What's new

Donovan, other players considering not playing

So with this and the issue with Rudy is Don gonna end up being another Irving? Hope this pattern don’t keep up.

It would be kind of a bummer to have players sit out, but you can certainly understand their motivation. Whether for the Covid or social reasons it's an opportunity for them to express their concerns and follow their conscience. I think most fans will support the individual decisions which ever way they go.

It would be kind of a bummer to have players sit out, but you can certainly understand their motivation. Whether for the Covid or social reasons it's an opportunity for them to express their concerns and follow their conscience. I think most fans will support the individual decisions which ever they they go.

Sports, just like music, bring people together. They should play. They can even do NBA sponsored infomercials on fighting racism, etc.

If the report were true the NBA ought to have a three week summer league like tourney in Vegas and call it good.

And the reason Donovan is considering not playing......he doesn’t want to risk his max extension, I don’t support this near as much as if he was standing for social justice. He’s getting his money almost no matter what, and there’s plenty of time to get ready for a season, and you’re 23 dude.

And the reason Donovan is considering not playing......he doesn’t want to risk his max extension, I don’t support this near as much as if he was standing for social justice. He’s getting his money almost no matter what, and there’s plenty of time to get ready for a season, and you’re 23 dude.

Dude they’ve had a two month layoff with minimal training no training camp, and Bogdanovic is out putting more on his plate. The risk of major injury is much greater. Be a little fair to the guy, idiot!!

So players get criticized for protecting their assets but the Organizations are full steam ahead regardless of the consequences to their players in order to make money and promote their business. Sorry but I think the league should have cancelled the rest of the season for everyone's sake. So DM goes out and plays and gets a serious injury then all the naysayers are going to pitch in. NBA is a business and players are smart to protect their business. Corporations do what makes them the most money why shouldn't individuals do the same.

So players get criticized for protecting their assets but the Organizations are full steam ahead regardless of the consequences to their players in order to make money and promote their business. Sorry but I think the league should have cancelled the rest of the season for everyone's sake. So DM goes out and plays and gets a serious injury then all the naysayers are going to pitch in. NBA is a business and players are smart to protect their business. Corporations do what makes them the most money why shouldn't individuals do the same.
I disagree. Players are being compensated by those teams, and are under contract. If the team wants you to play, I don't think it's appropriate to sit out because it might jeopardize your next contract. You are under an obligation to play for your CURRENT contract right now. A star player sitting out could cause a decrease in viewership and attendance for the team and league. So the choice to not play negatively impacts fans, the team, the league, and other players. Very selfish move.

The only exception in my mind is if the team and player both agree that it's best to sit out (end of a lost season, early surgery, etc.).

When your work is open, you go do your job. Sorry, I don’t feel bad for him. He has a month and a half to ramp up. The training facility has been open a month and he’s the one who has chosen to be MIA, while literally every other player on the team has been here. He voted last week as our team rep to return the season on the players call. If it were for racial injustice issues, I’d support him, him simply wanting to sit so he doesn’t endanger his max contract due to some injury, no. And if the season is cancelled, the revenue will be damaged for years and that max contract is going to be significantly impacted anyway. I was with him if he sat for justice, this is a very lame reason. There’s always a risk of injury. He’s had 3 months off and as reported by Tony has been working out hard and is ready to play. If the season returns and that’s his reason, sorry he can play. Training facilities been open for a month, and there’s a month and a half before it starts. It’s selfish. If Joe Ingles who has a high risk child has said he will play, not to mention Joe’s older and less athletic, then nah, Donovan can play. If he wanted to sit out to stand up for a noble cause he truly feels strongly about I will support him 110%, but to try and ensure you don’t jeopardize your max contract by doing the job that’s going to yield you that max contract, nah.

Last edited:
I disagree. Players are being compensated by those teams, and are under contract. If the team wants you to play, I don't think it's appropriate to sit out because it might jeopardize your next contract. You are under an obligation to play for your CURRENT contract right now. A star player sitting out could cause a decrease in viewership and attendance for the team and league. So the choice to not play negatively impacts fans, the team, the league, and other players. Very selfish move.

The only exception in my mind is if the team and player both agree that it's best to sit out (end of a lost season, early surgery, etc.).
Under normal situation I would agree but the pandemic is not a normal situation. Close to 120,000 people have died in what 5 months. No one is attending the games but there may be less viewers if certain players do not play. However, there may be more people watching and going to the games with no threat of dying. It does not matter really because DM responded and he said STOP IT! So I guess bleacher report is just spreading rumors because they have nothing else to report.

When your work is open, you go do your job. Sorry, I don’t feel bad for him. He has a month and a half to ramp up. The training facility has been open a month and he’s the one who has chosen to be MIA. He voted last week as our team rep to return the season on the players call. If it were for racial injustice issues, I’d support him, him simply wanting to sit so he doesn’t endanger his max contract due to some injury, no. And if the season is cancelled, the revenue will be damaged for years and that max contract is going to be significantly impacted anyway. I was with him if he sat for justice, this is a very lame reason. There’s always a risk of injury. He’s had 3 months off and as reported by Tony has been working out hard and is ready to play. If the season returns and that’s his reason, sorry he can play. Training facilities been open for a month, and there’s a month and a half before it starts.

The report is all NONSENSE. Donovan responded in his twitter account. I not so worried about the injuries but if a player gets sick and dies, guess who is liable. There are safety laws that have to be followed. Besides being a false report, if the players voted to play then they should play. If they felt intimidated then that is their own fault. When you are part of a union, you get to vote and then everyone goes with the vote even when it doesn't go your way.

If DM doesn't want to endanger his max contract let the two way guys play, the younger players or someone on the Stars roster. They will be chomping at the bit.

Donovan responded “stop it” he didn’t clarify much. Every team had a rep, and they voted unanimously for a return to season a week ago. It’s no ones fault but his own he hasn’t been in the training facility for a month now. Oni, Brantley, JWF, Joe, every guy on the team can including guys who won’t see a minute of playing time can but not the guy ,worried about endangering his max contract due to injury, sorry it’s eye roll worthy. Whether or not he said he was going to sit is one thing, if that’s his top worry, then where you been bro?
You are so all over the board on Donovan it's crazy. Half the time reading your posts is like sniffing his jockstrap. The other half you make it sound as if you have some sort of insight into his darkened soul. Am I getting you confused with another poster, or are you really this all consumingly obsessed with all things Donovan?