What's new

Favors needs more minutes

Favors Flave

What will it take for him to get more minutes, especially during crunch time??? He is our best defensive player and probably best defensive rebounder. He only had 3 fouls yesterday and 2 of them were absolute crap calls. It grinds my gears that the line up at the end of the game is Watson,Harris,Bell,Ak,Big Al. It should be Harris, Hayward,Ak, Favors, Big Al

The season is over, give the rookies minutes and experience. If Corbin won't play them when we aren't in the playoff run, what will he do when they are?

Actually, the Jazz are in a playoff run.

I mentioned this in the game thread, but Corbin decided to go with the veterans at about 6 and a half minutes to go. At the time, it was Harris, Bell, CJ, AK, Jefferson.

I thought Corbin panicked a bit going to this lineup with that much time left. He switched Watson in for Harris for a bit. I assume ball handling. I don't remember if the Sixers had Holiday and Williams on the floor at the same time. I believe Favors should have been in the game a bit longer in the fourth. He was doing some good things defensively.

In the overtime, it made sense, though, to have the small lineup. Even at the 4 position, AK was guarding Iguodala. The Sixers went WAY small. I'm not sure about you, but the idea of Favors guarding Iguodala does not seem that appealing to me.

Favors makes a lot of rookie mistakes. That's why I think Corbin doesn't want him playing in a close game near the end.

Yea because the vets never make mistakes. It is this type of thinking that has always annoyed me. When young players make mistakes then they get less playing time but when vets make mistakes it is ok because they have experience.

Actually, the Jazz are in a playoff run.

I mentioned this in the game thread, but Corbin decided to go with the veterans at about 6 and a half minutes to go. At the time, it was Harris, Bell, CJ, AK, Jefferson.

I thought Corbin panicked a bit going to this lineup with that much time left. He switched Watson in for Harris for a bit. I assume ball handling. I don't remember if the Sixers had Holiday and Williams on the floor at the same time. I believe Favors should have been in the game a bit longer in the fourth. He was doing some good things defensively.

In the overtime, it made sense, though, to have the small lineup. Even at the 4 position, AK was guarding Iguodala. The Sixers went WAY small. I'm not sure about you, but the idea of Favors guarding Iguodala does not seem that appealing to me.

Now we know why you are not a coach. Ai Would run right around favors.. Your team would be pathetic

We might as well put this on the rinse-repeat cycle for the next 50 years because professional coaches aren't going to play amateur fans favorite youngsters over guys they believe do a better job. Fes, Hayward, CJ, Favors... same story, different year.

Yea because the vets never make mistakes. It is this type of thinking that has always annoyed me. When young players make mistakes then they get less playing time but when vets make mistakes it is ok because they have experience.

Who said this? The idea is veterans make less mistakes and ones that aren't as bad. That's why they're made long enough to become veterans.

I would play Favors about 25 minutes per game at this point in the season. I don't really care when during the game. He has a lot of raw talent and the only way to really learn is to play in real game-time situations.

Favors is actually a little bit more polished then I thought. He doesn't have great footwork but he has some moves. And when he gets the ball in close and facing the basket - watch out. Between his length, hops and willing to attack the basket - the kid is a beast.

What I've come to learn in the NJ media is The Nets never ran plays for him. Avery Johnson just told him to go out there and grab boards, get put-backs, etc.

His foul problems on defense stems from a mixture of being a rookie and putting his body in prone positions where a saavy vet could easily draw a foul. I think you've already seen some improvement with that. When you're 6'10' and have a long wing span sometimes standing straight up with your arms fully extended is more than enough. I saw him do that 3 times against Philly, twice on Elton Brand where he had no option but to pass the ball back out to the perimeter.

I'm calling it now - the kid is going to be an All-Star someday. I just hope he's still in Utah when it happens.

Well, for one thing, he doesn't know how to defend the pick and roll yet. He is constantly moving too slow to cut off the point guard. I've seen him out of position and making bad passes more often than not. He's still very raw. Look how long it took Big Al to pick up the offense and he's a vet, so I think Corbin just wants to bring him along slowly.

Interesting write4u, to me it seems like he is our best pick and roll defender. He really hedges the pick hard and gets quickly back to his man

Interesting write4u, to me it seems like he is our best pick and roll defender. He really hedges the pick hard and gets quickly back to his man

Our best pick and roll defender is Elson, IMO. And thats kinda sad. But he executes well defensively on the P&R and knows how to get to his spots.

Our best pick and roll defender is Elson, IMO. And thats kinda sad. But he executes well defensively on the P&R and knows how to get to his spots.

I agree and it doesn't surprise me. PnR defense is a learned skill and to execute it very well typically takes experience and solid coaching, along with some smarts.

Favors just showed how great he can become. 13,5 and 3 blocks in 24 min and played great team and man to man D

This. In a year or 2 he and AJ together will be a nightmare matchup for just about any front line out there.