What's new

Deron Williams' First NBA Game - Mavs/Jazz 2005-06

I agree this may be sometimes true, but I think you stretch the point quite a bit. There are quite a few above average players who take time to develop, as well as a fair number of superstars. Some rookies year ppg:
Steve Nash (3)
Tracey McGrady (7)
Gary Payton (7)
Kobe Bryant (8)
Manu Ginobli (8)
Dirk Nowiski (8)
Scotty Pippin (8)
Also don't forget Stockton only played 18 min a game averaged 5 pts, 5 ast as a rookie (very solid per minute averages but certainly nothing to indicate he'd a future Hall-of-Famer).

I was looking through some other games from 2005-06 and while Deron definitely showcased his ability in Game #1, this was one of the best games he played until Feb/Mar. He had alot of games where he looked slow (certainly much slower than he did in 06-07), out of control and shot the ball poorly. Wasn't seemless for him either, although 3 yrs of college basketball definitely polished his game.

Wow, I know we keep saying we see superstar potential in our new guys... But when you look at this game you really see a superstar in the making. First NBA game he's hitting step back threes with the clock running down, crossing guys up, finishing in the lane over two guys. I just don't see that kind of ability this season from any rookie or sophomore on this team

Deron is a special player. I would disagree with you about not seeing any flashes from our new guys. Burks has done some things that I have not seen from any Jazz men for a long time. Also, Favors and Kanter have shown the flashes but their games need to mature just a little more. Give them time and soon the rest of the league will see what the future looks like in SLC and it will be scary.

Outside of a very few games last year I didn't see the same potential form Hayward. I still believe that he will be a piece just as important as the rest but his importance lies in the ability to spread the defense and create easy shots for his teammates. I am excited to see how this team performs at the end of the season. I hope to see a different team at the end of the season.