What's new

Crowd Sourcing JF: AR-15

franklin

Preface: I'm pretty sure that AR-15's are going to be banned sometime in my lifetime. As a pro-gun advocate, I'm fine with this as I see them primarily as an offensive weapon as opposed to defensive (the military does as well as far as I can tell). Needless to say, I don't think offensive weapons like tanks and grenade launchers qualify under the right to keep and bear arms in this day and age.

For about 5 years now I've been wanting to speculate in a purchase of about $10,000 in guns, parts and bullets but have not been able to pull the trigger. Waiting 10 years to triple my money is one thing, but waiting 30 years would mean a loss.

What are your guesses for when they will become outlawed, if ever?

I don't think they will be banned. There is nothing particular about an AR-15 that sets it apart from any other semi-auto rifle in a fundamental way.

Besides that, they learned from the AWB not to grandfather in sales of banned items if they were manufactured before the ban. So you will not be able to sell them legally if they do get banned, at least that would be my guess.

They will be banned after the robot uprising of 2047. Unfortunately, money will have become obsolete by then, and we will have transitioned to a blowjobs based economy. AR-15 will be worth 62.5 standard blowjobs.

I think CA style restrictions might happen, with bullet buttons and a limit to 10rnd magazines and/or fixed magazines. They might also do silly stuff like restrict flash suppressors and bull pup fore-grips, and the very worst dumb restriction of all, no adjustable stocks. But I think that's as far as it will go.

I mean seriously, if Sandy Hook and the night club shooting and the others that have happened haven't really moved the needle on public opinion, nothing will.

I don't think they will be banned. There is nothing particular about an AR-15 that sets it apart from any other semi-auto rifle in a fundamental way.

Besides that, they learned from the AWB not to grandfather in sales of banned items if they were manufactured before the ban. So you will not be able to sell them legally if they do get banned, at least that would be my guess.

This.

At best they will allow you to sell to someone with an FFL but that will srsly depress the number of buyers. The only thing related that I can think of that might be a good buy is to stock up on .223 ammo. HC could cause another scare. There are enough Ar-15's out there that people might fear the ammo will be taken off the market. If manufacturers fail to keep up with demand like they did for the LR 22 then potentially there is a profit to be made. I wouldn't bother if I were you. Buy what you want to shoot, don't speculate. You're more likely to get burned dealing guns than you are to make out like a bandit. :)

The thing is, I don't actually need a ban to make money. Populist hype is way better than any concrete substance. "Buy the rumor, sell the news".

This.

At best they will allow you to sell to someone with an FFL but that will srsly depress the number of buyers. The only thing related that I can think of that might be a good buy is to stock up on .223 ammo. HC could cause another scare. There are enough Ar-15's out there that people might fear the ammo will be taken off the market. If manufacturers fail to keep up with demand like they did for the LR 22 then potentially there is a profit to be made. I wouldn't bother if I were you. Buy what you want to shoot, don't speculate. You're more likely to get burned dealing guns than you are to make out like a bandit. :)

Bold #1: That's where the majority will go for the reasons you gave.

Bold #2: How can I lose on something like this? I like guns. I love AR-15's. Before shooting an AR, muzzle loaders were my favorite gun with shotguns a close second. Worse case scenario is I gift an AR-15 and 7000 .223 rounds to each of my sons on graduation day. Best case scenario is some movement makes the bullets go back to $1000 per 1000 rounds and the guns to treble again.

Bold #1: That's where the majority will go for the reasons you gave.

Bold #2: How can I lose on something like this? I like guns. I love AR-15's. Before shooting an AR, muzzle loaders were my favorite gun with shotguns a close second. Worse case scenario is I gift an AR-15 and 7000 .223 rounds to each of my sons on graduation day. Best case scenario is some movement makes the bullets go back to $1000 per 1000 rounds and the guns to treble again.

Sure if you can make use of 5 or 6 ar-15s than go for it. I wouldn't be able to. I wouldn't even buy 1 but that's just me. .223 is both too big and too small for me to want a bunch of it.

cache_2427420714.jpg

Sure if you can make use of 5 or 6 ar-15s than go for it. I wouldn't be able to. I wouldn't even buy 1 but that's just me. .223 is both too big and too small for me to want a bunch of it.

cache_2427420714.jpg
Yeah, but it's fun to shoot.

Yeah, but it's fun to shoot.

So is a .22 and a .308 (the other 2 pictured)

I have no desire to own a firearm chambered in .223. Frankly, I don't understand people that do. It seems to me like not being into bicycles or 4x4's but being really into a minivan with rims. Different strokes I guess.

I have no desire to own a firearm chambered in .223. Frankly, I don't understand people that do. It seems to me like not being into bicycles or 4x4's but being really into a minivan with rims. Different strokes I guess.

Think of all the accessories you stick to that mini-van though.

I used to think that as well. And then I shot a .223.

I'm sure glad i don't live in a country where all manner of guns are so easily accessible to mentally ill and other unstable people.

I'm sure glad i don't live in a country where all manner of guns are so easily accessible to mentally ill and other unstable people.

Just looked at your homicide and suicide rates since the reform was passed following the Port Arthur Massacre. Pretty staggeringly in favor of the reform imo. Interesting.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04...-and-suicides-john-howard-port-arthur/7254880

And fwiw peeps, I'm far from anti-gun. I'm pro 2nd amendment. But to think we don't reform and bills passed is silly.

Just looked at your homicide and suicide rates since the reform was passed following the Port Arthur Massacre. Pretty staggeringly in favor of the reform imo. Interesting.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04...-and-suicides-john-howard-port-arthur/7254880

And fwiw peeps, I'm far from anti-gun. I'm pro 2nd amendment. But to think we don't reform and bills passed is silly.

to be specific, i'm referring to the mass shooting scenario ... i've not looked at statistics on single shootings and suicideds but more the chance of a mass shooting where a nutter has loaded up with automatic weapons and bucketloads of ammunition ..

the suicides is an interesting one, i wouldn't necessarily have expected any correlation

to be specific, i'm referring to the mass shooting scenario ... i've not looked at statistics on single shootings and suicideds but more the chance of a mass shooting where a nutter has loaded up with automatic weapons and bucketloads of ammunition ..

the suicides is an interesting one, i wouldn't necessarily have expected any correlation

I doubt suicides went down either. Just ones by gun.

I used to think that as well. And then I shot a .223.

This.

I'm not impressed by a whole lot. I'm not a tech guy. Two things in the last dozen of years have impressed me: AR-15's and 1080p.

I've owned and been in possession of a gun since 12 years old. I don't care to go shooting like a lot of people who pick up the hobby later in life. I got that out of my system as a kid and might put 10 bullets through a barrel per year. If I were to go shooting it would be AR-15, muzzle loader (I like the work involved and the distinct sound), and sometimes shotgun. AR-15's are fun.