What's new

Election night

BTP

Tonight's the election for the German Bundestag(equal to the senate) and it's determined who's the head of the government for the next 4 years.
I just wondered if that's getting attention outside of Germany, since we have a wide array of nationalities present on this board.

No one in the US gives a ****. Our media outlets don't usually cover foreign elections without major corruption.

Tonight's the election for the German Bundestag(equal to the senate) and it's determined who's the head of the government for the next 4 years.
I just wondered if that's getting attention outside of Germany, since we have a wide array of nationalities present on this board.

Hmm, our media looks from a self-seeker standpoint.

bqA4g54.png

Reads roughly: "The destiny of the 3M Turks will be determined with this election."

Referring the Turks in Germany. Is it a wrong number? I have no idea about the real number.

Oh I looked it up and they are right. Somehow I guessed it was betweeen 5 and 8 millions. But I never researched it and always had neighborhoods around me that consisted mainly of Turks or Germans with Turkish ancestors.

Oh I looked it up and they are right. Somehow I guessed it was betweeen 5 and 8 millions. But I never researched it and always had neighborhoods around me that consisted mainly of Turks or Germans with Turkish ancestors.

Yes, I looked a bit too, it's probably around 4 millions with the partially-Turks.

How is it going for Merkel? As far as I understand it's more about the seats distribution and a battle between the coalition government and the opposition.

Yes, I looked a bit too, it's probably around 4 millions with the partially-Turks.

The 3 Million are people living in Germany with a Turkish passport, and people who have a German passport, but at least 1 parent is of Turkish descent and has lived an extended period in Turkey or possessed a Turkish passport in the past.
Nearly all of them live in West Germany, that's why the number is so low. I have never been in East Germany, so I didn't know almost none of people fitting that category are living there.

The result at this point is that Merkel's party is close to a majority(lacking 2 or 3 seats to achieve that). Their coalition partner has failed to get over the 5% threshold to get seats in the Bundestag. So that leaves the government situation probably unresolved.
So we no longer have a homosexual foreign minister who doesn't speak English :D
Less funny vids of him visiting traditional Arabic countries.

I have been following it on my own, a little, as I have some interest due to friends that live there.

Some of my friends have very strong opinions.