What's new

Done with Locke...

ijazz

I am sure no one cares, but I have been following him almost daily for 8 years or so.

Respect his work ethic and acknowledge he is propaganda employee for Jazz. That's been fine with me.

Last 2 months for obvious reason he keeps spewing his political opinion,

I use Sport as an outlet. I get enough political crap thrown my way with the rest of the media, do not need it in my sports outlets

I respect everyone: Democrats, Republicans, Independents.

For the record, I have no party affiliation. I despise both sides when they do not work together to get stuff done.

I wish I could have voted for "None of the above" like Richard Pryor movie :)

Let's at least keep our sports pure.

I am sure no one cares, but I have been following him almost daily for 8 years or so.

Respect his work ethic and acknowledge he is propaganda employee for Jazz. That's been fine with me.

I use Sport as an outlet. I get enough political crap thrown my way with the rest of the media, do not need it in my sports outlets

For the record, I have no party affiliation. I despise both sides when they do not work together to get stuff done.

Politics overlaps into every aspect of our lives, including sports. While you're free to listen or not listen to Locke, your desire to "keep our sports pure" is a bit naive.

The NBA is a league with probably 80% of so of its workers African American. With a ruling party whose base includes a large contingent of folks who see African Americans as lazy, welfare cheating thugs (referring specifically to the Alt Right, among others), it's probably only going to get worse.

giphy.gif

Glad you brought your politcal views to our sports forum.

Locke is OK. He's a nerd who got a dream job. Not nearly as cool as he assumes he is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you would've said you hated Locke on his game broadcasts for never saying what the god damn score is, and, based on background crowd reaction, typically being 5ish seconds behind real time in his play-by-plays, I would've been fine. Those are legitimate reasons for hating Locke.

This though? lol.

Politics overlaps into every aspect of our lives, including sports. While you're free to listen or not listen to Locke, your desire to "keep our sports pure" is a bit naive.

The NBA is a league with probably 80% of so of its workers African American. With a ruling party whose base includes a large contingent of folks who see African Americans as lazy, welfare cheating thugs (referring specifically to the Alt Right, among others), it's probably only going to get worse.

80% black and part of the 1%. Interesting dichotomy there.

Aren't you doing the same thing now? Complaining in a basketball forum about someone using a sports platform to express his political views. Some people here may also want to be 'isolated' from this kind of debate. Irony.

There are other reasons to dislike Locke. I don't mind that he takes a political stand. People who have access to media do it all the time (musicians, actors, etc). You are welcome to just ignore it or engage in the discussion

The guy is a person, and he is absolutely entitled to having and espousing his own views. Just because you want to pretend that sports is some realm devoid of anything political (it's not, btw), doesn't mean that everyone you choose to follow in the profession has to shelve their own rights to self-expresion on any matter not related to what you want them to speak about. People don't exist purely for your enjoyment, even if they do have careers in entertainment industries.

I find the ads on the Locked on Jazz podcast more annoying than anything.

I'll agree with the OP here. I'd prefer sports journalists to not use their columns, radio segments, podcasts, etc. as a platform for them to express their political thoughts. I think it's good to have an opinion on politics, but these individuals should recognize that it's a very abrasive subject and can be off-putting to a large chunk of their audience.

Now, if there's a true overlap between a political story and a sports topic, fine. But in general I tune into Locke, ESPN, etc. to get my sports fix and frankly would rather not hear about how much so and so hates Obama, Trump, the ACA, etc.

Never really understood the whole "sports and politics can never ever ever mix" argument. I also don't get why people get so heated over politics either so maybe that's my issue. I think the political discourse should be part of every Americans life. And we should be able to talk freely and openly while respecting each others point of view.

I'm not sure advocating for "a time and place" for political discourse is entirely prudent. The notion seems too pat, and bullish for me, especially in the context of social media or podcasting. Equipped with an appropriate amount of gravitas and a willingness to pay homage to the truth, I think its important and necessary.

Must be nice to just decide that the most dangerous emperor in history is a trivial matter.

Must have been real hard for you to learn that the NBA contacted the State Department to express its grievance about the immigration executive order signed this weekend.

It's fine for one to live life in compartments and bubbles, just don't expect everyone else to join you inside.

Must have been real hard for you to learn that the NBA contacted the State Department to express its grievance about the immigration executive order signed this weekend.

and every single sporting event these days where we're asked to celebrate a military person as their credentials are listed in overly broad terms or in a jargon that few understand but most clap for. No politics there. Nope.