What's new

Dwyane Wade buys ownership stake in Utah Jazz

D Wade will be invaluable at recruiting FAs starting immediately
Imagine one of the most respected players in NBA and future HOF Jazz owner visiting selected players and talking them into playing for Jazz
He only needs to get one or two to sign to get the ball rolling
Excited to see how this plays out

This is a good acquisition for the Jazz. Certainly Wade could have gone elsewhere, but it looks like a personal relationship with Rick Smith decided the issue.

Donovan Mitchell is happy about it.

D Wade will be invaluable at recruiting FAs starting immediately
Imagine one of the most respected players in NBA and future HOF Jazz owner visiting selected players and talking them into playing for Jazz
He only needs to get one or two to sign to get the ball rolling
Excited to see how this plays out
The problem is the Jazz don't have cap-room. Yeah, Wade might help recruiting, but the Jazz are still going to have to pay more than their competitors to get talent.
*Putting an unreasonable amount of hope (like 1% hope) that Wade somehow gets Lebron to retire in Utah and have the Jazz draft LBJ JR.*

I think the biggest thing is that he will be positive PR for the Jazz. He will make the team look more appealing to the average fan as there will be a voice on TV that is very pro-Jazz. They won't be the butt of the joke as often, which clearly affects guys like Rudy who manifest that into conspiratorial thoughts. He also might help foster economic and sponsorships ties to China as he's one of the biggest China/NBA ambassadors with his Li-Ning deal (view that positively or negatively, up to you).

The problem is the Jazz don't have cap-room. Yeah, Wade might help recruiting, but the Jazz are still going to have to pay more than their competitors to get talent.
*Putting an unreasonable amount of hope (like 1% hope) that Wade somehow gets Lebron to retire in Utah and have the Jazz draft LBJ JR.*

I think the biggest thing is that he will be positive PR for the Jazz. He will make the team look more appealing to the average fan as there will be a voice on TV that is very pro-Jazz. They won't be the butt of the joke as often, which clearly affects guys like Rudy who manifest that into conspiratorial thoughts. He also might help foster economic and sponsorships ties to China as he's one of the biggest China/NBA ambassadors with his Li-Ning deal (view that positively or negatively, up to you).
I think he might have an impact on future bought out veterans who historically have had less than no interest in Utah. And, the cap room issue is isn't a forever problem.

I hadn't thought of the China connection. That will have dwindling appeal to many. U.S/China relations are going to get significantly more messy.

I am still adjusting to the fact that Lebron owns part of my beloved Red Sox. Both of these transaction are weird but hey now I think the Jazz are cooler. Red Sox were always cool. lol.
Lebron has been linked to the Fenway Sports Group (FSG) for quite a while now. They own the Red Sox, Liverpool FC, both stadiums and other sports investments. I'm thinking the official announcement just means Lebron invested more, which got him enough to be recognized as an official partner (owner level) in the ownership group. I guess my point is that it's not new, and it started in 2011. FYI
BBC link