What's new

Flip tells utah to buy a fishing pole

I remember when Flip got fired as the Timberwolves coach after the Wolves lost to the Jazz. Good times.

Sanders gotta say about the result. So what will happen if Utah, Houston or Lakers become 7th, 8th or not? Thunder and Spurs will rape whoever they face. It's just not meaningful to discuss about.

This is really going to go down to the wire regarding Houston, Utah, and L.A. (Warriors should finish in the playoffs at this point unless they really collapse.)

Lakers have a pretty average schedule. Basically even split home and away, against over .500 teams and under, 5 b2b's. Assuming that their current play is indicative of them turning a corner of some sort and they keep playing the same way, they'll likely get to 44 wins. I wouldn't be shocked to seem them revert and struggle to get to 41 though.

Rockets have an easier schedule than the Lakers, with 14 home and 10 away games, and just 10 games against teams over .500 (and 14 against under .500 teams), with 4 b2b's. I would expect them to improve on their current win percentage over the remaining games, meaning they will should finish with at least 44 wins, and probably 45 or 46. Predicting less than 44 wins for them I think is a mistake.

Jazz have 14 games at home, 12 on road. 14 games against >.500 teams, 12 against below .500 teams. 3 b2bs. An average difficulty schedule. Our schedule is not as easy as the Rockets, but easier than the Lakers. Assuming we go 14-12 on this stretch which is very reasonable, we end at 45-37. I would be really surprised if we end with less than 44 wins given our schedule. We project to finish with about the same record as Houston. Maybe one win better. Given our sched, I find it very unlikely we end up at 43 wins. That would be some serious underperforming.

What this means is that, given schedules, Houston and Utah project to about 45 wins each at this point. Basically, this means the Lakers need to really go on a tear to make the playoffs, or one of these two teams (or I guess the Warriors) has to really underperform in relation to their schedule. It's possible the Lakers go crazy and finish the season 19-6 or something, in which case they manage 47-35 which will almost certainly be enough to someone out. Other than that, it will be neck and neck with Houston, Utah, L.A. all around that 45 win mark. Or, just as likely, L.A. finishes around 41 wins and isn't really in the race for a spot.

Basically, count the # of road games against ~= over .500 teams and count them as losses. Then hope we win most our home games and half o the rest of thr road games.

Guys as long as the group continues to work hard and improve and continues to get better and lets the defense dictate the offense then everything will be fine and we will make the playoffs and put up a good fight in all four games.

Flip assumes that all factors remain stable. If Kobe goes out for 5 games what happens to the lakers? If Harden sprains an ankle? No need to worry about it until I have to.

Of course this doesn't look bad to me either....
Small-Mountain-Stream.jpg

If we go 3-9 on the road the rest of the year and 10-4 at home then we'll be 44-38. Lakers will have to go 17-8 to beat us. They've been winning lately but the last two could have gone either way against mediocre teams. Now of course if they beat Denver that may be a bad indication of a major upward trend

As I've said in a previous post, our worst nightmare is having the Lakers make the playoffs at our expense! However, we've got something going for us that won't allow that to happen: AGE! Nash is NOT going to hold up! I doubt seriously that Gasol and Howard will hold up either! One guy is very old the other two are now injury prone! Plus, the Lakers are still pathetically weak on defense and on the bench!

The Rockets just lost to the Wizards. As long as the Jazz beat who they are suppose to beat, and win games at home, we will make the playoffs.

...of course, if the Jazz lose to the pathetic Celtics at home tonight, after the Celtics having played last night.....ALL BETS ARE OFF!

Lets see if the Lakers beat the Nuggets on the road tonight and revisit the discussion. The Jazz are 4 games up on the Lakers in the loss column with about 25 games to go. The Lakers basically have to win 7 out of every 10, so long as the Jazz go 5-5. Keep in mind, the Jazz hold the tie-break from winning the season series, so the Lakers have to make up a full 5 games.

In other words, for every 5 games that remain for each team, the Lakers need to win one more game than the Jazz. They need to pull this off 5x consecutively to make it. It's possible, but not assured.

If this comes down to the wire, however, you can bet the media and the refs will be pulling for the Lakers, just for TV revenue alone. If that's the case, then fine, the Jazz will pick #14 and have a shot at Trey Burke.

There is no use arguing about it. We'll see what happens come end of season.

At which point, we'll gloat. Post all over Lakers boards laughing at them, telling them they're bad.. mock clutchfans.. locate Flip Saunders on Facebook/Twitter/Inatgram and remind him of what he said.

I think that if the Jazz really cared that much about a serious playoff run this year, then Tinsley wouldn't be our starting PG. The Jazz are holding fast to whatever plan they have.

I think that if the Jazz really cared that much about a serious playoff run this year, then Tinsley wouldn't be our starting PG. The Jazz are holding fast to whatever plan they have.

Obviously the plan is for Mo to be the starting PG. Hopefully Burks will get some PG minutes during the playoffs. Surely you don't think the Jazz intend to start Tinsley in the playoffs?

Until now, the Jazz were playing for the trading deadline. Now that the trade deadline has passed, I'm not sure what they're playing for other than to get Burks, Kanter and Favors more time.

With Tinsley, Foye and Marvin Williams going 0 for 9 for zero points collectively, I think the Jazz need to shake up the line-ups. If they don't, I'll be puzzled.

Ho hum......Jazz are going to win 3 in a row this week and we'll all be talking 5th seed again.