What's new

Draft vs. Other Ways of Acquiring Players

sonofthebigdog

Last night I was out having some beer with a couple of friends who are also big Jazz fans. The discussion turned to the acquisition and retention of talent. The question we started to debate based on the George Hill acquistiion a couple of years ago vs. the draft pick. Would the Jazz be better off trading their draft pick for a serviceable veteran and then looking overseas to Europe to fill out the roster. What spurred this was that the possible first pick plays for Read Madrid as does Jaycee Carroll. Also Tibor Pleiss is having a decent year stat wise in Europe 10 points 5 boards in 19 min of PT better than our old friend Ante Tomic. A couple of players of the week in Israel recently were Jordan Hamilton who played for the Jazz briefly and a dude with a name I can't pronounce or spell that went to Pitt with Steven Adams and then played for OKC's DLeague team. It seems there is talent out there vs. picking a Trey Lyles. I realize we got lucky with Spidy.

If we're going that route, why deal with buyouts etc by pulling someone from Europe? Why not just sign a two-way for the 15th spot?

I know this is crazy but Anthony Randolph would be a nice stretch 4 next to Gobert and the crazy thing is he only 28. (Seems like he has been around for ever). He signed a 3 year extension but it has an NBA out. I am not sure what the dollar values are but it is interesting.

JJ Hickson is playing in china but not sure he is the stretch 4 we need

Andrea Bargnani would be interesting but he seemed to always be hurt. Defense sucks

Terrence Williams is fun to watch

Chris Singleton has learned to shoot and he was a good defender. He might be big enough to play some small ball 4

Ji Jainlain might be worth a look

Anthony Bennet any one? ok maybe not

Derrick williams maybe if he can play defense and shoot the 3 consistently

Brandon Davies for the BYU fans

Brandon Davis was one of the names I saw. I can't think of the name of the former BYU player that helped X rehab from his ACL but he was the all time leading scorer at BYU even over the Jimmer and he is somewhere in Europe. I would think some role players like him, Brock Motum, Ekpe, might be preferable to a one and one from Duke or Kentucky for players 9-15.

Some scouts thought Pleiss was a player based on his draft status. Another name saw was Erick Green the guy traded for Gobert. He spent some time with the Jazz as a backup point guard to Trey.

In all honesty, the Jazz got pretty lucky to get Joe Ingles and Royce O’Neale. As much as I love Ekpe Udoh as a person, he’s not really a viable option for playoff minutes.

The Jazz should focus on adding athletic wings, guards and stretch 4 types in training camp, two way contracts and on the Stars. Any and every stone should be turned over. Hope that a guy stands out like O’Neale and Ingles and then lock them up.

There’s no way you fail to use the draft to grow. Especially a team like Utah that has such a great scouting department. The trades for Hill and Rubio represented getting better value for each pick (although they should’ve looked to get a long-term commitment from Hill on an extension before pulling that trigger.)

The Jazz have drafted, signed or traded for 7 international players Gobert (France 2013), Jerebko (Sweden 2017), Sefalosha (Switzerland 2017), Jingles (Australia 2014), Exum (Australia 2014), Rubio (Spain 2017) and Neto (Brazil 2015) - while three more - Udoh (Turkey 2017), O’Neale (Germany/Spain 2017) and Stockton (Croatia/New Zealand 2017) all got significant playing time overseas before coming to Utah.

They’ve also added (and gotten rid of) Pleiss (Germany 2015), Bolomboy (Ukraine 2016) and Diaw (France 2016) in the past three years as well.

Favors, Crowder, Mitchell, Burks and Bradley are the only Jazz players who are American born and have spent their entire career stateside.

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Utah Jazz are going to add an international player or two this offseason from somewhere. No stone left unturned.

The Jazz should focus on adding athletic wings, guards and stretch 4 types in training camp, two way contracts and on the Stars. Any and every stone should be turned over. Hope that a guy stands out like O’Neale and Ingles and then lock them up.

I thought Eric Griffin was that guy. I was really impressed with his play in Summer League. Good rim protector. Quick. Good handles for a big and could shoot the three. What happened to him? Why didn't he work out?

The Jazz have drafted, signed or traded for 7 international players Gobert (France 2013), Jerebko (Sweden 2017), Sefalosha (Switzerland 2017), Jingles (Australia 2014), Exum (Australia 2014), Rubio (Spain 2017) and Neto (Brazil 2015) - while three more - Udoh (Turkey 2017), O’Neale (Germany/Spain 2017) and Stockton (Croatia/New Zealand 2017) all got significant playing time overseas before coming to Utah.

They’ve also added (and gotten rid of) Pleiss (Germany 2015), Bolomboy (Ukraine 2016) and Diaw (France 2016) in the past three years as well.

Favors, Crowder, Mitchell, Burks and Bradley are the only Jazz players who are American born and have spent their entire career stateside.

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Utah Jazz are going to add an international player or two this offseason from somewhere. No stone left unturned.

Not entirely unlikely, but the crux is Donovan. Utah needs another talent to grow along side him within the same time frame. As such, I'm pretty sure Utah is going to look to move up in exchange for assets and grab another player in his mold or trade the Ungs for a young talent as well. Utah has to be smart, but I don't think a stashed player is the route they are going.

Not entirely unlikely, but the crux is Donovan. Utah needs another talent to grow along side him within the same time frame. As such, I'm pretty sure Utah is going to look to move up in exchange for assets and grab another player in his mold or trade the Ungs for a young talent as well. Utah has to be smart, but I don't think a stashed player is the route they are going.
I don’t disagree. I think that the team should be doing everything they can to consolidate assets and maximize them. I’ve advocated trading the three non-guaranteed guys for a player that can contribute in the playoffs.

I’d also like to see them build assets that give them flexibility to make a trade at the deadline this year or next offseason.

I just think that they’ll continue to look everywhere they can to find the next diamond in the rough for Snyder and Co. to develop.

For a small market team like the Jazz, historically our very All Star-caliber talent has been acquired in the draft -- e.g., Mitchell, Gobert, Hayward, etc. So if we're looking for another impact player, we're more likely to find him in the draft than via free agency or trade.

That said, the Jazz have attracted a few free agents and made a few good trades to fill out the roster with starter quality talent.

This may be obvious but I really feel the key is to sign good players for good contracts. These could come from any source. Then you've got a) good pieces for yourself if you want to keep them, and b) tradable assets that you can use to obtain draft picks or other players depending on what you want/need. But the contract is so key for a team like the Jazz. It's the difference between a tradable asset and a millstone around your neck

This draft has good prospect available in the 20's. What Utah really needs to do is build a stable of young, cheap talent so trades might be attractive to other teams. Develop O'Neale, Crowder, this year's pick. Even Dante on a reasonable contract might be an attractive trade chip if he plays well. Right now, I don't think the assets are strong enough (the ones the Jazz would be wiling to part with) to attract a real impact player via trade.

Edit: yup, agree with colton. He made his post while I was writing mine. Similar philosophies.

Royce is a good example. High character and motivated guy. The two Treys really soured me and I realize it was not 100% their fault. What brought the topic up was that Jordan Hamiltion was player of the week or day in the Isreali league a couple of weeks ago. This is the guy that was a former first round pick and was acquired off the waiver wire at the same time as JIngles. There have to be some JIngles accross the pond learning their craft. I want these guys to be 9-15, not your superstars.

Royce is a good example. High character and motivated guy. The two Treys really soured me and I realize it was not 100% their fault. What brought the topic up was that Jordan Hamiltion was player of the week or day in the Isreali league a couple of weeks ago. This is the guy that was a former first round pick and was acquired off the waiver wire at the same time as JIngles. There have to be some JIngles accross the pond learning their craft. I want these guys to be 9-15, not your superstars.
Jingles dont grow on trees

I know this is crazy but Anthony Randolph would be a nice stretch 4 next to Gobert and the crazy thing is he only 28. (Seems like he has been around for ever). He signed a 3 year extension but it has an NBA out. I am not sure what the dollar values are but it is interesting.

JJ Hickson is playing in china but not sure he is the stretch 4 we need

Andrea Bargnani would be interesting but he seemed to always be hurt. Defense sucks

Terrence Williams is fun to watch

Chris Singleton has learned to shoot and he was a good defender. He might be big enough to play some small ball 4

Ji Jainlain might be worth a look

Anthony Bennet any one? ok maybe not

Derrick williams maybe if he can play defense and shoot the 3 consistently

Brandon Davies for the BYU fans
Chis Singleton is the only one on this list that would be interesting.