What's new

DirecTV Now?? New streaming service for $35. Anyone know if Root will be included?

MoTappin

We "cut the cord" a few years back. We've used SlingTV and liked that, then moved to Sony/Playstation Vue because of some extra channels they had, some of which are no longer in the lineup. But tomorrow, AT&T launches a live streaming service starting at $35/mo, no contract. Initially, those who sign up for that service get the 100+ channel lineup for that price for as long as they keep it. I found a link (the Forbes link below) that indicates even the mid-range lineup includes regional sports channels in some markets. If they have Root, we will ditch Vue and sign up for sure (it's the same price). Plus AT&T wireless customers don't have streaming to devices count toward their data alotment. If Root is on there, this could be a great option for those of us who want to see Jazz games locally without paying a ton of money.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...unch-new-directv-now-service-nov-30/94562088/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markro...d-cutters-have-been-waiting-for/#4363e02630ef

I would definitely do this if they have root

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, unfortunately no Root. :/ The local channel thing is no biggie for us because we are already using an HD antenna for that anyway. However, this offers more channels than we get now for the same money, so we will probably still do it. Hopefully Root gets added at some point.

of course not. these cable companies will always fool us and charge us $$$$ for the stuff we need. *****

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

What I don't understand is DIRECTV is owned by AT&T now, right? And when I watch the Jazz game on ROOT, doesn't the icon change into an ... AT&T icon?!?

I'm guessing ROOT will be on there soon.

We "cut the cord" a few years back. We've used SlingTV and liked that, then moved to Sony/Playstation Vue because of some extra channels they had, some of which are no longer in the lineup. But tomorrow, AT&T launches a live streaming service starting at $35/mo, no contract. Initially, those who sign up for that service get the 100+ channel lineup for that price for as long as they keep it. I found a link (the Forbes link below) that indicates even the mid-range lineup includes regional sports channels in some markets. If they have Root, we will ditch Vue and sign up for sure (it's the same price). Plus AT&T wireless customers don't have streaming to devices count toward their data alotment. If Root is on there, this could be a great option for those of us who want to see Jazz games locally without paying a ton of money.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...unch-new-directv-now-service-nov-30/94562088/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markro...d-cutters-have-been-waiting-for/#4363e02630ef

Just a heads up for cord cutters like yourself. I don't know what your typical internet monthly usage is like or what ISP you use for that matter. Xfinity/Comcast has now implemented(on November 1st) a data cap on internet usage to directly target cord cutters due to their revenue losses for TV subscriptions. The cap is set at 1 TB. If you exceed that 1TB you will be given an additional 50GB for $10 a pop. I point this out because my family currently subscribes to DTV and we use about 300-600 GB monthly. I would strongly advise taking a look at your monthly usage if you are a Xfinity/Comcast internet subscriber and also a cord cutter. They are offering unlimited for $50 on top of what you pay now.

My advice is that if you live in the SLC area to look at other ISP options if they will fit your needs. Up north we don't have those options like Google Fiber. We have crappy DSL and Xfinity/Comcast. Voice your displeasure of their data cap with your wallet.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/348545/comcast-to-expand-1tb-data-cap-rollout

I love how they invoke a "fairness" argument and yet they aren't lowering what is now the price for their customers that do use less data. Total BS.

Just a heads up for cord cutters like yourself. I don't know what your typical internet monthly usage is like or what ISP you use for that matter. Xfinity/Comcast has now implemented(on November 1st) a data cap on internet usage to directly target cord cutters due to their revenue losses for TV subscriptions. The cap is set at 1 TB. If you exceed that 1TB you will be given an additional 50GB for $10 a pop. I point this out because my family currently subscribes to DTV and we use about 300-600 GB monthly. I would strongly advise taking a look at your monthly usage if you are a Xfinity/Comcast internet subscriber and also a cord cutter. They are offering unlimited for $50 on top of what you pay now.

My advice is that if you live in the SLC area to look at other ISP options if they will fit your needs. Up north we don't have those options like Google Fiber. We have crappy DSL and Xfinity/Comcast. Voice your displeasure of their data cap with your wallet.

I love how they invoke a "fairness" argument and yet they aren't lowering what is now the price for their customers that do use less data. Total BS.

My rate when from 145 per month to 168 per month with comcast in november. I get no notice of the rate change and just see my new higher bill when i open my email to pay it. I call them up and they explain that i now have to pay for hd and for my box and a few other things and then they tell me it will go up even more on my next bill.
So my wife calls them to try to find out what deals they have to offer. They say that if we sign a contract then we can get our bill down to 155 per month.
Great ****ing deal. Before we were not on a contract and paying 145 and now we get the great offer of having to be under contract and pay 10 dollars more than we were.

Im so sick of paying so damn much. Gotta do a lot of research and figure out what is the best option to replace cable.

I didn't even know about this. My husband said something about the bill being higher and not knowing why. Thanks for the heads up...we'll look into it! Problem for us is that we both work from home and we cannot be without reliable, fast Internet...which Comcast/Xfinity has been for the 15 or so years we've been with them.

I didn't even know about this. My husband said something about the bill being higher and not knowing why. Thanks for the heads up...we'll look into it! Problem for us is that we both work from home and we cannot be without reliable, fast Internet...which Comcast/Xfinity has been for the 15 or so years we've been with them.

I just looked it up. Last month we only used 386GB of our 1024GB cap. We are on "performance pro" and only paying $80/month. We have had streaming TV service and Netflix, regular work-related Internet use and Apple Music, but don't typically use the TV for most of the day. Thanks for the heads up on the new deal...we will keep an eye on it for sure!

My rate when from 145 per month to 168 per month with comcast in november. I get no notice of the rate change and just see my new higher bill when i open my email to pay it. I call them up and they explain that i now have to pay for hd and for my box and a few other things and then they tell me it will go up even more on my next bill.
So my wife calls them to try to find out what deals they have to offer. They say that if we sign a contract then we can get our bill down to 155 per month.
Great ****ing deal. Before we were not on a contract and paying 145 and now we get the great offer of having to be under contract and pay 10 dollars more than we were.

Im so sick of paying so damn much. Gotta do a lot of research and figure out what is the best option to replace cable.

They're greedy. They see their TV subscriptions dwindling and so they are passing their losses onto their current customers. I don't know your situation but if you felt you and your wife could commit to leaving them(if you aren't currently under contract of course) then calling them and threatening to leave might get your bill down significantly. Then again, if you don't really want to leave and you do that and they call your bluff then you are no better off. If I were in your situation and wanted a TV subscription I would call and threaten to switch to DTV for their 12 month $50 per month new customer offer. I know you live around the SLC area so you should also have some pretty good leverage as far as internet is concerned too. Their explanation to your wife is pure BS. Furthermore, they have the worst customer service as this example proves....

[video=youtube_share;awV9PeX8eEA]https://youtu.be/awV9PeX8eEA

I just looked it up. Last month we only used 386GB of our 1024GB cap. We are on "performance pro" and only paying $80/month. We have had streaming TV service and Netflix, regular work-related Internet use and Apple Music, but don't typically use the TV for most of the day. Thanks for the heads up on the new deal...we will keep an eye on it for sure!

No problem. It's good to know the both of you don't approach the 1 TB threshold. I think there are going to be a lot of angry customers that will find out about this after their bill comes. Initially they wanted to set the cap at 300 GB but there was A LOT of negative feedback and the FCC pretty much threatened them and so they upped it to 1TB. At 300GB, we would both be paying even more. It's ridiculous.

For anyone interested, even without Root we signed up for this (we weren't getting Root with Sling or Vue anyway, so we opted for more / better channels for the same $$). Right now if you pre-pay for 3 months (there is also a 7-day free trial) they send you an AppleTV for nothing extra.

It was kinda buggy at first, then we had some buffering issues for a few days, but they have cleaned it up and it's working great. We had an older AppleTV already, but were very happy to get the new one, and DirecTV Now app runs great on it. The interface is nice and clean, and pretty intuitive with the new AppleTV remote.

As a side note, Papa John's has an app just for the AppleTV. You can order your pizza right from your TV. A match made in heaven, I say. Plus, every order you place with the app gets 25% off. Probably can't use that with the Jazz win discount, but we're gonna try it next time anyway.

For anyone interested, even without Root we signed up for this (we weren't getting Root with Sling or Vue anyway, so we opted for more / better channels for the same $$). Right now if you pre-pay for 3 months (there is also a 7-day free trial) they send you an AppleTV for nothing extra.

It was kinda buggy at first, then we had some buffering issues for a few days, but they have cleaned it up and it's working great. We had an older AppleTV already, but were very happy to get the new one, and DirecTV Now app runs great on it. The interface is nice and clean, and pretty intuitive with the new AppleTV remote.

As a side note, Papa John's has an app just for the AppleTV. You can order your pizza right from your TV. A match made in heaven, I say. Plus, every order you place with the app gets 25% off. Probably can't use that with the Jazz win discount, but we're gonna try it next time anyway.

I need Root and a DVR but nice to hear from a real user. Don't know how you left the Vue and the DVR :)

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

We never use DVR actually. But I think we have 3 days to watch something after it airs, or something like that. I think there are plans to add DVR next year, but definitely not a deal breaker for us. If we miss something we wanted to see there's usually an app for later watching anyway.