What's new

Derrick Favors - Mind of a child?

Witty Username

Anyone else catch the interview this morning with him talking about his Jr. Jazz trip? Good God, is it so hard to ply an answer with a little more insight than what he was doing, question after question? For example, they asked him how Gordon Hayward played for the select team. His response was like "Yeah he did good... he got at it." *silence*

At the end of the interview they assured the listeners that he's just shy, akin to "Andre Miller in college" (wtf?), but to me it seemed, and dare I say, dumb.

It seems like some athletes can be gifted everything but just can't see how important it is to uphold and speak themselves. A basic understanding of what people want to hear, even in simple radio interviews, can go along way toward conditioning the mind which leads to obvious tracks towards success in bettering yourself as a player and reaching a higher grade of basketball intellect. Your heady basketball guys are smart enough, that when they're older, can hone their game to take advantage of one specific basketball skill in order to prolong their career (see: shane battier).

The guys were poking Favors to try to talk a little bit about his trip, but it was painfully obvious he couldn't bother to even remember the towns he had been to. Is three towns in one day a bit much? Does it hurt to do something other than to, what appears to me, stare at a nondescript spot in the wall to pass the time? Stuff like this is concerning to me not just for the sake of Jazz success, but that this society rewards people that don't *use* brains.

endrant

Last edited:
Anyone else catch the interview this morning with him talking about his Jr. Jazz trip? Good God, is it so hard to ply an answer with a little more insight than what he was doing, question after question? For example, they asked him how Gordon Hayward played for the select team. His response was like "Yeah he did good... he got at it." *silence*

At the end of the interview they assured the listeners that he's just shy, akin to "Andre Miller in college" (wtf?), but to me it seemed, and dare I say, dumb.

It seems like some athletes can be gifted everything but just can't see how important it is to uphold and speak themselves. A basic understanding of what people want to hear, even in simple radio interviews, can go along way toward conditioning the mind which leads to obvious tracks towards success in bettering yourself as a player and reaching a higher grade of basketball intellect. Your heady basketball guys are smart enough, that when they're older, can hone their game to take advantage of one specific basketball skill in order to prolong their career (see: shane battier).

The guys were poking Favors to try to talk a little bit about his trip, but it was painfully obvious he couldn't bother to even remember the towns he had been to. Is three towns in one day a bit much? Does it hurt to do something other than to, what appears to me, stare at a nondescript spot in the wall to pass the time? Stuff like this is concerning to me not just for the sake of Jazz success, but that this society rewards people that don't have brains.

endrant

Not to mention nuclear war. I mean the fact that Derrick Favors is dumb doesn't only have ramifications for society as a whole, but could you imagine if he got the launch codes? Ho-ly ****.

I disagree completely. You need to listen to some of locke's interviews with him.

I can hear the answers and speech to know that simply changing the interviewer probably doesn't do a whole lot. I go on to detail how he pretty much skirted the repeated questions about what kind of go-to move he has. Obviously he's not going to say "well, I'm working on the dream shake right now," because there are scouting reports, but there was a fundamental answer the guy just kept missing again and again.

Link me to these interviews and I'll give a listen, but I'll be surprised.

The guys were poking Favors to try to talk a little bit about his trip, but it was painfully obvious he couldn't bother to even remember the towns he had been to. Is three towns in one day a bit much? Does it hurt to do something other than to, what appears to me, stare at a nondescript spot in the wall to pass the time? Stuff like this is concerning to me not just for the sake of Jazz success, but that this society rewards people that don't *use* brains.

endrant

Get laid.

witty sexual comeback

endrant

Karl Malone

Jazz need to go after bigs with high general and basketball IQ and who are well-spoken, like players from Stanford or Ivy Leagues school like Dartmouth.

I don't care if all Favors does is grunt. Can he play great defense, grab 10+ rebounds per game score 14-16 points? Fantastic. And if he can answer interview questions without referring to himself in the third person, well, that's just icing on the cake. :D

Jazz need to go after bigs with high general and basketball IQ and who are well-spoken, like players from Stanford or Ivy Leagues school like Dartmouth.

I don't care if all Favors does is grunt. Can he play great defense, grab 10+ rebounds per game score 14-16 points? Fantastic. And if he can answer interview questions without referring to himself in the third person, well, that's just icing on the cake. :D

That part is just wrong. Somebody on the Jazz needs to step up and fill the role referring to themself in the third person. That would make up for his otherwise unquotable interviews.

Not to mention nuclear war. I mean the fact that Derrick Favors is dumb doesn't only have ramifications for society as a whole, but could you imagine if he got the launch codes? Ho-ly ****.

derrick-favors-hat.jpg

endrant

Here's to hoping that you are a real poster and not someones alt. It brightens my day to imagine that these are someones actual thoughts.

btw, endrant. I'd warn against signing your posts with your real life name. Lotta creeps and weirdos on the internet waiting to exploit any personal info you give out.

exactly. it worked really well with guys like john amaechi, walt palmer and adam keefe. how can you be a decent NBA player if you don't give long lectures in your spare time or have a 1400+ SAT score.

exactly. it worked really well with guys like john amaechi, walt palmer and adam keefe. how can you be a decent NBA player if you don't give long lectures in your spare time or have a 1400+ SAT score.
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Jarron Collins when I said Stanford, but you nailed Walter Palmer. I was wondering if someone would get that reference.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Jarron Collins when I said Stanford, but you nailed Walter Palmer. I was wondering if someone would get that reference.

This reminds me of a couple years ago when the Jazz had a different team captain for each game. I think Gordon Monson wrote a column about it and mentioned Jarron Collins giving some eloquent speech before the team went out onto the floor. Then he referred to Boozer saying "Let's beat those (two words that rhyme with brother truckers)!" on one of his turns.

Actually, nowadays...a 1400 SAT score is considered below average (a perfect score is worth 2400).

Enes Kanter still watches Sponge Bob so I guess he has a mind of child as well? Hayward still plays video games...him too?

That part is just wrong. Somebody on the Jazz needs to step up and fill the role referring to themself in the third person. That would make up for his otherwise unquotable interviews.

Someone on the Jazz needs to start referring to himself in the second person. That would really change the game.