid to take the big shot. For those who don't recall, Providence had no chance to make the NCAA tournament unless they snatched the automatic bid by winning the Big East tournament, and they did, with Bryce carrying them every step of the way....

Many teams around the league would be looking at Bryce if he were cut. The other 'fringe' players the Jazz have cannot make that claim, they're still 10-day contract status.

It's a good thing that Cotton has more confidence in his abilities than you do. Despite the fact that the Jazz will likely have four players at PG to start the season, none of them have secured the backup PG position. I hope you're right that Cotton deserves to be a starter, but nobody is going to hand him that job. If he is not fighting for it here he will have to fight for it somewhere else. Your grass is greener brand of thinking is a recipe for disappointment and failure.

PG_AB, best moment in that game was when Bryce leapt through the roof of the joint to steal a pass! Shades of things to come. I do wonder if he would have been drafted in the second round had the Friars made a deep run, and if he had continued to play like that.

It's a good thing that Cotton has more confidence in his abilities than you do. Despite the fact that the Jazz will likely have four players at PG to start the season, none of them have secured the backup PG position. I hope you're right that Cotton deserves to be a starter, but nobody is going to hand him that job. If he is not fighting for it here he will have to fight for it somewhere else. Your grass is greener brand of thinking is a recipe for disappointment and failure.

Joe, posters can speak for themselves of course, but I just want to say it's only natural for Friar fans to want the best for the guy. Because of the type of person he is, I mean the man exudes "class act" and "humble by nature". That, combined with his history of being overlooked, make him a story we Friar fans can't resist. I have followed our players, as well as those from the University of RI for many years. I've said it before. I've never rooted harder for anyone more then Bryce Cotton. It's not even close. From Lenny Wilkens on down, I've never pulled for anyone from my home team more then Cotton.

I don't know if he could survive as a starter, though. I might disagree with my fellow Cotton homer on that score.

Hard not to like Cotton. However, he's more of an instant offense guy off the bench than a PG. And, IMO, that's okay. It's a good change of pace from Exum and I'm thinking he could fill that role better the than Burke.

Lindsey has already gone on record as saying the Jazz could "absolutely" carry 4 PG's on the roster to start the year.....

https://m.axs.com/news/utah-jazz-guard-bryce-cotton-making-life-difficult-for-trey-burke-goin-60716

Trey Burke has every reason to worry now. The Utah Jazz guard thought he met his match when the team finally signed Brazilian guard Raul Neto to a multi-year contract recently after two years of courting the dude.

Neto has been a thorn in Burke's side for two consecutive summers, throwing no-look bounce passes into teammates while looking like the second coming of John Stockton. Meanwhile, Burke has been sitting the bench those same summers, watching the Brazilian rip in passes that look effortless.

Neither look is something Burke likes, because let's face it--he hasn't played at anywhere near the player he was as the college player of the year at Michigan. Burke's past two summers have been average at best, his first two seasons in league play decidedly so. And so now he has even more company at the point guard position: Bryce Cotton.

Arguably the hardest working player on the Jazz, Cotton has literally sweated and willed himself into a spot on the team. Granted, the Providence product doesn't have a guaranteed contract, but if Cotton keeps putting up numbers like the ones he produced at NBA Summer League, Neto won't be the only new problem Burke has on the team.

“I think we definitely ended on a good note, and this game definitely showed a testament to our character," said Cotton after the Jazz finished 3-0 in their first summer league of the summer season. "We're definitely a team with nobody who's selfish, so I think the chemistry is what's helping.”

Cotton dropped 20 on Philadelphia to close out an unbeaten run in Salt Lake City and strike up the conversation, and orate the whispers about Burke going somewhere even louder than before. Cotton shot 6-for-14 from the field against the 76ers, scoring 12 of his 20 in the final quarter and overtime--both pivotal moments during which he shined for the home team.

For the Jazz Summer League week, Cotton averaged a shade over 14 points per game. Looking back on what Burke did in his two summers for the Jazz, yeah. No comparison here. Cotton clearly has the edge in potential--in particular when comparing the two points wise and also in their vertical jump.

Which brings us to our next potential dilemma. If the Jazz sign Cotton, they will have four point guards on the roster. At the moment they have three with Burke, Neto and of course, Dante Exum. But with Cotton potentially on the roster, you have to think Burke becomes a liability, an asset.

It's a piece with which the Jazz could deal with pride and prejudice--especially considering what Burke did--to another team and let them handle the kid who can't keep his D in his pants and off of Twitter and who can't make proper decisions on or off the court.

All of the afore-mentioned issues clearly spell out the need to get rid of Burke and bring on someone like Cotton who can provide things that are just as valuable coming off the bench as anything the higher priced Burke has ever provided.

Oh really ? I guess you like Neto's jump shot too ? We better hope and pray he isn't a bust like that Raul Lopez And stop with the Stockton comparisons ... Please don't offend a legend!

As of right now, no way should Cotton be cut from the Jazz. Other nba teams would be all over him instantly. He's shown that he can really play and has run the team very well when he was on the court. If the Jazz do decide to let him go, at least trade him for future assets or a for player that could be a need for the team.

Cotton's been making a point to facilitate the offense and has still managed to put up solid #'s. The Jazz would be foolish to cut a player of his quality. Regardless of position, He's a bargain. At this point it'd be crazy to say Shane Larkin is discernibly better than Based Cotton.

He can push the pace, he can shoot, he's shifty and is at-least serviceable running point. That's more than enough to retain him considering his age(younger than rookie Delon Wright) and deal.

Cotton's probably clutch too, anyone who saw him shut down the big east tournament knows he's not afraid to take the big shot. For those who don't recall, Providence had no chance to make the NCAA tournament unless they snatched the automatic bid by winning the Big East tournament, and they did, with Bryce carrying them every step of the way....

Many teams around the league would be looking at Bryce if he were cut. The other 'fringe' players the Jazz have cannot make that claim, they're still 10-day contract status.
Great post. At this point I'd rather the Jazz cut all of the following before Cotton: Burke, Millsap, Cooley, Chris Johnson, Jerrett. I'd Keep Cotton over all 5 of those players. I don't think the Jazz will cut Millsap or Burke for nothing but I see more NBA potential and skill for Cotton than any of those other 5 guys.

This guy is so much worser than the Arroyo and Kanter fans.

Well, you know I'm a Cotton homer as well. Un guaranteed contracts. Those guys are all auditioning in Vegas. If he doesn't make the final Jazz roster, and continues to play as well as he has, no problem, he has proven he can play at this level, and he will play in this League. Although I'll follow his career start to wherever the finish line is, I think he can emerge as a fan favorite in Utah, and get significant minutes for certain. And I would really like to see him grow as a player under the guidance of Quin Snyder. Just my opinion, but I don't think he could ask for a better coach to help him develop and utilize his strengths. Also, just my opinion, but I suspect the Jazz FO are thinking along the lines of Cotton can do as well or better then TB for somewhat better $$. If they can't get value for Burke as yet, they may carry. 4 PG's until they can get such value.

All that said, I do understand your sentiment. I've been to Utah a few times in my life, really like that neck of the woods, easier for me to adopt the Jazz as a team I can root for. And I really like the youthful togetherness of the guys on this team. So, all in all, I hope he makes the Jazz roster. But, at this point, he'll be signed by someone. Holding onto him through to training camp might hurt him if he isn't going to make it with the Jazz. But, my gut feeling is he will be on this roster to start next season.

You are on of the best player fans we can have on this board ever. I wish more can be like you. Serious!

Let's simplify this so we can cut out all the hand-wringing and debating: Cotton is making this team and will be playing meaningful minutes for the Jazz. The odd man out is Burke, we already know this. As soon as there's a a chance to rid ourselves of him, it's gonna happen.

If you're a Cotton fan and you worry about his minutes on the Jazz, fret not. Kids gonna get a chance.

Stupid article with factual errors. Neto has been throwing no look passes into teammates for two years? Ummm, Neto didn't play summer league last season. Year before he played a few games and had 4 assists a couple of times. Trey had two games with 5 assists.

As much as I hate Trey's game, I'm really not sure Neto is a better PG. He sure hasn't shown it in Europe where his shooting has been every bit as bad as Trey's. The ONLY argument you can make right now is Neto doesn't insist on beign ball-dominant and shooting 13 shots/per game, even when he's cold (which is pretty much always).

To those who think Cotton/Neto wouldn't be a good backup situation behind Exum, I'd say Burke/Neto isn't a significant upgrade. Jazz should look to trade Trey now for a future draft pick.

Instead, I think Utah will keep Trey, Cotton and Cooley and cut Johnson. That's a shame because I think C. Johnson has had a helluva summer league thus far. I'd rate him as our 4th best wing ahead of Ingles and Millsap. He's quick and it appears he's really worked on his shooting.

I should shut up, but ya know what? I'm gonna allay your fears altogether.

All he has to do is make this roster. Think about it. He's on a team where 12,000 fans attend a SL game. And the veterans players are on the sidelines. They are hungry for a winner, players and fans alike. Can you see what he's walking into? How much ya wanna bet jersey #8 sells big with the kids? He won't be lost at the end of a bench. You don't have to start to excel, and he will be a fan favorite on an up and coming team. At a time when they are hungry to turn the corner and compete. You see him signal the crowd after the dunk Thursday? He will be a fan favorite, and will certainly earn minutes. Just make the roster, and he will take care of all the rest. It's a perfect landing. Just make the roster. He belongs and he's ready to play. We're gonna love it!

Cotton is showing us what happens when one doesn't jackpot around making fun of special needs people. I look forward to seeing how much he improves. Having four PGs almost certainly means one is traded sometime during the season.

@Red
I really don't see a scenario in which Cotton DOESN'T make the roster. Well, a trade for some great veteran, I suppose. Right now, I think it comes down to C. Johnson vs. Millsap for the final roster spot. Jazz will cut Jerrett and eat the guaranteed portion of his salary in order to keep Cooley.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Jazz trade Burke during training camp. They probably want to see how Neto is going to fit in with the veterans and if his skill set can replace Trey's. I like what Cotton brings to the table. He's an exciting player.