What's new

Demarre Carroll talks about Quin Snyder

Great submission! If there is one mistake that DL has made while he's been at the helm, it's getting rid of DMC! I really love this guys attitude towards the fans and his game. Dude has pride.

I wish there were more players like him. He reminds me of the old school bust your *** type of player. The type Sloan always talked about.

Yeah. I understood letting Jefferson, Williams and Millsap walk (even though I was hoping they'd keep Millsap too) but DeMarre Carroll should have been kept. Back then, he was the kind of hustle, energy and glue guy that a young roster can look up to. I'm glad that he elevated his game and ended up a very wealthy man because of it.

Class act. Love the anecdote about Snyder and the dribble, spin, step-back jumper. Exum will be the next guy who will break out under Quin's guidance. Watch and see. The guy knows how to teach and how to help young players build confidence.

Demarre Carroll speaks glowingly of Quin Snyder

From his Players Tribune article:

Kenny Atkinson pushed me to take my game to another level. Darvin Ham shared the tricks he picked up during his long NBA career to help me develop my skills around the basket. And then there was Quin Snyder, who was the first coach who took me under his wing while he was an assistant here.

Earlier this week I agreed to become a member of the Toronto Raptors.
The big difference between regular NBA players and superstars isn’t just talent, but the way they train. Quin and I just kind of clicked right away when I came to the Hawks, and he began working with me to develop skills that I hadn’t really touched before. His belief in me built up my confidence so much.

One thing he taught me during practice was this move where I dribbled between my legs into a spin move and then a step back jumper. It’s the type of shot you mostly see in video games. He told me that I could try the move during a real game, but if he got in trouble for it I’d have to wait until next year to try it again.

After working on it for a while, I felt like it was game-ready, so I gave it a try … and I missed. So next thing I hear is Coach Bud on his feet hollering at Quin, “What the hell are you guys working on during practice?” Quin just sort of shrugged, and told me after the game that the move looked good … I just needed to hit the shot.

Towards the end of the season, it felt right to try the move again and this time I made the shot. Then I heard Coach Bud yell, “Good job, Quin! That’s how you develop a player!” Coach Bud always had a way of coming around if you made a play.

I appreciated Quin because he encouraged me to take risks, and that really meant a lot because no other NBA coach had given me that opportunity.

I’m really going to miss the locker room. It’s a great group in there, and I know they’ll find success for a long time.

Nuts that he spent so much time talking about a coach that wasn't even there for him last year. I'm so glad we have Quin! Anyone miss Corbin??

Link: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/demarre-carroll-raptors-thank-you-atlanta-hawks/

What makes Quinn so great is he sees skills 1, 2, and 3 and project that into spin move, step back jumper. Most guys can't see that potential. Great mind. Hope we don't lose him in a couple of years.

****. Didn't see it. Mods close, merge, or delete!

What makes Quinn so great is he sees skills 1, 2, and 3 and project that into spin move, step back jumper. Most guys can't see that potential. Great mind. Hope we don't lose him in a couple of years.

Makes me wonder what kind of tricks he'll have for Exum. Kid has so much talent and potential. They let him put stuff together and learn fro his mistakes, he should be amazing. Confidence is his biggest issue right now, with conditioning a close second. Improve both those areas, and wow.

Yeah. I understood letting Jefferson, Williams and Millsap walk (even though I was hoping they'd keep Millsap too) but DeMarre Carroll should have been kept.

Yeah i was also bummed that the Jazz didn't keep DMC. But then again, had he stayed I wonder how far he'd regress with Ty as the coach. And how this would impact the current core of players. So overall it was for the best.

Great submission! If there is one mistake that DL has made while he's been at the helm, it's getting rid of DMC! I really love this guys attitude towards the fans and his game. Dude has pride.

if you remember the situation, it was necessary to insure playing time for Hayward, and Alec (who was getting DNP's). Marvin was opting in no matter what, and DL knew we needed to acquire more assets w/ our cap that offseason (as well as get a tank commanding vet like RJ, so we could get a high pick). DMC was awesome, but he came around at the wrong time. Wish we could've kept Millsap too, but keeping those guys would've made us like Denver, or worse (perpetual mediocrity). Also, if we stayed mediocre, it would probably've been a much harder sell persuading the Millers to can Corbin (who they considered a friend) in favor of Snyder.