What's new

FIBA Stuff

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rXUuF5kR7Dg

Highlights from Finland Estonia match. Commentary in Finnish. Finland in blue, Estonia in white.

Finland played like poo during first half, especially on D. Estonia is not a very skilled or athletic team, but they always play hard vs Finland (some sort of "little brother -syndrome", I guess).

Things didn't get better as all three Finnish PG's became unavailable after five minutes (two didn't dress for the match as cautionary measures, and the third got a bump in his thigh early in the game, so he too was taken aside just to be safe). Lauri and Sasu Salin (a SG, one of the best 3p shooters in Europe, and the team captain) took over as primary ballhandlers, and at first it didn't go well.

During second half Finland began to get their act together, especially as Salin seemingly became more comfortable at being the floor general. Still, the match was very close until the final minute. End result 86-80 for Finland.

What's your opinion on Miro Little? Do you think he will be good enough to play in the World Cup 24?

What's your opinion on Miro Little? Do you think he will be good enough to play in the World Cup 24?
There is no World Cup next year (the Paris Olympic games are next year though, but Finland likely won't be anywhere close to the two European teams (in addition to France) who will make it there), but I am going to assume the "24" was a typo and you actually meant this year World Cup.

Personally I have not seen Miro Little play in a year, though I did watch a couple of his highlights from last winter. The short answer to your question: Yes, he is good enough to play for Team Finland in the World Cup.

I know the expectations on him are high in Team Finland, and he is expected to compete for the primary PG spot (Edon Maxhouni being the other prime candidate). If the World Cup was next year, I don't think there would be any competition between those two anymore, as Miro Little is an exceptional prospect (for a Finnish basketball player; ie he might even get a chance to be drafted to the NBA). But as of now, unless he has developed much more than I would have expected, he still probably will see the game is much faster and tougher at World Cup than what he is used to in NCAA. I believe he is good enough passer when/if he has time to read the game, and that he is big enough threat from 3p to not be given too much time. He likely will have problems defending against grown up FIBA level players, and when driving to the basket he probably will run into many bumps as he is not used to the gorillas who are used as Centers under FIBA rules (which may be something even Team USA will have problems with in some games).

There is no World Cup next year (the Paris Olympic games are next year though, but Finland likely won't be anywhere close to the two European teams (in addition to France) who will make it there), but I am going to assume the "24" was a typo and you actually meant this year World Cup.

Personally I have not seen Miro Little play in a year, though I did watch a couple of his highlights from last winter. The short answer to your question: Yes, he is good enough to play for Team Finland in the World Cup.

I know the expectations on him are high in Team Finland, and he is expected to compete for the primary PG spot (Edon Maxhouni being the other prime candidate). If the World Cup was next year, I don't think there would be any competition between those two anymore, as Miro Little is an exceptional prospect (for a Finnish basketball player; ie he might even get a chance to be drafted to the NBA). But as of now, unless he has developed much more than I would have expected, he still probably will see the game is much faster and tougher at World Cup than what he is used to in NCAA. I believe he is good enough passer when/if he has time to read the game, and that he is big enough threat from 3p to not be given too much time. He likely will have problems defending against grown up FIBA level players, and when driving to the basket he probably will run into many bumps as he is not used to the gorillas who are used as Centers under FIBA rules (which may be something even Team USA will have problems with in some games).
No, I meant Olympics in 24, my bad

No, I meant Olympics in 24, my bad
The Olympic basketball tournament is organised in the Olympic spirit, which means teams all over the world are in, not the best teams in the world. It is quite debatable if Finland would be in the best 12 teams in the World anyway, but it is pretty much guaranteed Finland is not one of the two European teams getting to the Olympics (unless Lauri becomes a god on roller-skates and succeeds drag Finland into medal games in the World Cup; I have to admit I am not a big believer in roller-skates). As such, to answer your question if I believe Miro Little will play in the Olympic tournament next year, nope, I don't believe that.

Interesting bit of info. One of the players in the finnish NT (Ilari Seppälä) gave an interview where he stated that the team strategy is to achieve "organized chaos" on the court.

Didnt Hardy use that exact expression more than few times in his pressers?

Fontecchio is looking very well, still feel strange if he cannot translate it in NBA games. Probably a question of confidence. Hope this year wil be the year he can become an important player. 12 more days and i will be in the place , can't wait !

France beat Luthuania 76-70 in a close game where defense was the moddo. Good performance from Rudy who have a good fight with Valenciunas. French should be good at this WC, good roster, good vets and most important a really good defense. But I stll think they may be short of offense against USA or Canada, let's see.

No one had anything to say about the USA v Slovenia game? I'm just starting to watch it. Bummer Luka is being held out. I assume Walker won't be playing much again.

No one had anything to say about the USA v Slovenia game? I'm just starting to watch it. Bummer Luka is being held out. I assume Walker won't be playing much again.
Well, a Lukaless Slovenia is about half as interesting of how interesting Puerto Rico is.

Walker had a sweet spin move in the open court… and that’s about it

He played only 3 minutes. I think everyone else was in double digits. He must have backed over Kerr’s dog on the way to the arena.
Steve Kerr just doesn’t have much need for a traditional big in his system. Kessler is more of an insurance policy if he needs one. Hopefully it motivates Walker to prove that he’s better than the guys getting run over him though.

Steve Kerr just doesn’t have much need for a traditional big in his system. Kessler is more of an insurance policy if he needs one. Hopefully it motivates Walker to prove that he’s better than the guys getting run over him though.
Sure, but when you are up by 40 you might play Kessler a bit more