What's new

Deseret News - Watch Utah Jazz guard Mike Conley flash a smile and some fancy moves at NBA restart practice

B

Brandon Judd

Utah Jazz guard Mike Conley (10) smiles before a postgame interview after scoring 29 points as the Utah Jazz defeat the LA Clippers 110-96 in an NBA basketball game at Vivint Arena in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2019.
Utah Jazz guard Mike Conley (10) smiles before a postgame interview after scoring 29 points as the Utah Jazz defeat the LA Clippers 110-96 in an NBA basketball game at Vivint Arena in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2019. | Scott G Winterton, Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — The normally jovial Utah Jazz guard Mike Conley had a big smile on his face and a spring in his step during a recent practice in Orlando as the NBA prepares to restart its 2019-20 season.

The NBA’s official Twitter account shared video of Conley making several fancy moves during a one-minute video as the guard had a bit of fun — from dribbling a pair of basketballs at once to displaying some fancy footwork to drilling some long shots.

@MCONLEY10’s working on some new moves for the @utahjazz for the NBA Restart! #WholeNewGame pic.twitter.com/Ww2ewXBGiM

— NBA (@NBA) July 13, 2020

The Jazz open up the NBA restart when they face the New Orleans Pelicans at 4:30 p.m. MT on July 30 in a game broadcast on TNT.

Former Jazzman Kyle Korver to use ‘Black Lives Matter’ message on back of jersey

Kyle Korver, the former Jazz sharpshooting guard who’s now with the Milwaukee Bucks, explained to ESPN why he will go with the phrase “Black Lives Matter” on the back of his jersey when the NBA season resumes in Orlando.

“I just think that in this moment in time, this is the message. Anything I would ever hope to convey on the back of a jersey is represented in these three words,” Korver told The Undefeated Sunday, with racial issues in the spotlight right now throughout the United States.

Korver has been outspoken in the past on the issue of white privilege, including writing an essay for The Players’ Tribune on the subject last year. In June, Korver expressed his willingness to sit out the NBA restart to keep the focus on racial inequality.

“As a white man, as a white athlete, if my black teammates and friends and brothers feel like the best way to go about real change is to not play, I stand with them. I’m OK with that. If we think that is the best way to change, I care more about change happening than a championship,” Korver told Richard Jefferson at that time during a podcast.

The NBA and National Basketball Players Association came up with several social justice messages that all 350 eligible NBA players would be allowed to put on their jerseys during the league’s games in Orlando.

Per ESPN, those messages include Black Lives Matter, Say Their Names, Vote, I Can’t Breathe, Justice, Peace, Equality, Freedom, Enough, Power to the People, Justice Now, Say Her Name, Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can), Liberation, See Us, Hear Us, Respect Us, Love Us, Listen, Listen to Us, Stand Up, Ally, Anti-Racist, I Am A Man, Speak Up, How Many More, Group Economics, Education Reform, and Mentor.

Full Story from the Deseret News...