What's new

Elijah Hughes to the Jazz

Andy's kind of a moron though. I have never got anything illuminating or interesting out of him ever.
Strongly disagree. He is a nerd but he knows what he's talking about. He doesn't get the insider info. Locke is an outside the box thinker but he gets annoying and sometimes tends to pound the **** out of one key.

Andy's kind of a moron though. I have never got anything illuminating or interesting out of him ever.
His Triple Threat breakdown after each game is really good. I think that's the best stuff he does.

Other than he's more analytics focused than I like.

I think Andy is right. From a value perspective drafting bigs usually isnt the right call. I wouldn't have done it.

But if the Jazz think he is that guy then you can break the rules. I hated the Gobert pick when it happened. I thought we have Kanter and Favors, why are we wasting this pick. Udoka has the physical attributes to be a really impactful player. I hope it pans out.

Tony is just there to report the news. Not there to offer his opinion. I wish we had more journalists like him.
Yeah, Tony is a beat writer who focuses on breaking news, fan engagement, and leaking information to the fans. He gives his opinions on strategy/players/performance but it isnt his focus I would say.

Andy is a beat writer who focuses more on tactics, analytics, and critical analysis.

Locke is there to give breakdowns and a close insight to the team. He paints everything as glass half full. That might legitimately be who he is, but I'm sure it's also partially due to the employment situation. I don't think he really lies about anything though.

Yeah, Tony is a beat writer who focuses on breaking news, fan engagement, and leaking information to the fans. He gives his opinions on strategy/players/performance but it isnt his focus I would say.

Andy is a beat writer who focuses more on tactics, analytics, and critical analysis.

Locke is there to give breakdowns and a close insight to the team. He paints everything as glass half full. That might legitimately be who he is, but I'm sure it's also partially due to the employment situation. I don't think he really lies about anything though.
Locke is a classic homer, sort of like a Tommy Heinsohn lite.

Here is Andy himself talking about the differences between him and TJ. I like how we have these kinds of different methods/perspectives in our media guys.

I'd say this: The difference between Tony and me is the classic reporter vs. analyst conundrum.

Tony is better at cultivating and keeping sources than I am. That has a ton of value, obviously. But it also means that sometimes, he'll sometimes act as a mouthpiece for the organization in order to protect or stay in the positive light of his source. Like, this week, he wrote "The Jazz like Tony Bradley... It’s not like they are sitting up in an office thinking they have to find another big to back Gobert up." And in reality, the moves today showed how they absolutely felt they had to find another big to back Gobert up, and told TJ the opposite in order to maintain favor with their player and try to keep his trade value high. Tony will usually avoid the negative.

On the other hand, I tend to report things as I see them, informed by both some sourcing but also mostly a dose of reality. You guys watched Tony Bradley. The Jazz watched Tony Bradley. And sometimes, yeah, I heard their stock spiel about how much they like him. And then sometimes, I heard their honest real-life criticism of him, which was "yeah, this guy is killing us right now." And, you know, the numbers showed that he wasn't good, so I reported that. But then I write about how Bradley isn't good or Exum isn't good or how the coaching staff wanted Mirotic, and that kind of negative coverage doesn't lead to improved relationships, haha, and it probably holds back that side of my career.

Anyway, regarding the OP's two screenshots, I don't think they're as opposite as they appear. I think it makes no sense now to use the whole MLE on a big like Fav will probably get, but there are other ways to add lesser bigs in free agency if they want, but they may not have the roster space to do it.

(Also: Tony and I are like best friends. We, no joke, talk on the phone multiple times a day. He's great. He's nominated for Utah Sportswriter of the Year, and would deserve it. He's the weirdest bestest human.)

Here is Andy himself talking about the differences between him and TJ. I like how we have these kinds of different methods/perspectives in our media guys.

That is great stuff. Makes all the sense in the world. Thanks for posting.

Finally a draft where the Jazz take my guy.

2018 I wanted Donte Divincenzo. He was picked before we had a chance. He turned out to be good.

2019 I wanted Lu Dort. We passed 3 times. He turned out to be good.

2020 I wanted Elijah Hughes and we got Elijah Hughes. He'll be good.

He was top 20 on my board. One of the best steals of the night.

It's actually pretty interesting how similar Mitchell and Hughes numbers were coming out of college.

Mitchell averaged 16ppg on 41% FGs and 35% 3pt, 4.9 rebs, 2.7 assists, TS% of 53%, PER 22.
Hughes averaged 19 ppg on 42% FGs and 34% 3pt, 4.9 rebs, 3.4 assists, TS% of 56%, PER 22.

Both were the guy on their team, took a lot of tough/bad shots and as a result were fairly inefficient scorers. But both guys have excellent shooting strokes, great range and could score at all three levels and get their shot any time they wanted.

Of course it would be silly to compare Hughes and Mitchell straight up or expect Hughes to even come close to what Mitchell has done, but they do have some similarities coming out and Mitchell has shown that a guy who didn't shoot lights out in college can become a pretty damn good scorer/shooter at the NBA level when surrounded by better players.

Andy Larsen said on his podcast today that people he's talked to in the organization compared him too Rodney Hood...thought that was interesting. Hughes actually did post up a bit and rise up to get his shot off really well, but it seemed like Hood could just shoot over anyone when he wanted to.