What's new

Dog Attack

I know this is going to sound crass and incredibly disgusting but have you thought about placing the pain pill in the dogs ****? And I'm serious about this...

I know this is going to sound crass and incredibly disgusting but have you thought about placing the pain pill in the dogs ****? And I'm serious about this...
You're right. That is incredibly disgusting.

Whenever I've had to give my labs pills, I pry their jaws open, throw the pill as far down their throat as possible, and forcibly keep their mouth shut until they've swallowed. It has literally taken five minutes with the chocolate one. The golden one will swallow anything I throw at his mouth, so it's not an issue for that retard.

This. Except in her dog's case, do it as gently as possible while, and this may be most important, massaging his throat and the underside of his jaw, which after 10 seconds or so should get him to naturally swallow. I also highly suggest what a few others said about placing the pill inside of something. For us, cheese works best. Trust me, I empathize. We had two dogs and had to put one down last winter (was blind from glaucoma for a couple of years and then got doggy Alzheimer's for which we gave him meds that caused him to be too aggressive and both dogs are already chow mixes so it was ugly) and it was the most heartbreaking experience of my life.

The only other thing I can think of is to do whatever would typically brighten his mood. Buy him a new toy. Have a certain human that he always loved or another doggy who he always was friendly with (but who wouldn't try to get him to play and hurt him) come over to visit. Put the Animal Planet on or a movie with dogs. We decided to spoil our dog one night and watched the movie Bingo which is sort of hysterical if you've never seen it.

Lastly, why is blood still coming out?

I dont think it was ever said in the thread, but what happened? What kind of dog attacked your dog? Was it on a leash? Was it on your property or at a dog park?

Just a quick update:

He's getting better. I just want him to heal completely as soon as possible, but we'll have to take it one day at a time and I'm optimistic. He kept throwing up the water I was giving him that was mixed with the pain killers, so I stopped and now he's able to keep his liquids down. That photo was taken a few days ago. The wound looks much better now and the swelling has gone down. Bites on his head weren't as severe and they're closing up. Still having a hard time getting him to eat, but we're making progress.

fishonjazz: It was my fault. I left the gate open when I went to work that morning.. :/ Don't know what kind of dog it was. A couple walked by and heard the commotion and scared the other dog away. All she said was that it was bigger than my dog.

dog attack.jpg

Reactions: ema
Btw, thanks for all the love. :eek: I told him about you guys and how awesome you all are. (Even you, Troutbum...I know you're reading this) Then he closed his eyes and snored like a little baby.

My dog is getting worse. Gonna get some blood work done and sit down with the family to discuss our options...

My dog is getting worse. Gonna get some blood work done and sit down with the family to discuss our options...

Sorry to hear this. It sucks. We had to put down our 17 year old American Eskimo 2 weeks ago. This dog had been with us since our daughters were just 1 and 2. It was a bad day but it was time. She was deaf, blind and her back legs simply didn't work any longer. She slept all day and had to be carried out to use the bathroom.

Good luck. I hope you find some peace in whatever decision you make.

Having a dog put down is never an easy thing to do but find peace in knowing that your dog is no longer suffering. When I had to put my male Basset Hound down a few years ago, I cried like a baby I'm not afraid to admit. He was my boy before we had kids but I couldn't allow him to suffer.

I am absolutely dreading the day I have to part with one of my dogs. We've had our chocolate lab since before we had kids. He's only 9 right now, so we should have quite a few really good years left. I'm feeling for you Ms. fanatic.