What's new

Donovan Mitchell Hype: DM secures shoe deal with Adidas

this can't be real... fake news... everyone knows you can't get endorsement deals in Utah.

But for real... congrats... isn't Dame with Addidas too? Just sayin.

I'm not really up on this, but I think Mitchell wears Dame's shoes right now. Turned out pretty well for him. Dude is wicked savvy.

That's pretty nice! Well.. I gotta say, this is the first time the Jazz drafted a flashy player that likes to excite the crowd and entertain. I think he do very well during the rookie game and all star games if it come to that. When I saw and met Mitchell I could immediately tell he likes fashion. I could've sworn he was wearing an addias pants as well, with the Adidas logo on it.

That's pretty nice! Well.. I gotta say, this is the first time the Jazz drafted a flashy player that likes to excite the crowd and entertain. I think he do very well during the rookie game and all star games if it come to that. When I saw and met Mitchell I could immediately tell he likes fashion. I could've sworn an addias pants as well, with the addias logo on it.

With how polished his PR game is, I can't help but think this wasn't an accident. Dude was fishing for Adidas.

[TWEET]884806867611820032[/TWEET]
Well, that was quick:

https://twitter.com/NickDePaula/status/884806867611820032?s=09

How many late lottery dudes out there getting shoe contracts before they play their first real NBA game?

Everyone....

There isnt an incoming player who doesnt have a shoe deal. If Eric Griffin signs a contract w/ a NBA team, a shoe company is going to sign him too.

There are 3 basic types of deals:

Merchandise deals (free clothes and shoes). Every player in the NBA gets these deals unless they dont want them and want to have brand choice (John Wall is currently one of the only player doing this as he is looking for a signature deal).

Cash deals: Players who actually get paid to wear brands and will get PE (player exclusive colorways). Exum has this because he was super hyped entering the draft. I think he had a PE colorway of the Crazylight 2015's. Companies will sign the big time rookies pre-draft and put incentive structures in that pay more if they land in major media markets.

Signature deals: Few players get these. This is when the company plans to invest a lot of money into you, putting out your own signature shoe. Some players will go to Chinese brands to secure this deals. Klay Thompson has his own signature line with Anta, Dwayne Wade with Li-Ning, Tony Parker with Peak.

I would guess Mitchell got a cash deal because he is a lottery pick and an athletic guard. If he plays well enough he might get his own PE, but he will not get his own signature shoe unless he becomes a super-star, especially in Utah.

That's pretty nice! Well.. I gotta say, this is the first time the Jazz drafted a flashy player that likes to excite the crowd and entertain. I think he do very well during the rookie game and all star games if it come to that. When I saw and met Mitchell I could immediately tell he likes fashion. I could've sworn he was wearing an addias pants as well, with the Adidas logo on it.

Most players sign shoe deals with the companies that represented their college. Shoes companies recruit these dudes in AAU heavily and while at school. It isnt always the case, but most of the time, especially w/ Adidas/Nike schools it is.

For instance, Utah is a UA school and 2/3 of their last 1st round picks have signed w/ UA (Kuzma and Wright). Poetl went with Nike. UA has really increased their college presence over the last few years, but I'm not sure on their success rate in the pros from guys entering from UA schools (besides Utah).

Look at most UK players in the Callipari era. Kentucky is a Nike school and I believe most of their players have gone on to sign Nike deals.

John Wall was an exception as he got a signature deal w/ Adidas but that went south as they sold horribly.

And as it turns out, Louisville is an Adidas school.

Almost everyone gets a shoe deal. This isn't to make his own shoe, but just to wear Adidas shoes, that's all. Nothing to see here.

Everyone....

There isnt an incoming player who doesnt have a shoe deal. If Eric Griffin signs a contract w/ a NBA team, a shoe company is going to sign him too.

There are 3 basic types of deals:

Merchandise deals (free clothes and shoes). Every player in the NBA gets these deals unless they dont want them and want to have brand choice (John Wall is currently one of the only player doing this as he is looking for a signature deal).

Cash deals: Players who actually get paid to wear brands and will get PE (player exclusive colorways). Exum has this because he was super hyped entering the draft. I think he had a PE colorway of the Crazylight 2015's. Companies will sign the big time rookies pre-draft and put incentive structures in that pay more if they land in major media markets.

Signature deals: Few players get these. This is when the company plans to invest a lot of money into you, putting out your own signature shoe. Some players will go to Chinese brands to secure this deals. Klay Thompson has his own signature line with Anta, Dwayne Wade with Li-Ning, Tony Parker with Peak.

I would guess Mitchell got a cash deal because he is a lottery pick and an athletic guard. If he plays well enough he might get his own PE, but he will not get his own signature shoe unless he becomes a super-star, especially in Utah.

I think you overplay market size. Exum got a deal because, at the time, he was the most popular basketball player in Australia. Patty Mills got a deal too, likely for the same reason. A good Chinese player will get a top flight shoe deal. But yeah, getting your own Nike shoe will be a pretty rare thing. Hayward won't get his own shoe by moving to Boston.

I think you overplay market size. Exum got a deal because, at the time, he was the most popular basketball player in Australia. Patty Mills got a deal too, likely for the same reason. A good Chinese player will get a top flight shoe deal. But yeah, getting your own Nike shoe will be a pretty rare thing. Hayward won't get his own shoe by moving to Boston.

Hayward will certainly start getting player editions of shoes. I think Nike started him on this this past year. Hayward use to be an exclusive wearer of Kobe's but he started wearing the Nike Zoom Live halfway through this year. Nike probably does this to promote that shoe, which is more of a budget model (players will get souped up versions of budget model shoes w/ better materials and cushion systems). Now that he is in Boston and has more of a name, I expect him to get his own colorway in the Zoom Lives.

You are also right in that companies probably try to target internationals. UA did the same thing w/ Emmanuel Mudiay when he decided to play in China, giving him a nice deal (same w/ Ferguson going to Australia). Companies like UA like to take bets on these guys and hope they turn out to increase their market share.

The thing is, I'll bet you would sell more shoes with All NBA small market stars than fringe big market all-stars like Hayward or anyone (including Melo) in the Knicks. How many people on this board owned LA Gear Catapults? Small market fans tend to be extreme about these types of things.

I was hoping he'd sign with UA, but this is fine.

I will be buying the shoes if they are remotely good.

The thing is, I'll bet you would sell more shoes with All NBA small market stars than fringe big market all-stars like Hayward or anyone (including Melo) in the Knicks. How many people on this board owned LA Gear Catapults? Small market fans tend to be extreme about these types of things.

Yeah, stars can transcend markets (KD and Lillard for example), but you have to score a ton of points to get noticed in a small market.

Some gut named Jeff Goodman on twitter (has a blue check mark) tweeted that he asked people who impressed them the most in Vegas SL and almost everyone said Tatum.

Mitchell liked it. He's got shades of Gobert. Let it burn and use it to fuel you.

Any way we can convince the entire team to go train at the same place every day till preseason? I want Mitchell in Exum's ear all summer long.

Some gut named Jeff Goodman on twitter (has a blue check mark) tweeted that he asked people who impressed them the most in Vegas SL and almost everyone said Tatum.

Mitchell liked it. He's got shades of Gobert. Let it burn and use it to fuel you.

Any way we can convince the entire team to go train at the same place every day till preseason? I want Mitchell in Exum's ear all summer long.
That must be a huge gut to get a name and a confirmed Twitter handle.