What's new

Eating meat is worse for the environment than oil

It's remarkable isn't it? Cutting beef out of your diet alone is equal to switching to a fully electric vehicle. That blew my mind. Yet, no one talks about it.

....cost of a Big Mac on sale? $2.00!

....cost of a fully electric vehicle? $40,000 dollars!

Although this thread is addressing an "environmental" issue, I ran across this a while back and thought I'd throw it into this discussion since it does relate to "health!"

In a recent best-selling book, Dr.*Lewis Thomas, observed:
“As a people, we have become obsessed with Health. There is something fundamentally, radically unhealthy about all this. We do not seem to be seeking more exuberance in living as much as staving off failure, putting off dying. We have lost all confidence in the human body. The new consensus is that we are badly designed, intrinsically fallible, vulnerable to a host of hostile influences inside and around us, and only precariously alive. We live in danger of falling apart at any moment*.*.*.
“The trouble is, we are being taken in by the propaganda .*.*. We are, in real life, a reasonably healthy people. Far from being ineptly put together, we are amazingly tough, durable organisms, full of health, ready for most contingencies. The new danger to our well-being, if we continue to listen to all the talk, is in becoming a nation of healthy hypochondriacs, living gingerly, worrying ourselves half to death.
“And we do not have time for this sort of thing anymore, nor can we afford such a distraction from our other, considerably more urgent problems. Indeed, we should be worrying that our preoccupation with personal health may be a symptom of copping out, .*.*. while just outside, the whole of society is coming undone.”

my point is that the water that is used to produce that gallon of milk is water that primarily goes to grow alfalfa to feed the cows - so when you get right down to it, it's supporting plant crop production first and those plant crops then go to support livestock

To me, it's a rather different issue to discuss the difference in resources used to produce a balanced 2500 calorie per day (human) diet that's completely plant based vs. a balanced 2500 calorie per day diet that includes meat.

Looking at it as a one-sided issue leads to a greater potential for an alarmist viewpoint, which is what these documentary producers appear to have done.

does a gay cow require less water? is it politically incorrect to only eat gay cows?

6247804936_34a6eab23f_b.jpg

they say gay people take better care of enviroment. so i assume gay cows are better for enviroment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAN straight cows. EAT gay cows

The agriculture industry uses far more freshwater and emits more greenhouse gases than the entire oil industry. Don't believe me? Then watch this on netflix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV04zyfLyN4

I once had a Dumas professor who tried to convince a class of university students that It was better to see a field dug up and converted to housing than see Cows pasturing on it because cows caused more enviromental damage. I laughed out loud at him, but nearly fell out of my chair as some of my class mates pursed their lips and nodded their pretentious heads in agreement with the professor. I swear some people will believe anything. Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him.

I saw a comic strip, that I wish I had kept, the antagonist asked the central character to give up his car, and electronics to save the earth, then he asked him to give up his heat and electricity, then his clothes and food. Finally he asked him to lay down on a composite pile and wait....or the antagonist challenged," do you hate the earth?"

If any of you want to plow down meadows and sit in a cold house starving, so be it. But stop legislating it so that I have to suffer with you. [/ rant]

Last edited:
I once had a Dumas professor who tried to convince the class of university students that It was better to see a field dug up and converted to housing than see Cows pasturing on it because cows caused more enviromental damage. I laughed out loud at him, and nearly fell out of my chair as some of my class mates pursed their lips and nodded this their pretentious heads in agreement with the professor. I swear some people will believe anything. Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him.

I saw a comic strip, that I wish I had kept, the antagonist asked the central character to give up his car, and electronics to save the earth, then he asked him to give up his heat and electricity, then his clothes and food. Finally he asked him to lay down on a composite pile and wait....or the antagonist shallenged," do you hate the earth?"

If any of you want to plow down meadows and sit in a cold house starving, so be it. But stop legislating it so that I have to suffer with you. [/ rant]

Hey man, I agree with you. It's pretty stupid to get bent out of shape over the possibility of something bad happening. I'm just saying that agriculture is worse for the environment than the oil industry but the oil industry takes the bad rap. That's all lil cuddy!

I once had a Dumas professor who tried to convince the class of university students that It was better to see a field dug up and converted to housing than see Cows pasturing on it because cows caused more enviromental damage. I laughed out loud at him, and nearly fell out of my chair as some of my class mates pursed their lips and nodded this their pretentious heads in agreement with the professor. I swear some people will believe anything. Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him.

I saw a comic strip, that I wish I had kept, the antagonist asked the central character to give up his car, and electronics to save the earth, then he asked him to give up his heat and electricity, then his clothes and food. Finally he asked him to lay down on a composite pile and wait....or the antagonist shallenged," do you hate the earth?"

It's only so if you count the transportation, which you shouldn't. If those calories aren't being transported as beef they will still need to be transported in another form. They count the total greenhouse gas cost of animal calories instead of the difference between animal calories and plant calories. He also fails to recognize that while methane is a "greenhouse gas that is 100 times more powerful than CO2" the fact that it spends much less time in the atmosphere means that its effect is transient. Whereas CO2 lasting a long time in the atmosphere makes its effect much more accumulative. We can't prevent global warming without reducing CO2 emissions. This dude is a tard.

The same goes for water use. The dude in this doc just throws out a big number without comparing it to alternatives. For instance he claims it takes something like 600 gallons to produce a cheeseburger but doesn't say how many gallons of water it takes to produce a salad. The reason he doesn't is because the numbers don't seem so absurd once you realize that it takes ****loads of water to produce anything.

All that being said is vegan more efficient? Yeah, but not to the degree he presents it to be.