What's new

EuroBasket Thread

Coach Ellis

We could’ve had:

Sexton
Bojan
Lauri
Gobert

Then be able to go shopping with Conley’s contract and a whole bunch of first rounders.
As a massive fan of Rudy, it would’ve been interesting to see what the team would’ve looked like if they had made the Mitchell trade and retooled around Gobert.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the return would’ve propelled the team into contention and a couple of these contracts are going to expire or become onerous quickly.

Still love Rudy - even if I’m rooting for his team to suck this year.

whatthe

We could’ve had:

Sexton
Bojan
Lauri
Gobert

Then be able to go shopping with Conley’s contract and a whole bunch of first rounders.
I was the only one (well I think Ferg did a little too) who was screaming to sign Lauri last year when we had the chance. I think the luxury tax stopped us.

I follow the Locke PAC ratings. Lauri has always been a net positive and Sexton is also a bigger positive than Mitchell. The defense could be a problem ( that's Lauri problem and it indirectly messes up his offense too due to being benched) and the second unit will likely be what tanks us. But dang, our starting unit could be more productive on offense than last year!

Ironically we are two all stars away from being in the top 4 in the West. We could draft a couple this year, if not I would use most of our draft capital to trade for two allstars next year unless a bargain falls into our laps this season (Ayton, Brown).

Last edited:

NUMBERICA

As a massive fan of Rudy, it would’ve been interesting to see what the team would’ve looked like if they had made the Mitchell trade and retooled around Gobert.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the return would’ve propelled the team into contention and a couple of these contracts are going to expire or become onerous quickly.

Still love Rudy - even if I’m rooting for his team to suck this year.
What I'm frustrated with is it seemed like there wasn't any interest in seizing an opportunity to acquire him when his offseason situation was in a ton of flux last year. Maybe instead of using a 1st to dump Favors, packaging a 1st with Favors and some **** to make it happen. I don't know. He seemed very available for any team willing to put in a good faith offer.

I've always been high on Lauri, and he looks ****ing awesome.

JazzFever

We just need to be in the bottom 10 for two years. Our lack of experienced depth and defense + trading Bogey/Mike should do the trick and then a *very* fast rise back up the conference.

sip

Sexton, Beasley, Fontecchio, Markkanen and Vanderbilt might end up being a lot better than expected. Super curious to see how it all comes together. Weak bench and playing young players big minutes might be the key to effectively tanking.

The hard part will be creating a weak bench. We have crazy depth right now so we need to try to move guys without taking back quality depth.

JazzFever

The hard part will be creating a weak bench. We have crazy depth right now so we need to try to move guys without taking back quality depth.
As long as we get rid of Mike and Bojan we'll lose plenty. We'll have 'good' players top to bottom, but we won't have anyone to be difference makers. The league is historically good in both conferences right now, and over the course of a game our lack of any 'great' players will lose us most of our games.

We'll probably be pretty sad when the next expansion draft comes around just as we want to keep everyone.

KqWIN

Sexton, Beasley, Fontecchio, Markkanen and Vanderbilt might end up being a lot better than expected. Super curious to see how it all comes together. Weak bench and playing young players big minutes might be the key to effectively tanking.

Just an FYI, it's kind of impossible to be a bad team just on the basis of a bad bench. If you look at all the bad teams throughout the years, their starters are also getting clapped. You can always bench your starters if they're playing "too" well....but there are enough teams with a horrible bench and horrible starters that you can't be a bottom feeder without both. I saw the 13/14 Jazz being referenced as a team with good starters but bad bench. Reality is that even the good young players (Hayward, Favors, Burks etc) also got clobbered even if they showed promise and eventually became good players.

That said, I don't think the Jazz have to worry here. We have a handful of good players, but they will still get destroyed.