What's new

Derrick Williams or Enes Kanter?

Williams or Kanter

• Williams

Votes: 53 67.1%
  • Kanter

Votes: 26 32.9%

• Total voters
I am just sold on Kanter. Sure he has dominated highschool players and guys his age but shouldn't most every NBA player? Knee concerns for a big guy throw up a bit of a red flag too. Seems like he is all hype. Maybe he will be a stud who knows. I would just do what it took to get Derrick Williams. Guy is a stud. Worst case scenario you end up with a 15 pg scorer at SF for the next 5-10 years.

I would say that is the most likely scenario for Williams. Worst would be he can't even play SF effectively, best would be 2nd option on the team, 20 ppg guy,

A good video that shows Kanters footwork and outside shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5kAZL0Q3ic&feature=player_embedded

Williams is a tweener which relies on his physical qualities in the first place. It may or may not translate well in the NBA. His celing IMO is solid starter but he won't carry an NBA team.
And Kanter can carry an NBA team? I've argued enough that I don't believe Kanter is as special as Chad Ford is saying he is - but we already know Williams has a good inside-outside game and can rebound. I'm not sure he'll be able to guard most SF's, - but I'm also not sure there are alot of SF's who can guard him. I've heard the David West comparisons and I think DWill has more range and is more explosive, but if worst-case he ends up similar to West that's still a pretty good player.

A good video that shows Kanters footwork and outside shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5kAZL0Q3ic&feature=player_embedded

Nice video from a skills standpoint. Once again though, he is by far the biggest and tallest player there, won't be the case in the NBA. Plus these are scrimmages, not real games.

https://espn.go.com/nba/draft

Homepage video is currently a Kanter interview. The thing that worries me about both Williams and Kanter is that they both might be a pf. In 3 different interviews now I've heard Kanter say he wants to be a power forward...

I'm worried that Williams will end up having to be an undersized power forward. So do we want an oversized power forward or an under sized power forward? Thats me being a little pessimistic.

I'm actually super excited at the thought of getting Williams, Kanter or even Knight. My dream would be Williams and that he can come in and be a big dominate sf to team up with Favors and Jefferson. I love kanter too but I just don't want to have that log jam with him Favors and Jefferson.

I really don't like our defense if we get Williams and Jimmer. Harris/Jimmer, Hawyard/Miles, Williams/Hayward, Favors/Millsap, Jefferson/Okur. Favors is really the only good defender in that whole group IMO. Harris could be, if he stays healthy. Hayward will not be able to defend quick 2's and that's a fact. I don't see Williams being that effective against 3's but he definitely has the ability to be a good defender with his athleticism. It's been proven Millsap is a liability on defense. And Al is good 1v1 but not good team defender. The other ones are self explanatory.

Derrick Williams college highlights remind me of Beasley, except he's shorter, just as athletic, just as good a shooter, worse rebounder.

Derrick Williams is a guy who's career probably plateaus at 16-6-3... he's a good third option. But he doesn't have anything that sets him apart. He's not a PF though. I
honestly think Hayward is more marketable at SF.

If Kanter's off the board, then this guy is as good as it gets though.

Kanter is a guy who could just get better and better. He's like Memo meets Marc Gasol... which is really exciting.

And Kanter can carry an NBA team? I've argued enough that I don't believe Kanter is as special as Chad Ford is saying he is - but we already know Williams has a good inside-outside game and can rebound. I'm not sure he'll be able to guard most SF's, - but I'm also not sure there are alot of SF's who can guard him. I've heard the David West comparisons and I think DWill has more range and is more explosive, but if worst-case he ends up similar to West that's still a pretty good player.

I think yes. His ceiling is perennial All Star player IMO if he continues improving his game from where he seems to be right now. I see slim to none bust possibility in Kanter. Worst case scenario for him is 10-10 guy in 30 mins who is able to stretch the floor. Some aspects of his game like foot speed don't look overwhelming for me at this point at all though.
FWIW, I simply don't see that in Williams.

He can rebound in college yes but not in nba while compressed between position 3-4. Please see Enes' rebound stats in his U18 european championship games

If Williams can play the 3 at an All Star level- He needs to be the pick. If he can't, which I don't believe he can, then we should go with Kanter. If has passes his Medical check up I believe we will have an All Star Center on our hands, compared to the undersized powerforward I believe Williams is.

Kanter. If has passes his Medical check up I believe we will have an All Star Center on our hands
Disagree completely.

This could be posturing and as always take everything with a grain of salt - but definitely interesting.
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress
DraftExpress: GM: "I went to watch Enes Kanter work out. I love his skill & toughness. Very concerned about his athleticism. Reminds me of Joe Klein."

Disagree completely.

This could be posturing and as always take everything with a grain of salt - but definitely interesting.
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress

If Zach Randolph can produce like he has for as long as he has with no athleticism, tons of skill, inconsistent toughness, and playing with the wrong attitude, Kanter can be a star in the league.

I just hate, hate, hate, hate, that he won't workout against anyone. Huge red flag.

Have people seen Knight's assists' stats? Far from impressive. I'd even go so far as saying mediocre. Every major stud point guard in the league had better to far better assist numbers as a freshman. Dude according to Jay Bilas may not be a true point guard and his dime numbers support that notion. I want nothing to do with that at 3.

1. Calipari doesn't really teach PGs to play like actual PGs
2. He's an unfinished product (youngest player in the draft)

But yes, if Knight doesn't improve, you probably don't even draft him in the first round. Him improving is what whatever team drafting him will be banking on, and that's usually how it works anyway.

If Zach Randolph can produce like he has for as long as he has with no athleticism, tons of skill, inconsistent toughness, and playing with the wrong attitude, Kanter can be a star in the league.

I just hate, hate, hate, hate, that he won't workout against anyone. Huge red flag.

True, he could. But how many other guys in the league are like Randolph? Not saying its impossible, but Randolph is a pretty unique talent. I agree with the no workout thing. What is he hiding?

The thing with Kanter is...we don't know if Kanter can produce on the court because we haven't seen it, save for 22 minutes at the Nike Hoops Summit. Atleast w/Randolph, not only did he play a full year at MSU but he was the 19th pick in the draft - not the 3rd.

While personally I hate that Kanter won't workout against someone - I understand why he isn't. Heck, he's already a consensus top-5 pick and NBA personel have only seen him play one live game. He sounds like a really intelligent kid and I think it's a pretty shrewd move on his part

The thing with Kanter is...we don't know if Kanter can produce on the court because we haven't seen it, save for 22 minutes at the Nike Hoops Summit. Atleast w/Randolph, not only did he play a full year at MSU but he was the 19th pick in the draft - not the 3rd.

While personally I hate that Kanter won't workout against someone - I understand why he isn't. Heck, he's already a consensus top-5 pick and NBA personel have only seen him play one live game. He sounds like a really intelligent kid and I think it's a pretty shrewd move on his part

I'm sure its bad advice on part of his agent (well maybe bad, it looks like he has a real shot at top 3 pick).

i dont know the details about not working against anyone, whats it all about? can someone explain