Deseret News - Utah governor set to propose $4.9 billion for public education

• Thread starter Lisa Riley Roche
  • Start date
L

Lisa Riley Roche

700414909.0.jpg
Deseret News archives
‘We’ve, in fact, delivered the money,’ Herbert says

SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert announced Tuesday he’s recommending close to $4.9 billion for public education in the upcoming budget, saying he expects the 2020 Legislature to provide “robust” funding for schools even though tax reform slashed a key revenue source.

The governor told more than 100 business and political leaders gathered for the Utah Taxpayers Association’s annual pre-legislative session conference that there are misunderstandings about the tax reform lawmakers passed in a special session last month, including the impact on education.

“We’ve increased education funding dramatically over these last 10 years. When I came into office, we were spending about $2.6 billion on education. What we will be proposing here with the upcoming legislative session is going to be probably close to, the total will be around $4.9 billion,” he said.

Herbert, who is not seeking reelection after more than a decade as governor and will release his final budget recommendations on Wednesday, was quick to add more can be done.

“I’m not saying it’s enough, but we would want to continue that effort, and we will and should. But we’ve been pretty good to education. The results show, and I’ve said this often, it’s not all about the money, it’s some about the money,” he said, adding lawmakers have stepped up to make sure education is funded appropriately.

The tax reform package approved in December reduces incomes taxes that, under the Utah Constitution, must be spent on public and higher education. The package also raised sales taxes on food, gas and some services to adjust what’s seen as a budget imbalance caused by lagging growth in sales tax collections despite budget surpluses.

A referendum effort to repeal the new law is currently underway.

The governor, who had advocated for expanding sales taxes to more services while cutting the 4.85% state sales tax rate in his previous year’s budget recommendations, said what lawmakers ended up with is “not where I thought it was going to be or wanted it to be, but this is a first step.”

A bill last session that would have imposed new sales taxes on a wide range of services was pulled amid opposition from the business community, and a legislative task force was created that came up with the package giving an overall $160 million tax cut annually.

Herbert praised the Legislature’s efforts, saying the task force “spent time to get it right,” holding public hearings throughout the state over the summer before meeting. The work lawmakers did on tax reform, he said, was “not easy. It’s hard to do. But I appreciate the fact we have broadened the base and lowered the rate.”

After his presentation, the governor told the Deseret News that his budget recommendation, coming later than usual because of tax reform, “is going to be a significant, again, increase in funding. ... In this particular instance, we’ve, in fact, delivered the money.”

Herbert pointed out education is getting more money than what was sought by Our Schools Now, a group led by Utah Jazz owner Gail Miller that initially wanted to increase income and sales taxes for schools through a citizens initiative before reaching a compromise for a failed ballot question that would have raised gas taxes.

“Our Schools Now, for example, wanted to have $850 million in a five-year period of time. That was their request. And what we’ve done is a billion dollars in four years,” he said, referring to new money being spent on public education.

“So people should have a good, smiley grin on their face,” the governor told the newspaper. “If you care about education funding, I expect after the rollout of the budget tomorrow, they’ll have even a wide grin.”

Full Story from the Deseret News...

Good find. I wasn't aware of this.

Utah has consistently ranked at the bottom of the nation at education spending and due to high birth rates, has consistently provided the nation with the largest class sizes in the nation. So anything to aid in helping to bring additional funds to the classroom while lowering class sizes is a good thing. I mean, education is a good thing, right? None of us want to live in a dumb society. But I also don't have skin in the game the way others here might. We should ask the posters on this website with children in Utah's public education system what they think?Keep in mind, the incredible education Mecca of the world, Missouri, spends nearly double per child on public education as Utah does. So that tells you where our state legislature's priorities are (we have plenty to offer poor corporations like Micron and Facebook, but never any for public educ).

But like I said, I haven't been following this as much as I used to. I will say this, even with the increases in spending over the past 3 years due to teacher shortages, the actual # of dollars to dedicated to public education (both K-12 and higher) to # of dollars in the state budget has decreased since 1995. Meaning, our effort to fund public education has decreased just as our population skyrocketed (which has led to the massive teacher shortage). The nonpartisan Utah Foundation states:

Over the past twenty years, Utah’s K-12 education funding effort – or the amount spent per $1,000 personal income – has decreased from 7th highest in the nation to 37th.

Furthermore, I think Utah's latest change in taxes right before Christmas, is going to hurt a lot of people. Did you hear about the "tax reform" passed a few weeks ago? The legislature slashed income taxes but then raised sales taxes. I have issues with that.

I can't imagine how this tax cut won't in the end hurt public education by placing the burden of funding it more on local districts that may not have the ability to raise the necessary revenues to meet needs. Jordan School District is a fantastic example of this. They're growing on the west side leaps and bounds. Bluffdale and Herriman have doubled in size in just the last few years. Schools there are exploding. But the tax revenues raised aren't meeting needs and Jordan is now forced to pass bonds nearly every 3 years. In 2012-2014ish, they had a bond fail. That led to failure to build new schools which led to Herriman High being overcrowded by 1,000+ students and building 25+ portable classrooms. Herriman High led the state in student suicides in 2016 with 7 in one school year. I know a lot of factors figure into this, but I'm sure a severely overcrowded and underfunded school is one of them.

Anyway, I think increasing sales taxes is one of the worst thing you can do to people. Especially for those with families and with fixed incomes. My old pops is on a fixed income. Paying more for groceries is going to hit him in the wallet without really any way to increase his own revenue (he's old and retired). But this type of move is predictable. Republicans are the party of the rich. Those high earners in Holladay and Draper don't donate to the legislature for altruistic purposes, right?

What do you think?

Oh and almost forgot. Here's the article on taxes I'm talking about. And here's a good summary:

Educators also watched tax reform closely. This plan cuts the Education Fund dramatically, “transferring” higher education back to the General Fund to “hold harmless” K-12 education — for one year. It gives legislators flexibility to shove higher education back into the Education Fund, freeing sales tax revenue for other projects and limiting desperately needed future K-12 education funding.

You probably haven’t heard the plan being floated by legislators to make up the difference through property tax increases at the local district level. It will primarily harm the poor and those on fixed incomes through higher rents and taxes.

The elephant in the room is increasing food and gas taxes. Cutting the tax on unprepared food was a hard fought victory that took years before coming to fruition. People have to eat, so we buy food regardless of how good or bad the economy is — making this a stable source of tax revenue. I don’t recall the public clamoring to bring back the full sales tax on groceries in tax reform town halls.