What's new

Deseret News - Utah Jazz fans share thoughts about, experiences with Jerry Sloan

R

Ryan McDonald

0523genessy.spt_ja_0051.0.jpg
Utah Jazz fan Nate Salazar brings a tractor and a ball to place an informal memorial outside Vivint Arena in downtown Salt Lake City on Friday, May 22, 2020, after former coach Jerry Sloan died at age 78. | Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — Following the announcement Friday morning that legendary Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan had died at the age of 78, fans expressed a variety of sentiments on Twitter about him.

Some recalled experiences they had meeting him, others reflected on what he and his teams meant to them and there were a number said they want the Jazz to build a statue of him outside Vivint Arena like the organization did for John Stockton and Karl Malone (for the record, the team announced Friday that the Jazz and the Miller family “will be proud to honor him with a permanent tribute.”)

The experiences

A number of fans noted how they met Sloan over the years, and recalled how he treated them.

Like many of you, I also met Jerry Sloan. I mentally prepared myself for expletives and crankiness. Instead, he was warm and said he appreciated my support. He was EXACTLY what I hoped he'd be. Can't wait to let my grandkids play on his statue. #CoachSloan

— Jimbo Slice (@JimboRudding) May 22, 2020

I met Jerry Sloan on a couple of occasions and he always took time to talk and treated you like a good friend. This one hurts. https://t.co/L6P4i8YcrV

— Ryan Reynolds (@ryfish65) May 22, 2020

I only met Coach Sloan one time, during my workout with the jazz, he couldn’t have been nicer and more inspiring. Thank you so much for everything you did for the state of Utah!

— Nicholas Paulos (@N_Paulos31) May 22, 2020
Others share feelings

Whether they ever actually met Sloan or not, some shared their feelings about him given his central role on a team that is such an important part of the community and has been for so long.

To an outsider, it's hard to explain how much the Jazz mean to this state. We truly have a culture of basketball here. We are lucky to have memories of Sloan, Stock & Malone. Seems like we should all cherish that more since Coach didn't have those memories in the end. #TakeNote

— LJ⛳ (@LJoyce11) May 22, 2020

I’m struggling. I feel like I just lost a family member. In a weird way I feel like he helped raise me. Listening to his philosophies on life & people & work during every interview & watching the way we competed literally helped shape who I am.#buildthestatue #ripjerrysloan https://t.co/AYxthWkTWd

— Cameron Stewart (@camstew) May 22, 2020

this is my favorite pic of Jerry Sloan. I grew up on a farm, and didn’t think it was cool until I found out Jerry was a farmer too. pic.twitter.com/z4sXkO1j2f

— Taylor Griffin (@griffdunk) May 22, 2020

Jerry Sloan is a legend’s legend. Feeling lucky we got to watch that level of greatness for so long.

— Spencer Ryan Hall (@spencerhall) May 22, 2020

RIP to a @utahjazz legend. pic.twitter.com/DsBsOlHQBa

— The Jordan Clarkson Appreciator™ (@CowhideGlobe) May 22, 2020

Wearing a John Deere hat for Coach Sloan today.

— Jeff Hansen (@rakoto10) May 22, 2020

Heart breaking to find out this morning. RIP to a legend. https://t.co/v6fQEN47cd

— Matt Exotic (@mattruoho) May 22, 2020

Always loved it when Coach Sloan would get tossed from a game. pic.twitter.com/4g3bsMNvto

— Jake (@bjakesimons) May 22, 2020

Go drive your tractor coach.

— UteDaddy (@utedaddy) May 22, 2020
#BuildTheStatue

While the Jazz immediately indicated they plan on a permanent tribute for Sloan, #BuildTheStatue became popular on Twitter Friday.

"Nothing runs like a Deere"
Tough, authentic and humble.
RIP, Coach Sloan ❤️
#1223 #BuildTheStatue pic.twitter.com/VKyvlmyW83

— Clay Jensen (@ClaySLC) May 22, 2020

RIP Coach Sloan. Thanks for all the memories that made up so much of my life. You will be missed #buildthestatue

— Bryton Benson (@brytonbenson) May 22, 2020

Hearing him at his postgame pressers philosophize on principles of hard work & toughness is something I miss to this day. #RIPJerrySloan #buildthestatue

— Tyson Camp (@wtcamp) May 22, 2020

Rest In Peace to one of the greatest. Thank you for giving the @utahjazz some of the most memorable seasons in history. #RipJerrySloan #BuildTheStatue

— Jenn Atkinson (@jennmckay007) May 22, 2020

#buildthestatue pic.twitter.com/3Uj8rwf2Dx

— Steven Cundick (@bundial) May 22, 2020

A cornerstone of the Utah Jazz identity and culture. Hard work, determination, passion, loyalty. Rip Coach #BuildTheStatue pic.twitter.com/GFut5zSgxe

— Tyler (@TylerRunnels) May 22, 2020

Jerry Sloan's statue should look something like this and it should go right here. #BuildTheStatue pic.twitter.com/LbjJP0YGqQ

— Kris (@5kl) May 22, 2020

Full Story from the Deseret News...