You like sushi?

• Yes

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Kentucky will win the Chip this year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've never tried it. I'm game to try anything once, but I haven't wanted to spend the money to try sushi not knowing if I would like it.

In STG?

Well.. if u were.. I'd invite you out for Sushi, Sake, and Kirin... hold the water.

I've never tried it. I'm game to try anything once, but I haven't wanted to spend the money to try sushi not knowing if I would like it.

Most people get into the rolls because they have interesting flavors and there are a lot of less scary options. But if you want to try sushi for the sake of trying it I think Nigiri is the way to go. That's a raw (typically) piece of fish laid across a ball of rice. You pick it up with your hand, dip in soy if you want, then stuff it in your mouth. They usually come with two pieces and are usually between $5-$11 (could be higher at a high-end place).

If you want to try sushi but don't want to eat raw seafood just get something that says tempura. Or, my wife's favorite, a spider roll. It a whole soft shell crab that has been deep fried rolled up into a sushi roll.

I don't know if Japanese restaurants work in the same manner in the U.S., but here in Brazil we have a bunch of All you can eat Japanese Buffet, with Sushi, Sashimi, Tempura, Temaki sushi etc. from about U$20 to U$50.

I usually eat 2-3 times a month on those...

Most people get into the rolls because they have interesting flavors and there are a lot of less scary options. But if you want to try sushi for the sake of trying it I think Nigiri is the way to go. That's a raw (typically) piece of fish laid across a ball of rice. You pick it up with your hand, dip in soy if you want, then stuff it in your mouth. They usually come with two pieces and are usually between $5-$11 (could be higher at a high-end place).

If you want to try sushi but don't want to eat raw seafood just get something that says tempura. Or, my wife's favorite, a spider roll. It a whole soft shell crab that has been deep fried rolled up into a sushi roll.

Nasty, don't start with a spider roll. Eww. In Reno the go-to roll for starters is the Mountain Roll. It has crystal shrimp (basically crispy fried tiny shrimp in a slightly sweet sauce), and usually one or two kinds of raw fish inside, whole thing tempura fried with raw fish, usually salmon or tuna, and avocado along the top, then topped off with a fake crab salad w/ mayonnaise sauce kind of stuff on top, sometimes with sriracha. Well, we always request sriracha. This is good because it isn't overwhelming and it tastes ****ing delicious, good mix of textures and flavors. I mean it. ****ing delicious.

A good first nigiri is salmon with a very thin slice of lemon on top. Helps ease into the texture if that is a turn-off. Can also try seared tuna to ease into raw, as it is at least partially cooked. Initially usually best to avoid things like mackarel, yellowtail, snapper, scallops, unagi (all though anago isn't too bad), as they have generally the strongest flavors and/or weird texture. Good old salmon and tuna are great to get started with. Do not, I mean DO NOT. DO NOT start with sea cucumber or sea squirt. That is a very very acquired taste and will turn you off to sushi real fast. Luckily most places don't serve it.

Nasty, don't start with a spider roll. Eww. In Reno the go-to roll for starters is the Mountain Roll. It has crystal shrimp (basically crispy fried tiny shrimp in a slightly sweet sauce), and usually one or two kinds of raw fish inside, whole thing tempura fried with raw fish, usually salmon or tuna, and avocado along the top, then topped off with a fake crab salad w/ mayonnaise sauce kind of stuff on top, sometimes with sriracha. Well, we always request sriracha. This is good because it isn't overwhelming and it tastes ****ing delicious, good mix of textures and flavors. I mean it. ****ing delicious.

A good first nigiri is salmon with a very thin slice of lemon on top. Helps ease into the texture if that is a turn-off. Can also try seared tuna to ease into raw, as it is at least partially cooked. Initially usually best to avoid things like mackarel, yellowtail, snapper, scallops, unagi (all though anago isn't too bad), as they have generally the strongest flavors and/or weird texture. Good old salmon and tuna are great to get started with. Do not, I mean DO NOT. DO NOT start with sea cucumber or sea squirt. That is a very very acquired taste and will turn you off to sushi real fast. Luckily most places don't serve it.

Not excited to know where that comes from.

Seaman_Coverart.png

Love sushi. And believe it or not, Montana actually gets some dang good sushi. I've traveled a lot, been to San Diego (brother in law is from there) so we know all the local hideaways, and we go to Hawaii and other such places almost every year, and the stuff I've had in Montana is just as good as there.

I'll eat any of it. I actually prefer sushi to any other seafood bc I don't like fish that much. I know, I'm weird.

ar125029108895078.jpg

Pretty trendy, but arguably the best sushi in Salt Lake.

Emphasis on arguably. I haven't been that impressed and I've given it a half dozen chances. I'd you are looking for the trendy sushi place to be seen, and way overcharged, this is it. But If this is what folks in salt lake think is the best sushi they need to get out of the state more. Or just go to sushi yah.